Can Sigma 50-150 AF speed match Nikon 80-200 AF-S?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I currently have a Nikon 80-200 F2.8 AF-S.

Thinking about buying a Sigma 50-150 F2.8 as I use mostly the 100-140 range.

Does anyone use this lens for doing sport work, mainly running and cycling?

I normally do events with 200 - 500 runners and generally pick a spot and then robotically take each runner coming by. Occasionally when they are bunched, I have to do a bit of zooming, so this is where the AF needs to be on top form to cope with taking 3 or 4 different subjects in a matter of seconds.

The 80-200 breezes it. But the appeal of the 50-150 is I could use it more for leisure (holidays etc) as its much smaller/lighter rather than dragging the tank like 80-200 around - its overkill for those scenarios.

I may end up having both....but I'd like to hear from 50-150 users first (and before I commit to selling my 80-200).

Cheers,
Andy

I have a Sigma 50-150mm and its faster than my Sigma 70-200mm and that is fast. But i have not used a old Nikon 80-200mm so could not say what one is faster.

I have a Sigma 50-150mm and its faster than my Sigma 70-200mm and that is fast. But i have not used a old Nikon 80-200mm so could not say what one is faster.

That's interesting that its quicker than than the 70-200mm. I'd already ruled the 70-200 out as pretty close to what I've got (heavy!). I'd just keep my 80-200.

I'd also be using it on a pro body so the extra power would help with driving the AF motor.

I'd also be using it on a pro body so the extra power would help with driving the AF motor.

Assuming you are talking about the 80-200.. The 50-150 will not be driven any faster.

HSM and AF-S lenses don't work that way.

You only gain a benefit from high torque screw driven bodies.

Assuming you are talking about the 80-200.. The 50-150 will not be driven any faster.

HSM and AF-S lenses don't work that way.

You only gain a benefit from high torque screw driven bodies.

Hi Puddleduck,

Your saying the 50-150 wont be any faster, but will it be any slower, which is my main concern? I'm currently very happy with the performance of the 80-200 and I'd need the same level of performance for the 50-150.

Thanks,
Andy

You said you take photos of cycling. If you travel a lot to do this up to Manchester or the North East you are welcome to have a try with my lenses. PS did you sell your D2Hs?

You said you take photos of cycling. If you travel a lot to do this up to Manchester or the North East you are welcome to have a try with my lenses. PS did you sell your D2Hs?

Dont get up your way that often, nearly all events round beds, bucks, northants, but kind offer, thanks! Yes, the D2Hs is sold.

I have the 50-150 on my canon kit
and it's fairly quick and lovely to use.
it's hardly a light piece of glass though!

Yes, but at 770g its nearly half the weight of 1345g 70-200 :)

Back