Can you get any 'Frencher' than this?

Strangely enough, I am a great lover of B&W photography BUT #1 does it for me in this case. The muted colours work well with the small but bold splashes of strong colour with the yellow, orange and red of the sign, pumpkins and shop awning. (y)

Extra kudos points for you as well in resisting the urge to use selective colouring with it. :D

Got to agree, if you are thinking archetypical French, this pretty much fits the bill. I prefer the composition of the 2nd image, but would prefer it in colour like the 1st. As Marc says, the muted tones of the architecture work so well with the splashes of more vibrant colour from the pumpkins.

I actually think I would flip the processing, I'd have to top one converted to B&W as its a beautiful conversion, the colour is also wonderful but I find that the yellow "Presse" sign jumps out a little but converting to B&W would fix this, and as the composition of the second removes that from the scene I think that one would be the better one to have in colour

Thanks, everyone! :) I do have the colour of the second but I wasn't sure about it due to the modern white and blue box.....I guess that is a smaller distraction than the yellow Press sign!! :) I didn't bother converting the first one as I really liked the colours in it.....maybe I should've muted the colours a little in the modern advertising?

IMGP1457aR
by Fuzzyfelt30, on Flickr

.....and just to give it a bit of context, this is the newly redeveloped square that the brocante sits in (just off to the right, on the other side of the road).

IMGP1456bwr
by Fuzzyfelt30, on Flickr

Back