Canon 11-18 or 10-22 if price were the same?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I know there are a lot of reviews out there for both lenses but I am interested in whether if price were equal is the 10-22 usm a better option than the usm. Forget the IS and filter size/weight as well, this is purely about image quality and lens reliability.

I've read somewhere that after the launch of the 10-18, Canon has removed the MTF chart for the 10-22 from their website. Most likely means that it's just not as sharp, and they don't want it to ruin their sales.

Sharpness isn't everything, though. The 10-22 is supposedly built much better, and it has a focus distance indicator which the 10-18 is lacking. If you feel like you need either of those two qualities, get the 10-22. But the 10-18 is just unbeatable for its price, so I'd get that any day of the week. It can also focus quite a lot closer.

Here's a nice comparison between the two, and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8:

Well if they were the same price I'd personally still get the 10-22mm just for the extra range. It's not a massive amount but since I doubt there's much difference in sharpness, you might as well if they're the same price.

I'd get the 10-18 based on the reviews I've read and the fact that it is substantially cheaper was 207 at hdew the other week, £219 at present which is more than £ 200 less than the 10 22

Last edited:
I'd get the 10-18 based on the reviews I've read and the fact that it is substantially cheaper was 207 at hdew the other week, £219 at present which is more than £ 200 less than the 10 22

The thread title does state 'If price were the same' :p

The thread title does state 'If price were the same' :p
I know but the fact is it is not the same and by a substantial amount
There seems very little to tempt buyers to buy the more expensive 10 22 IMO
I have owned the tamron the sigma and 2 x canon efs 10-22

Perhaps he can buy the 10-22 second hand for the same price as the 10-18new? Perhaps he's found a new lens that's a 11-18mm? Either way, the 10-22 still works out better if price isn't an issue :D

I did a quick search and found this thread with the same question really - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1296276

One thing I forgot about was the IS on the 10-18 which could certainly be very useful. Also, there's mentions there of people having seen both MTF charts and seeing the 10-18mm resolving better so if that's the case then I guess the 10-18mm would be my choice :)

I have the 10-22mm and it's definitely pretty sharp but I don't tend to use it as often anymore since I got my Sigma 18-35mm. I only use the Canon if I need really really wide which isn't too often.

It does appear the 10-18 is the one to have
I also have the 10-22 but find I use my efs 15-85 the most, vary rare do I need to go any wider than 15 mm.
I was going to buy the 10-18 from hdew when it was 207 but they are 219 now and i couldn't see a pay pal option

Back