Cannon 17-40 F4L vs 24-105 F4L

Name
Daniel Shillcock
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm having trouble deciding between these two lenses. Primarily, I am looking for a single lens that will serve me well whilst spending some time in the busy bustle of New York and the also the rural areas of northern Michigan. With a budget of £500, shooting on a 60D, I have narrowed my focus onto these two lenses. I have used the 17-40 F4L before and was pleasantly surprised by it's centre sharpness and smooth bokeh (for an F4), however I have not used the 24-105 F4L. Can anyone share their experiences with either of these lenses?

My thought process was that the 24-105 will provide more versatility, however I know what to expect from the 17-40 and the wider focal range may prove beneficial. Anyway, I would be hugely appreciative of any advice! Also, if I have overlooked any lenses, speak up! :)

I have both and I prefer the images from the 24-105

That said if I need the 17-24 range then the 24-105 is of no use.

No doubting the benefits of the 24-105 range as a walkabout but on a 60D you may find 24mm quite narrow.

In all honesty - if I was you, I'd be looking at either:

the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

or the Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-15-85mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Last edited:
I use a 24-105 for most of my shots and it's a good lens, the IS is a big bonus. Personally, I would be tempted to go for the 16-35 f4 with IS, although it does cost more (around £650 after the cash back offer).

Cheers Andy, I'll check out the 16-35, although it is more than my budget. I'll check out your Flickr for some sample 24-105 images albeit on FF ;)

I own both the 17-40 and 24-105 albeit on a full from (5D MkII)

the 24-105 lens stays on my camera most of the time except when I am out photographing landscapes which means I normally have the 17-40 on the camera.

Out of the two I would say the 24-105 will probably be more versatile but be aware that on your crop sensor the focal range will be the equivalent of c.38-168.

Having had a crop sensor camera before I'd agree with Phil - the EF-S 17-55 f 2.8 was a superb lens and was the one that I kept on my camera for everything except landscapes when I wanted the 10-22.

Take a look at my Flickr for examples of both the 17-40 and 24-105 https://www.flickr.com/photos/47677760@N07/

I wouldn't buy either on a crop ignore the little red L both are an unnecessary compromise. If you want one lens get a 16-85mm great range sharp and practical also consider 17-55mm f2.8 is.

Perhaps, but that is seriously stretching my budget! I am leaning towards the 24-105... !

Hi, I have both on a full frame body, I use the 24-105 for 85% of my shots (1,000s a month), the 17-40 is used very little, I use the 70-200 L IS more. The quality of the 24-105 is noticeably better as well, although it is the focal lengths that I prefer. As I only have full frame I can't comment on the crop specific lenses.

Neither for crop. But if you are set on either I'd say the 17-40 as it is wider.

I'd suggest the tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC. Can get it second hand for less than £200. Could then also get something like the sigma 10-20mm for wider shots

I have both and use them on both crop and full frame bodies. My 24-105 gets a lot more use than my 17-40 but my style of shooting favours longer focal lengths so I find the 17-40 quite limiting. I can imagine however that you might want a wide angle for city shooting and suspect that the 24-105 on a crop might not be wide enough for some of the shots you will want. As others have said it will be worth considering some of the lenses designed for crop cameras which will other the wide angle but give more at the long end than the 17-40. Really it will all come down to how you shoot and what sort of photos you are hoping to get.

I use the 24-105 on a crop and it's a great, sharp lens but the wide end isn't really wide enough and the long end isn't really long enough. For where you are going to be you will almost certainly want something wider than the 24-105 will offer. dinners suggestions are definitely worth a look.

Hi all,

I'm having trouble deciding between these two lenses. Primarily, I am looking for a single lens that will serve me well whilst spending some time in the busy bustle of New York and the also the rural areas of northern Michigan. With a budget of £500, shooting on a 60D, I have narrowed my focus onto these two lenses. I have used the 17-40 F4L before and was pleasantly surprised by it's centre sharpness and smooth bokeh (for an F4), however I have not used the 24-105 F4L. Can anyone share their experiences with either of these lenses?

My thought process was that the 24-105 will provide more versatility, however I know what to expect from the 17-40 and the wider focal range may prove beneficial. Anyway, I would be hugely appreciative of any advice! Also, if I have overlooked any lenses, speak up! :)

Canon designed the 17-55/2.8 as the premium quality standard-range zoom for general walkabout use on crop format cameras like the 60D. And very nice it is too. Then the 10-22 as a super-wide. I had both when using a crop-format cameras. The new 10-18 IS is a good alternative super-wide.

Now I use FF cameras, my similar equivalents are 24-105L and 17-40L, but if you use these lenses on a cropper, you are losing out on focal length range and aperture, and paying more for the extra FF format coverage that you can never use.

Thank you every, the help is greatly appreciated! I'm still very undecided, but you've all given me food for thought - From my perspective, I think it's important that I don't rush into a decision I may later regret, so the advice given is worth it's weight in gold

I'd have to agree with the general consensus of either the f2.8 17-55mm or the f3.5-5.6 15-85mm if you can only afford one lens.
I haven't used the 17-40 on a crop, but i did use the 24-105mm when i had my 60D, great lens it is, but it wasn't wide enough for me! (i bought it as i knew i was moving to FF).

As others have said, city shooting you want to be wide, neither lens is that wide on crop.

Why not try the new canon 10-18mm its a decent enough lens for city shooting. I certainly enjoyed it on my 7D.

Back