Can you feel the sunshine? (More Added)

cuthbert

Pugh Pugh Barney McGrew Me Dibble and Grubb
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

Not posted anything in here for a while, in fact, i haven't really been able to get out with my camera because the weather has been so pants again.

i think every single shot here was shot in a few minute window before it started chucking it down, all very frustrating. looking forward to doing a shoot for my cousin which should be great fun, which i will share here... it's also been put off numerous times. just one of those things.

These are a bit of a mix of the 135/2 and 35 1.4 lenses.

As always c+c very much appreciated.

7592354854_d98545445b_c.jpg

7592352106_9886d7bf41_c.jpg

7592611412_eaca4d1e99_c.jpg

7592867224_5f2af9e067_c.jpg

7592355832_13af445123_c.jpg

7592358012_c5b871feda_c.jpg

Last edited:
7592360356_25a069e6a3_c.jpg

7593081770_91b9f903b6_c.jpg

7592351160_e09d02ba5a_c.jpg

Yep looks like we have had our summer... Again!

Lovely shots and lovely kids! Great DOF in the first one, the third one... Was you hanging upside down from the bar at the top of the swing?? :D

Wow I am new here so jumping straight in. Just to say I particularly love number 1. The image just draws you in.

Hope you don't mind me trying to critique? I think it helps to learn watching others at work.

I really like 3 and 6....the facial expression in number 8 i like as well. Im pretty new to photography but those are the ones that stand out for me

All are amazing shots. My favourite is number 1 - fantastic composition.

Could I ask what post processing was done!

well you have certainly made up for it in those windows... though get out in the rain man, stick the waterproofs on the kids and get them puddle jumping! :D\

1 - love it... central compositions often don't work but this one does imo.

2 - nice use of DoF to focus on the eyes

3 - great idea but might have been tempted to turn camera round a little, get more of an angle so she isn't cramped on the top edge, work across the diagonals instead.

4 - another lovely idea, can't help but feel its on the wonk, probably because the window frame upright nearest camera is leaning and the impression is the that her weight out of the window is creating a tilt, so perhaps correct the distortion or rotate a tad? Again, good use of dof

5 - (y)

6 - my absolute favourite of this set, light, summer, composition, pp, everything just works for me :clap:

7 & 8 - both well composed and nicely shot/processed, but lack the umph when sitting with the others in the set for me. Nothing wrong with them at all mind you. ;)

9 - I really like this too, just a shame the foxgloves haven't got the light on them that the other has, and it looks a little uncomfortable in the frame chopped at her knees... you could crop, but maybe next time if shooting from lower down like that, perhaps ask her to drop her knees down so they are out of frame completely.

Overall though, this is a gorgeous set of pictures of the kids (y)

I think these are all superb. I would only say that 7 and 8 are possibly the weakest of a great bunch. In 3. I much prefer this to a 45 degree angle. The lines on 4 are to me spot on, IMO anywhere else and it would look wonky. In 9 it's my guess you've gone for a lower key look which again IMO works superbly in it's own right. Overall, BRILLIANT!

Really great photos. All are excellent but numbers 5 and 6 are my favourites here. Absolutely superb.

This isn't helping me not buy a telephoto prime you know!

My fav's no 4,6,9. The skin colours are lovely, nice depth of field and composition, you seem to have conquered the colours, really natural. Excellent proccessing.

Mate you seriously are my inspiration for portraits. All brilliant shots, no 2 has to be my fav.

Matt

Great set, 2 is dreamy and one of the best portraits I have seen in a while, while love no. 9.

Sickeningly good shots, I doubt I will ever produce photos like these!
9 is my pick of the bunch, mainly for the expression, but it is a shame, as mentioned above that the light didnt pick out the foxgloves.
I'll get back to you in 20 years, when I am good enough to critique them further!

I agree with Matt, I think no2 is fantastic! Really easy to just keep looking at it. Wonder if I'll ever be able to justify the 35 1.4....

Excellent as always Mark!

They are all great and for different reasons. But No.5 is a style of shot I keep seeing from you and its one I LOVE!

You're home bust be filled with pictures on the wall! But god knows how you manage to choose what to print!! :D

Echoing the above, I think these are great. Lovely reminders of their summer!

As always, just ace. To sound like a broken record number 2 is awesome. Would love to have images of this quality of my kids!

S

Really nice. Some beautiful images.

My only comment would be in the second photo, you have sharpened the eye in focus which is fine, however you have also sharpened the eye that was not in focus to the same degree. Almost looks like 2 separate focus points. Difficult to explain but I hope you know what I mean. Looks a little unnatural.

Love the colours and the composition.

Matt

Last edited:
Your usual standard as erm...usual Mark.Love them all and that is the next 2 lenses I want to go with my Sigma 85mm and I will be a happy chappy.

Which lens do you think you use the most or prefer?Debating which one to get first?The Sony Carl Zeiss 135mm or which ever 35mm I decide on.

Thanks again everyone for all your lovely words and comments and thank you Yvonne for taking the time to write some detailed crit.

I do agree that 7+8 are the weakest shots, I liked the expressions but the lighting was very poor.

4 is a difficult one, whichever vertical i straightened, it doesn't look perfect, i ended up making the main frame of the house straight as this would be the one part of it i think the observer would assume to be straight. I'm not sure if it's the lens or that the house itself is slightly deformed, it is in a kids playground and gets bashed about so i suspect that it is a bit off.

i've added a few other images from the weekend where the weather is has been much nicer, been able to venture out into a few different locations.

all shot with the 135 f/2

@dean - i prefer the 135 f/2 for portraits. the 35 1.4 has a completely different quality to it, it's an awesome lens but the bokeh can be quite fussy, i prefer to use it at fairly close range - the 135 just blows backgrounds into oblivion.
C+C as always very welcome.

7657022022_5d2846b60c_c.jpg

7657021164_4261b3f67c_c.jpg

7657022960_8cf8a12f6e_c.jpg

7657023826_89bb1151ea_c.jpg

7657025476_7323c25298_c.jpg

7657024684_0295950238_c.jpg

Last edited:
7657026296_37d8fe3ff4_c.jpg

7657026904_f962bc9459_c.jpg

7657027672_148b99812d_c.jpg

7657028590_18006b6873_c.jpg

20 (it's a bit annoying her knickers her are showing a bit. i've got a shot where they are not, but the expression isn't as good and i couldn't find a way to clone or hide it without drawing more attention to them)
7657029812_f451d5818b_c.jpg

7657020274_30c055f18f_c.jpg

Last edited:
I can only mirror what other have said- a truly lovely set, I can only hope I can become as proficient in Portraits as you obviously are :clap::clap:

Les (y)

ps my personal fave is No12

Last edited by a moderator:
Stunning. That is all!

Your photos are the only ones that I have to show the wife when you post them because they are all amazing. The one above of your daughter on the beach is simply beautiful. Some photos just have a huge wow factor and yours have a huge wow factor!!

I am looking at these as I would as if someone had took these of my kids.

I love them!!! They should be put on canvass / print and dotted all around the house. Especially love number 1 & 9. I soooo need that 135L

Actually 13 & 14 are my faves. Oh it's so hard to choose.

Last edited:
thanks again everyone for all your lovely words, all of you. it really means a lot to me.

Mark - are all these shot in natural light or are you using a reflector to fill shadows?

Back