Critique Can you identify this image

Littletank

In Memoriam
Name
Norman
Edit My Images
Yes
This image is an old colour negative which has been developed and modified. I cannot remember where it was taken or what the scene represents other than it was somewhere in France, please can you identify it?

35nauzm.jpg

I have no idea with this one Norman, others may be of more help. Nice vivid image though.

I am hopeful that someone will know and thank you for your kind comment.

This is really, and I mean really, interesting.

My thoughts:

At first sight it's a mediaeval painting or sculpture of mourners at a tomb.
A group of women, chaperoned by two priests pass by a tomb of a man.

But is it?

The railings give the impression that it's a museum piece or protected.

The woman in blue would seem to be the widow. Her comforter, the only male apart from the priests, seems to have plans for the future.

The woman second from left is holding what - anointing oil? And why is the woman extreme left covering her face?

Look at the faces though. They are not mediaeval it seems to me.

Why are three of the women, and the priest on the right looking at the dead man's genitals and why is he holding them the way he is?

I'm betting it's no more mediaeval than I am. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Still interesting though.

In fact, if it is mediaeval, it's even more interesting.

Last edited:
Thank you, Simon, for a most interesting analysis. I believe that there was a time, in France, when the placing of carved and painted wooden figures in religious settings was not uncommon. I wonder what religion the priestly figures represented and who is inside that tomb and where it is and why?

It looks fairly modern. The colours are too vivid to be otherwise. The wall behind is curious, it almost looks to be concrete block but could be much older dressed stone. There appear to be two groups, the two grieving women who are dressed in blue and five other people presumably ecclesiastical. The figure on the tomb appears stylised and simply rendered.

It almost looks like an art installation, one taking inspiration from traditional religious images and themes. The railings look 'hand made' and high quality and appear to have the highlight of an artificial light suggesting perhaps this is indoors?

The above may be completely incorrect of course!

Tim, the problem is that I have no memory of where or when the original scene was photographed. The scene portrayed here is a variation on the original because it is part of a series of recycled old colour images that I am trying to revitalise. This process results in an increase in the vitality of some colours and there are changes in appearance that I have made for effect. Thus the wall was not red but a typical stone wall in a church or cathedral and I presume that is where the setting is.

I thought you might like to know that the puzzle has been solved. The grouping is the Placing in the Tomb of Jesus and the standing figures are said to represent starting from the right:- possibly one of the disciples, a holy woman holding a copy of the Gospels, Mary being comforted by John, Mary Magdalene holding a container of anointing oil, St Marie-Cleophas, a sister of Mary and, finally, Nicodemus. The group is in the cathedral in Moulins, Allier, France.

I was going to say that it looks like the easter equivalent of a nativity scene. Glad you've found your answer.

Back