Candid from Egypt

Edit My Images
Yes
Wasn't sure whether to post this in the wildlife section or here. But as it's mainly of a chap as opposed to his camel, I plumped for here. Candid shot from a fair way as these chaps often charge a bomb for photos. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

camel1resize-1.jpg

Thoughts?

It's a holiday snap.

There doesn't appear to be any forethought as to subject, compostion, exposure or anything.........:shrug:

Intrigued though as to why it's more of the guy than his camel....

It's a candid so there's not really a lot I could do to with regards to working with subject and it's environment. 40 degree heat means both subjects don't move a lot. Waited til late in the day to get better light and a few shadows to add something to the foreground, which was nothing but sand around him. Late in the day also throws shadow on to the hills in the background and hence reveals some shape and form, whereas earlier in the day the high sun hides this. There was a jetty to one side and rows of beach beds to the other. Angled myself around him to get the hills in the background otherwise it would have been nothing but empty sky. Subject was chosen as it shows a man resting in the shade at the end of a long hard day. He looks as though he has had enough. He was placed off centre and on thirds and as said earlier the composition was achieved by shifting around to change the background and remove all clutter. You may also notice that it was taken from a low angle, which isn't typical of most holiday snaps. I preferred the angle. Not really sure what's wrong with the exposure???
It's not a portrait as such, but as a candid, I would hardly say there was no thought into it. If you take a trip to places such as Sharm el Sheikh, you will find that it's pretty difficult to get a background like that on such a subject. They generally tend to congregate in cluttered touristy places which tend to have very messy ugly backgrounds. You may also notice that the format isn't that used in most holiday snaps. I picked a more wide format to follow the line of the camel and the hills. Squarer crops didn't really work for me. I hope that clears up why it isn't quite just a holiday snap and why there is a little thought behind it.

Last edited:
I really like it! Well framed, and sums up the Egyptians efforts selling rides as the day draws in... Well done!

I would have framed it slightly further to the right so that the mountain wasn't quite so central. I think there's a position you could get it in so that the mountain balanced the man and camel composition-wise. And I would lightly use a Dodge brush on the man's face just to see a little more of it. Other than that I think it's good.

I'm interested to know which camera you used. Does it have a 16x9 ratio setting, or did you just decide to crop it that way?

lovely image, we were totally ripped off by camel ride toutters in Turkey!!! You did well to steer clear!

I would have framed it slightly further to the right so that the mountain wasn't quite so central. I think there's a position you could get it in so that the mountain balanced the man and camel composition-wise. And I would lightly use a Dodge brush on the man's face just to see a little more of it. Other than that I think it's good.

I'm interested to know which camera you used. Does it have a 16x9 ratio setting, or did you just decide to crop it that way?

I used a Nikon d5000. I chose to crop it that way as it just seemed better balanced to me. I can see your point about the mountain and maybe shifting a little more to the right. I may have a look at the RAW files I have to see if I can have a play. Wasn't sure what to do with the fact that the chap has dark skin and is in shadow. I quite like the fact that he is hidden by shade, as that's the message I am trying to send, but then if he is the subject I can equally see your point about lightening his face a little with a little dodging. Might see if I can have a play with that too. Thanks for the advice and comments to you all. It's much appreciated.

I disagree with the no thought on composition comment, if no thought had gone into this composition, the camel and man would be slap in the middle, as it is it's on the right bottom third which is ok by me, i also feel there's enough light on the man's face and there is very subtle detail in the shadows, there's a haze over the mountain which you would expect due to the heat, I opened a levels adjustment layer and dialed in 20 0.96 230 and it got rid of a bit of haze and generally helped the colours, I think it's a pretty good record of an event witnessed whilst on holiday, I personally don't think it's a holiday snap.

....... I think it's a pretty good record of an event witnessed whilst on holiday, I personally don't think it's a holiday snap.

I have to agree, it doesn't look like a holiday snap to me either. Not so keen on the crop, don't think this subject matter suits a panaromaic crop and there is some haze but with a bit of work it could be a decent travelogue style shot

Steve

I have to say I like it too, and completely disagree with the holiday snap comment. The background does seem a bit lost though

I like it - where in Sharm was it taken?

I like it to, looks like a beautiful place to be (y)

:LOL: it's not a Holiday snap, it can't be because it's Egypt and there aren't 46 people in shorts and sandals in the way.

It's what I would call a brochure shot. This is exactly the sort of picture the newspapers have in there travel sections (also "Egypt's tourism recovering..." - may be worth sending it out to a few.

It's a decent long range candid shot.

I think it's better to shoot from some distance away rather than pay the prices these guys demand.

Thanks for the comments and replies folks. It was taken along the beach in Nabq where I spent a few hours. Not far from the shipwreck which I managed to get a few shots of which I will upload once I can get once PPd to the point I am happy with it. Was boat bound though for that one so couldn't get a decent angle. The hills in the background are Tiran island and always seem misty due to the haze in the air.

Last edited:
Ah, was in Nabq last year but not quite as far north so as to see that much of Tiran Island - look forward to seeing the shipwreck pics.

Back