Canon 1100D Owners Thread

hi everyone just a genral question about shooting in raw? do many of you do it and how do you get on with it? cant believe how it reduces the amount of memory on the card?
basically think im trying to ask what 'quality' setting is maybe the best for shooting in.

I am using the Canon 1000d but always shot in RAW. My thinking is I can reduce the size/quality of the image afterwards but cannot increase it and the price of memory cards is cheap of why not?

I avoid as I believe it's only worthwhile for editing purposes. Which I am naff at!!!

Matt9581 said:
I avoid as I believe it's only worthwhile for editing purposes. Which I am naff at!!!

Thought for a minute I had replied and forgotten.. I totally agree, I to am 'naff' at editing, therefore saving in RAW would be pointless for me!

i shoot in jpeg aswell because im useless with the camera and even worse at pp 1000 images now and still not got a keeper :bonk:

bleddyn

Traded in some lenses the other day and grabbed myself a Canon EF 100-400 L IS USM.

This is my first shot with the new lens...

Mooncrop by philjose1878, on Flickr

Hello all soon be getting my own 1100d from Santa only have the 18-55mm lens. Im a bit of a new comer its good to see what the camera can do making me want it more and more!

dannywaugh1 said:
Hello all soon be getting my own 1100d from Santa only have the 18-55mm lens. Im a bit of a new comer its good to see what the camera can do making me want it more and more!

Welcome Danny!

18-55mm lens is perfect to get your started, served me very well for months before I started to think about getting a new lens.

Have you used a canon DSLR before? I would recommend having a good read of the manual before father Christmas arrives! The booklet that comes with the camera is very basic but a more detailed copy can be downloaded free of charge on the net with a simple google search.

Do you have a particular area of photography you like?

I have the 1100D and it's great! A lot of people I know that are into photography and what a lot have people have told me is that they which they had the t3 rebel(1100d). The kit lens is good as a starter and should serve you well for a while, I'm just starting to think about a new lens and that's for Christmas. Now I just have to decide between the 50mm 1.8 lens or the 75-300mm lens...

Jon162 said:
I have the 1100D and it's great! A lot of people I know that are into photography and what a lot have people have told me is that they which they had the t3 rebel(1100d). The kit lens is good as a starter and should serve you well for a while, I'm just starting to think about a new lens and that's for Christmas. Now I just have to decide between the 50mm 1.8 lens or the 75-300mm lens...

Give it time and your have both. What photos are you taking and I might be able to recommend one of the other?

It also depends on budget as 75-300 could be 3 times the price!

I now couldn't be without either

Welcome Danny!

18-55mm lens is perfect to get your started, served me very well for months before I started to think about getting a new lens.

Have you used a canon DSLR before? I would recommend having a good read of the manual before father Christmas arrives! The booklet that comes with the camera is very basic but a more detailed copy can be downloaded free of charge on the net with a simple google search.

Do you have a particular area of photography you like?

Iv downloaded a couple manuals from the canon site to read both basic and more detailed. This is my first DSLR camera, I have many things to learn.
I will be using it mostly when I am out and about in the country cycling, wildlife, scenery etc

What I do want to know is the best way to setup the camera best setting do I use jpeg or raw files etc.

Last edited:
dannywaugh1 said:
Iv downloaded a couple manuals from the canon site to read both basic and more detailed. This is my first DSLR camera, I have many things to learn.
I will be using it mostly when I am out and about in the country cycling, wildlife, scenery etc

What I do want to know is the best way to setup the camera best setting do I use jpeg or raw files etc.

How much do you know about photography Danny? With that we can establish whether to begin photography in RAW or JPEG and I also might be able to advice on some things to read.

It also depends on what you want to get from your DSLR. you mention out and about in the countryside; great for photos but are you happy to just get snapping or have you got a DSLR in the hope that you want to learn about composing an image and shooting in manual mode?

Which telephoto lens are people using? I am hinting heavily to the girl, but if she crumbles I will have to tell her the model. Budget £300 ish!!!

Ive got an 1100D! Really enjoying it as it is my 1st grown up camera.Just got my 50mm f1.8 prime todaay.
Im now looking for a flash for it if anyone has a suggestion?Sub £100 if possible.
I mainly take photographs of cars so something that will work well at night and in low lights inside buildings.

Gary

Oh and some of my pics using the kit lens.Be nice im new at this.:)

My car.

7465615120_8e4be4b0fe_c.jpg

Some from a show i went to.
7723733322_8f0b2e26a8_c.jpg

7723651508_d92886b64d_c.jpg

7723636104_3954057cb4_c.jpg

My sisters boat.
7155492019_cf8c0e52df_c.jpg

Cottam power station
7340702688_57098e5743_c.jpg

Last edited:
Was out taking some shots the other day, wanting to get some little birds so heres a few samples of the photos!

Few of the little robbin on a tree..
close-Copy.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

A few randoms ( i dont know the name)
IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

Last edited:
Swan with near mirrored reflection
IMG_1165.jpg

Some slow shutter action on the water
IMG_1239.jpg

Capturing a few little rats flying around
IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

Last edited:
Well Iv finally got my 1100d from santa. I'm leaning how to use the different functions but arnt sure what to shott with jpeg or raw files at the moment. Has anyone got any tips on setup?

dannywaugh1 said:
Well Iv finally got my 1100d from santa. I'm leaning how to use the different functions but arnt sure what to shott with jpeg or raw files at the moment. Has anyone got any tips on setup?

What do you mean by setup?

I've found David busch 's book fantastic for setup info. I have it in pdf format if you would like it emailing :)

I've found David busch 's book fantastic for setup info. I have it in pdf format if you would like it emailing :)

That will be brilliant if you don't mind. Iv been out today taken a few photos I will post a few up soon. My first camera in a long time and 1st DLSR camera.

I am looking at a 1100D kit, with 18-55mm and 75-300mm. Used.

How much is this setup worth to fork out for about? Any ideas ? As its coming up at an auction tomorrow... with starting bid @ 150£ trying to figure out how far to go if i have challengers.

Seems to me (after lookin at ebay) that around 250£ mark?

E: Did not go well, price went to 300£+. So will not be joining 1100D family. :(

Last edited:
Hi All

Seen some great images on here.

I got my 1100D for christmas, a very welcome present and glad to find a forum dedicated to the camera.

I am a newbie to photography but I have been using 3DS Max & photoshop for about 5-6 years now so am intending to do some heavy Post Production once my photography skills are better.

Just need lots of money for lots of lenses now.

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_19491.jpg

IMG_12671.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_07111.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg

Im running a Canon Speedlite 430EZ it doesnt work in full auto as its fairly old but it has buttons and things and looks posh......just not a clue how to use it yet ha ha
http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/EOS-1n/Flash/Canon_430EZ/430EZ_megamoltA.jpg

Ha ha, that would be me!! Her dad just got one off flea bay for 50 quid, want one myself

Hi there are there any 1100d users in essex area?

I Live in Gt Dunmow.

Hi how ya doing. How long have you been doing photography? Do you belong to any clubs. Be nice to talk to some local people that are 'not up there with the big boys'

Back