Canon 17-85mm IS Question

Yes. Vignetting, distortion and CA. See review here. But don't worry about it too much.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_17-85_4-5p6_is_usm_c16/

That review also has a trick little demo of what Canon's DPP software does to sort it all out.

I used to own one - nice lens, good range, light. I sold it before I discovered the latest version of DPP which now does the clever stuff. You have it free with your 50D (as I'm sure you know ;) ).

I see my 50D has the something called Peripheral Illumin and it say Correction Enabled next to it and look as if knows what lens is on maybe the camera corrects it?

Sorry, yes, I forgot about that. I'm pretty sure that Peripheral Illumination correction (eg vignetting) is the same programme as in DPP - it knows what lens you've got, focal length, f/number etc and applies the appropriate correction in camera. Sorted (y)

Stand by for the 60D, which will surely do all the other clever correction stuff in camera too. Only with Canon lenses though - maybe a problem coming for Sigma etc?

Thas OK then I seen teh fall off in teh view finder but when looking at them in Bridge it did not look the same Learnig the new 50D all the time next how to get most out of the 580EXII
Like to work out best why of uesing as fill in on Bright sunny days

Stand by for the 60D, which will surely do all the other clever correction stuff in camera too. Only with Canon lenses though - maybe a problem coming for Sigma etc?

On the other hand it might be a problem for canon. If they are going to stop third party lenses then maybe Nikon is a better option.

converging verticals was always my bug bear when I had that lens
bigben.jpg

Yes. Vignetting, distortion and CA. See review here. But don't worry about it too much.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_17-85_4-5p6_is_usm_c16/

That review also has a trick little demo of what Canon's DPP software does to sort it all out.

I used to own one - nice lens, good range, light. I sold it before I discovered the latest version of DPP which now does the clever stuff. You have it free with your 50D (as I'm sure you know ;) ).

I nearly bought one of these. Unfortunately (for people like me, anyway) the Canon 350D doesn't write the lens model information into the EXIF data (so DPP won't fx the distortion), which means that you have to either manually edit the EXIF information or buy Ptlens.

Irrelevant as far as you lucky buggers with your fancy cameras are concerned though.

You can always use "Free Transform" in Photoshop, don't know if it's in Elements, to correct for converging verticals.

Back