canon 1000D or 40D

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I have the 1000D & am tempted to sell up & buy a used 40D.
Both have 10.1 mp, obviously the 40D is better biuld quality, not sure if it has sensor cleaning though?

Would the £150 odd i'd have to spend extra be worth it?

What would you do? (i have a separate kitty for lenses & am hoping to buy a (24-105)

the 40d will be more user friendly than the 1000d. the bigger body means room for more dedicated buttons on the top plate along with the top lcd. i've only had my 30d(which has a very similar body/button layout) for a short period of time and already i can change most settings without taking the camera from my face. unsure about sensor cleaning, i know my 30d doesn't have it though.

i originally looked at the 1000d before plumping for a sony a390 because i didn't like the feel of the lower range canons. the magnesium bodied xxd range cameras are in a different class in terms of build quality and feel like they are built to last.

Go for the 40D you will not be dissapointed

spike

Even as a Nikon user I'd say 40D it has a cracking reputation.

Thanks, the 50D looks like a good bet also with the extra mp, hmm

no point in spending more on the 50d, the 40d is a cracking camera, many people use them here and get some cracking results, i wanted one but was out of budget so got a 20d

im looking at purchasing a 40d this month, does anyone have a clue if £350 is a reasonable price for a well looked after/ low shutter count model?

also, why do some have black dials & some silver?

The 40D is a lot heavier than the 1000D. No problem if you're young and fit but if you're not it will weigh you down like a lead albatross. Unless you use a wrist strap instead of a neckstrap, but then you'll end up with one arm a foot longer than the other one. :) But because the size of the camera it has a good grip.

The sensor and graphics processor in the 1000D is a lot newer than those in the 40D which will make a fair difference in noise levels. On the other hand, the 40D can do 6.5 shots per second in burst mode (jpeg only, though).

I would hope £350 is a reasonable price for a well-looked-after one as a few weeks ago I was offered £150 in part exchange for my slightly paint-stripped 40D with about 20,000 clicks.

The 40D is a lot heavier than the 1000D. No problem if you're young and fit but if you're not it will weigh you down like a lead albatross. Unless you use a wrist strap instead of a neckstrap, but then you'll end up with one arm a foot longer than the other one. :) But because the size of the camera it has a good grip.

The sensor and graphics processor in the 1000D is a lot newer than those in the 40D which will make a fair difference in noise levels. On the other hand, the 40D can do 6.5 shots per second in burst mode (jpeg only, though).

I would hope £350 is a reasonable price for a well-looked-after one as a few weeks ago I was offered £150 in part exchange for my slightly paint-stripped 40D with about 20,000 clicks.

1000D is a re-badged 400D, which is "ancient" technology compared to 40D. Weight is not an issue either, otherwise how would you carry your shopping bags or handle a steel frying pan in the kitchen?

im looking at purchasing a 40d this month, does anyone have a clue if £350 is a reasonable price for a well looked after/ low shutter count model?

also, why do some have black dials & some silver?

That sounds good to me. I guess silver means it is heavily used and all the paint had come off?

:D
Well I've just managed to purchase a 40D with under 4k clicks, had to stretch the budget to closer £400 but I'm hoping i'll enjoy my new toy.
1000D is going for auction this week

Well I've just managed to purchase a 40D with under 4k clicks, had to stretch the budget to closer £400 but I'm hoping i'll enjoy my new toy.

What did you get with it and how much did you pay? I have been offered an almost new 40d with about 100 clicks with 18-55 is for £360 I might just go for it looks like a nice deal then.

I would definitely snap that up!
I have payed more without any lenses, just a few extra memory cards & battery thrown in.
I could have waited for a bargain to appear but I saw one I thought looked good & couldn't resist the 'buy it now' button
I was just to eager to get one :D

40D = great, but 40D + kit is probably not as good as 1000D + £150 Sigma used lens.....

Get the 40d. after a while with the 1000d you will convince yourself that the 1000d is holding you back... It probably isnt, but with the 40d you can be sure for a good while that it isnt.

Sam

could a 40D owner tell me what it's like to carry around? does it become very demanding after a few hours? the only thing that is holding me back is the potential weight.

I find it fine, I actually wanted it heavier so got a grip, that with a 17-55 2.8 IS = nice and heavy :)

It IS heavier, but given it's still not that heavy I'd imagine it is fine, problem is that is a VERY subjective thing to talk about, as one persons idea will be different to others.

Well i have just recieved my 40D :) it feels like a much more substantial camera than the 1000D. im sure i could do some serious damage with it!

The memory cards are different to the 1000D (SDHC) i wasnt expecting that, are there different catagories of this 'compact flash' card? can i buy any compact flash & it will work?

Back