Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone tried canon's latest wide-angle offering? If so, what are your thoughts, is it sharp in the corners? Does it live up to the hype?

i'm actually really interested in this lens

tempted to swap my 16-35 for it

I love love love my 16-35, but shooting at f2.8 always makes me feel like I should have stopped down a little further for deeper depth of field- although when you need 2.8 and a high shutter speed nothing else will do!

I was really thinking of getting a monopod so I can get slower shutter speeds to blur motion (people walking etc) but a monopod might be a pain in the ass compared to a lens with built in IS

really wish it was a 2.8 IS though, then i'd buy it in a heartbeat, at any price- seems canon are committed to the f4 IS lenses

advantage of monopod is that I can use it with all my lenses- including telephoto

and can use it for video work

advantage of monopod is that I can use it with all my lenses- including telephoto

and can use it for video work

If you only use monopod in landscape orientation or shoot with long teles, then you can have a monopod that is suitable for video (they don't have flip head as no video is done in portrait!). Do not even think about the cheap photo monopod for recording motion. I would also like to see someone spend a day walking everywhere with monopod, taking camera on and off and still getting a bit blurry shots. Only in sports they are very handy.

If you only use monopod in landscape orientation or shoot with long teles, then you can have a monopod that is suitable for video (they don't have flip head as no video is done in portrait!). Do not even think about the cheap photo monopod for recording motion. I would also like to see someone spend a day walking everywhere with monopod, taking camera on and off and still getting a bit blurry shots. Only in sports they are very handy.

I only shoot in landscape to be honest, it's just my style, and if i'm shooting portrait it's usually for a specific purpose for layout in a magazine etc (i.e. a person giving a speech) and I do those with the 70-200 and that has a lens foot so can shoot in either orientation

I was going to get the manfrotto monopod with the foldout feet and the fluid pan at the base, or the neotec monopod which has a button to adjust the height super easily (just push up or pull down)- but all monopods seem extremely bulky, my tripod (feissol 3441t) is 1.1kg and is less than 50cm when folded up, by comparison monopods seem huge!
it would actually be more compact to take the tripod and just extend one leg when I want to use it!

the only reason I want the monopod is that sometimes I like to do a long exposure (like 0.5 seconds) to blur motion while shooting certain assessments, and obviously don't want to set up a tripod so monopod is the next best thing, or try out the 16-35 IS, I have the tamron 24-70 VC and I love shooting that but it's just not wide enough sometimes for the shots I want to make with a long exposure

with that in mind I wouldn't really mind putting on the monopod/tripod for these specific shots, as they're going to be infrequent but...

if I sold the 16-35 2.8 and got the f4 IS, I could also add a samyang 14mm 2.8, and I already have a 35 1.4 so can still work in low light if needed- and i've got the 24-70 at 2.8 so should be covered well for extremely low light work

my other option is to get the fuji 10-24 OIS, and that way I get to keep using my 2.8 16-35 but I still have the option to pull out the fuji when I want to make that long exposure shot- a lot of money for that one shot but it'l pay for itself pretty quickly and i'd probably use the fuji for travel...

I've got one already - seems very sharp. IS is a tiny bit louder than i'd have liked, but not noticeable unless you're in a near silent environment. Really sharp wide open, even in the corners. Able to handhold shots relatively easily at 1/4 of a second. Can even do 1/2 a second but you have to be far more careful.

I've got one already - seems very sharp. IS is a tiny bit louder than i'd have liked, but not noticeable unless you're in a near silent environment. Really sharp wide open, even in the corners. Able to handhold shots relatively easily at 1/4 of a second. Can even do 1/2 a second but you have to be far more careful.

Looks like I need to review my account balance tonight :)

Well that's me sold, from what I've seen looks like I'll be adding one of these to be kit soon enough.

the UK price is a bit bonkers at the moment
UK prices are always bonkers for newly-released gear. The price will drop. It will bottom out below £900 but not below £800.

Just waiting for it to drop really. It's a lens I want a lot, and could use really (still clinging on to my Tamron 10-24 on FF), but I just can't spend the money when I know it will drop £200 or so in the next few months, and there could be cash back coming too.

So tempting to order it grey considering the saving but I need to be able to claim it back and put it against the business.

Sub £600 is a crazy price for this lens.

I really wish Canon would produce something like the Nikon 14-24, I want the 2.8 speed but the 16-35 isn't particularly great. I'm thinking maybe a 24mm prime and the Samyang 15mm for the UW bits I do.

Lens came yesterday, so went up on curbar edge last night to try it out, both of these at 16mm on a 5D3.

bfc72e.jpg

c6b30e.jpg

Both at 16mm on a 5D3

25e9e4.jpg

840277.jpg

11b5b0.jpg

dfbb49.jpg

21fa34.jpg

Last edited:
So tempting to order it grey considering the saving but I need to be able to claim it back and put it against the business.

Sub £600 is a crazy price for this lens.

I think HDEW still give you VAT receipts. £799 last time I looked.

its ok, i like it, be better when lightroom has a profile for it, i got rid of my 17-40 , so i didn't have much to pay to get this

Surprised how well this lens is holding it's value! Got some projects where this lens would be ideal so may have to end up paying retail.

HDEW; they supply VAT receipts on demand; I wouldn't feed overpriced "UK spec" (nonsense!) ripoff.

HDEW; they supply VAT receipts on demand; I wouldn't feed overpriced "UK spec" (nonsense!) ripoff.

Wow, it is a tempting price and seems that Canon UK give you a warranty as they're UK based. Will hold out and see if Autumn cash back comes for it as it usually bridges the gap. I don't need it right now but soon for sure.

Back