Canon 1d mk4 ... Overdue?

Name
Sir
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to step up my game, photography wise.

I've heard lots of rumours and hearsay about the upcomming mk4 and may just bite the bullet and get one when it comes out.

Does anyone have any ideas on what speck it might have and when it will be launched?

According to the rumours there will be an announcement this month.

No specks at all I hope, certainly not on the sensor anyway :LOL:

Honestly, not a clue what the specs might be but until there's an official release about it I'd keep a big pinch of salt to hand ;)

plenty of rumours on Northlight Images and Canon Rumours.

I've heard a date of 18th august mentioned and another date in September. One may be for 60D which is due as the 40D has been discontinued. The 50D will fall into the 40D place and the 60D take its place.

Was a rumour posted last night
Apparently announcement is likely this month, release is September, with reduced numbers through October.
Sounded like a good camera. Supposedly new processor, digic 5, and I think it was 45 AF points. New battery type possibly.
Personally I am hoping for a quick release on the 60d, as I want long reach, and have an EF-S lens

Lots of rumours on POTN with a huge range of specs.

With the recent announcement by Canon about the new IS system we can be sure there is new glass on the way. The funny ones so far are two of the lenes will be

EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM
and
EF 24-105mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Now call me stupid but if they both came out who would want the 24-70

Lots of rumours on POTN with a huge range of specs.

With the recent announcement by Canon about the new IS system we can be sure there is new glass on the way. The funny ones so far are two of the lenes will be

EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM
and
EF 24-105mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Now call me stupid but if they both came out who would want the 24-70

No one...... The main reason i like 24-70 over the 24-105 is the 2.8....

interesting!

anyone have a clue to as what will be improved on the 1d4? surely not more fps!! lol :)

drew

Looks like the rumours suggest it may be a bit quicker but also higher resolution. It'll be enough for me to consider one. In fact, I've just sold my 1DII to clear the decks for when the 1DIV comes out...

Now I'd be really interested in the 24-105 @f2.8!!!

That's my idea of heaven :)

Rumours are yes, 1.3 crop.

I still wouldn't get my hopes up about a launch before next spring. It looks like the rumours are hotting up but it is quicker than the "normal" 3 year cycle for pro kit. The only thing I can see bringing that forward is the winter Olympics as Nikon seem to be getting quite a hold in the sports world.

Also rumours of MkII versions of the big primes

I will have to sell both my mark3s to buy the new mk4 and struggle with one camera until I can get a second mk4 ... madness.. hope they dont release a mark 4 or its no holidays next year ...

I'm surprised Canon are even bothering with a new pro crop sensor model. Isn't full-frame more-or-less de rigeur for pros now?

for sports? no....

Canon have 2 bodies coming out 50d replacement and 1d mk 3 replacement.
Expect 50d replacement first with really improved autofocus stocks of this body in Japan are supposedly low and cannon are planing a big unveilling at a trade show shortly. This was in AP magazine they did'nt state it was for new cameras but timing would be about right. Stocks of mk3 seem higher this is why i think 50d replacement will be first. Trouble is so many rumours are flying round it's difficult to know which specs will be correct
Regards
Lost

Canon have booked a press release for wed August 19th so something is in the wings
Regards
Lost

Canon have booked a press release/conference for wed August 19th so something is in the wings
Regards
Lost

Here's hoping that a 1dmk4 is to be released soon then, nothing wrong with my mk3 but would like a little higher mp count.

I think I'll be investing in the MKIV whatever it may be...the MKII is beginning to feel a bit old hat now :(

I think I'll be investing in the MKIV whatever it may be...the MKII is beginning to feel a bit old hat now :(

Hope you've got lots of wonga then...
Personally, I'd settle for a 1DIII (that focusses properly, preferably.)
:shrug:

I'm with Phil on this one. I don't think the 1DIII is enough of a step up on the II to warrant the cost of changing (for me, for what I shoot) but I think skipping a generation may make sense.

I've just sold my 1DII to clear the way for the IV. The question is, will it have the resolution to also make me sell the 1DsII?

Hope you've got lots of wonga then...
Personally, I'd settle for a 1DIII (that focusses properly, preferably.)
:shrug:

I should have mentioned, the 1D III is a possible update...if the IV turns out to be a bit of III :p Not likely though (I hope!)

I got the II when the III came out...so was buying into a generation old already. I'd rather spend more on a IV which will last me 4-5 years, than a III which might only last me 18 - 24 months, like the II has so far! It'll then hopefully last me until the VI comes out!

I quite like the mark2 ;)

Me too. The only real benefit in the MkIII is the better high ISO performance. Bigger screen, higher FPS, more MP are fine but don't really make all that much difference in real world shooting.

I doubt that I'll seriously look at a MkIV but a 24-105 F2.8, now that IS worth looking at :)

I'm taking a pure guess here but spec should include GPS, Bluetooth and Wi Fi all built in.

Me too. The only real benefit in the MkIII is the better high ISO performance. Bigger screen, higher FPS, more MP are fine but don't really make all that much difference in real world shooting.

In my real world of shooting all those make an absoloute mass of difference.. especially the high iso

I should have said the high ISO has been the biggest benefit "for me" :)

I rarely take more than two shots in succession, hardly ever print bigger than A3 and don't see much difference between 8 and 10 FPS (are those the right specs :p )

The thing which is difficult to put a value on is the quality of jpeg right out of the camera on the MkIII. The MkII is nice but the III seems slightly more natural for some reason. Don't know if you found that?

the jpegs on the mkII are complete and utter garbage to be honest... I've played with the settings for days and havent really found anything that quite hit the mark for me

Also the controls are better.. that controller thing is brilliant.. theres lots of little things as well as the big things... for me now after all this use its a massive difference.. go back to a mkII for a week and you miss the mkIII thats for sure :)

both have the same problem that I have to take 2 of everyhting as for no apparent reason one will be OOF . not every time.. but i darnt risk that one time...

roll on the mk4 :)

The 1DMK2 and the 20D both have the same pixel count and both output the same full sized file. Again- the 1DMK3 and the 40D have the same pixel count and output the same file size.

The 50D was a bit of a surprise launch between models, but I suppose you have to expect the 1DMK4 to have more pixels and possibly follow the trend in matching the 50D. Whether they'll be able to do that and maintain 10 FPS might be a tall order, but I'd certainly expect a substantial increase in pixel count. Other than that video has to be on the cards surely - it seems to be a trend now?

Other than that video has to be on the cards surely - it seems to be a trend now?

I ahvent even tried live view on the mkIII and i certainly wouldnt want video.. what next.. a camera that can make a phone call.. that would be ironic :)

Back