canon 1dx a bit quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. You should consider watermarking your images though Ivan.

I'll keep that in mind for my next lot :LOL:
I see you even had time to put up some party balloons Ivan :clap:

My daughter's 18th last sunday (she refuses to take the balloons down) Teenagers uh?... :wacky:

I'd watermark your knees as well, Ivan....seriously though, BIF was a problem for me with the 1Dx I tried, strangely enough (and I know this doesn't make any sense) my 1Ds 3 gave me more in focus shots....????:shrug:

Need more play with another 1Dx and a 5D3 before deciding, however I'm amazed that the 1DX sensor has that much lower noise than the 5D3 according to the post above....4 Mpix make that difference?

George.

At the tennis today, seen at least 20 1dx bodys, every canon shooter is using them. Lots of d4 and d800s too :)

Jelous...

Frankie Jim told me that all the 1Dx bodies we've been seeing to try are at Wimb and I believe there are only 20 or so in the country, be very interesting to know how many of those have been paid for, I reckon Ivan has one of the first retail ones in the UK..well done!!

1DX_600II_2.jpg

Nice coffee table - can't see anything else in that photo to get excited about :wave::wave:

Ok Guys.
Here you have straight out of camera small JPG.

High ISO noise removal, auto light optimization and other image enhancing stuff is off.. Image set to neutral with + 3 sharpening on camera. Files put through Photoshop to remove metadata (as already stated) and saved to web in original quality. No other processing was done on the files.

ISO 100 to 51200 can be downloaded

Please note this is a 40MB zip file and I will remove it tonight at 18:00 sharp to protect my Bandwith.
Once you have them feel free to upload them and share them (give me credit).
Enjoy. :)
All images taken with the Big 600 :D

Last edited:
On it's way down as I type - gracias.

Done. That is insane. I bet the 25600 would print just fine as long as you weren't going too big.

Wow Ivan what a nice table full of goodies. (y)

First thing I noticed was what a big box the 600 comes in. :D

The 1Dx and 600mm would be a killer combo for aviation. I can only dream though......:bonk:

Now a few 1Dx are coming out I hope we can get some proper real world comparison with the Nikon D4. With the D4 having by all accounts such poor video quality a 1Dx could be a possibility for me.

Andy, You'll be happy with a 1DX... I know I am :D

As I think you already know I was set on getting a D4 but the real kick in the teeth with it is that everyone says how poor the video is. To fund either a 1Dx or D4 I will be selling one of my professional video cameras so the DSLR I get will need to have good video.

Three things are making me slightly reluctant to get a 1Dx though.

Firstly the FF is a blessing for most of what I shoot but for aviation and sports might mean a 70-200 would be too short and I can't afford any long primes. The 1DmkIV I had was about right with a 70-200 and the converter I sold to you (I think it was you).

Secondly I could get a 1DmkIV and a 5DIII for the same price. That way I would have a good travel camera and a good aviation/sports camera. However by all accounts the 1Dx blitzes both in all respects.

Thirdly (and this could be the big one) the long wait to get one. If I get the job to go to India (as mentioned in my other thread) then a long wait would be very risky in case I didn't actually get one in time. Sadly when I had all my other Canon gear I was a Gold level CPS member which might have helped getting one a bit faster but now I am only on their video camera list.

As I think you already know I was set on getting a D4 but the real kick in the teeth with it is that everyone says how poor the video is. To fund either a 1Dx or D4 I will be selling one of my professional video cameras so the DSLR I get will need to have good video.

Three things are making me slightly reluctant to get a 1Dx though.

Firstly the FF is a blessing for most of what I shoot but for aviation and sports might mean a 70-200 would be too short and I can't afford any long primes. The 1DmkIV I had was about right with a 70-200 and the converter I sold to you (I think it was you).

Secondly I could get a 1DmkIV and a 5DIII for the same price. That way I would have a good travel camera and a good aviation/sports camera. However by all accounts the 1Dx blitzes both in all respects.

Thirdly (and this could be the big one) the long wait to get one. If I get the job to go to India (as mentioned in my other thread) then a long wait would be very risky in case I didn't actually get one in time. Sadly when I had all my other Canon gear I was a Gold level CPS member which might have helped getting one a bit faster but now I am only on their video camera list.

Bummer!!!.
Seems you really are in a bit of a pickle.
Yes it was me you sold the converter to.

I do love the 1DX. Like I said, I had a pre-production for 10 days and fell in love with it.

I have never bought a camera on Pre-order, always waiting to see what prices will do and, of course, the all important grace period for the inevitable teething problems to be ironed out.

If you need video it may be worth for you too look in to the 1DC (budget allowing).

I am really at a lost as to what advise to give you. I guess the only one who knows what will suit you is ... well, you. ;)

still, 1D4 & 5D3 will be a formidable combo (y)

Sadly the 1Dc is way above my budget (I think it's going to be around £10,000 body only) but it does look like a very nice stills/video package.

There are so many pluses and minuses that I just can't work out what to purchase. 1Dx, D4, or the combos of DS3 and D800, 1DmkIV and 5DmkIII are all options that have pluses and minuses.
7DmkII if it happens might also be interesting but again I would run in to the timescale issue. I'm going to have a meeting with the NGO people in mid July but I can't say yes I will do it without having, or at least have on order some equipment. The project is sometime in January or February 2013.

I wish there was something like the Focus show at this time of year so I could go and try both side by side.

Sadly the 1Dc is way above my budget (I think it's going to be around £10,000 body only) but it does look like a very nice stills/video package.

There are so many pluses and minuses that I just can't work out what to purchase. 1Dx, D4, or the combos of DS3 and D800, 1DmkIV and 5DmkIII are all options that have pluses and minuses.
7DmkII if it happens might also be interesting but again I would run in to the timescale issue. I'm going to have a meeting with the NGO people in mid July but I can't say yes I will do it without having, or at least have on order some equipment. The project is sometime in January or February 2013.

I wish there was something like the Focus show at this time of year so I could go and try both side by side.

Man, I will hate to be in your shoes right now.
All I can say is hurry, or time will defo run out!
Anything you have mention is going to do a stellar job on the stills side of things.
If only you could keep your video cameras :(

Which is what I did. But I can feel the lust coming all over me..:nuts:

I'd watermark your knees as well, Ivan....seriously though, BIF was a problem for me with the 1Dx I tried, strangely enough (and I know this doesn't make any sense) my 1Ds 3 gave me more in focus shots....????:shrug:

Need more play with another 1Dx and a 5D3 before deciding, however I'm amazed that the 1DX sensor has that much lower noise than the 5D3 according to the post above....4 Mpix make that difference?

George.
Hi George.
As with previous 1D bodies (from MKIII onwards) AF setting are, to put it mildly, "complex".

The 1Dx is down right difficult and, serious experimentation is required to achieve maximum performance in AI servo.

Below a link to a very good 1Dx review (I just don't have the time, inclination or talent to do reviews and leave that to people who has.)

Clicky.

Now, I don't own the 5DMKIII but, I have used one briefly. The 1Ds MKIII I had for 3 years and I still have one 1DMKIV body.
I have read this review and concur with Martin's findings 100% (y)
PS His Common Kingfisher 5 shot gift animation is nothing short of spectacular!

Last edited:
Hi George.
As with previous 1D bodies (from MKIII onwards) AF setting are, to put it mildly, "complex".

The 1Dx is down right difficult and, serious experimentation is required to achieve maximum performance in AI servo.

Below a link to a very good 1Dx review (I just don't have the time, inclination or talent to do reviews and leave that to people who has.)

Clicky.

Now, I don't own the 5DMKIII but, I have used one briefly. The 1Ds MKIII I had for 3 years and I still have one 1DMKIV body.
I have read this review and concur with Martin's findings 100% (y)
PS His Common Kingfisher 5 shot gift animation is nothing short of spectacular!

I should not have looked at that link :bang:

Slightly off topic, but of interest I suspect to readers of this thread, I was at Centre court yesterday at a well known tennis tournament and although I was too far away to see what bodies the Canon togs were using, there was one guy who didn't look Japanese poss Korean but not European (I say this not from any racist comments obviously, just to point out that I don't think he was from Canon UK) who was sporting a 200-400 with built in converter, so perhaps they will start to filter through soon, although I suspect they'll be out of range for most from what I see of the projected price....perhaps Ivan will give us a report when he buys both of his...:LOL::LOL:

I briefly tried one at Canon Islington last Nov, and it really is a pretty heavy beast, but IQ looked excellent both with and without converter.

George.

Where is Ivan hiding?

We need more shotssssss ;)

Seems stock is becoming more available.

Still no eta on mine annoyingly.
Yes, looks like there's more around now, my order status changed to "in preparation" a couple of days back but no demand for payment yet.

Bob

See I've had close to 3k taken off my card which is why I'm being impatient.
Things generally seem to work a little differently here. Unless it's a "non-standard" item (ie, custom made) then deposits aren't usually taken until the supplier has to pay somebody. I was asked for 10% about two weeks ago and will only pay the remainder at the time of despatch to me.

I didn't mean to imply that nothing has been paid yet....sorry if that's how it read

Bob

my order status changed to "in preparation" a couple of days back.

Ah it's on the production line in Japan then :puke:

I hope you get by Monday...

Ah it's on the production line in Japan then :puke:

I hope you get by Monday...
The dealer wouldn't have paid at that stage Robin so neither would I have been expected to. I find it amazing that dealers have been holding deposits since its announcement and many months ahead of production.

Set up a business, take 200 x 10% deposits, hold them for six months and then return them and cancel the orders.....easy money if morals aren't your thing.

Bob

I was asked for a mere £10 to hold my pre-order in place. Still not right though.
Robin.
I am not hiding, just busy getting to know the new tool.
Re photos.
Due to recent events, I am currently reassessing my forum image sharing policies. Unfortunately, and while I take stock of my options, there will be no image sharing on my part.
Regards
Ivan

Due to recent events, I am currently reassessing my forum image sharing policies. Unfortunately, and while I take stock of my options, there will be no image sharing on my part.
Regards
Ivan

I was only pulling your leg Ivan. I say get out, learn and enjoy the damn thing - you waited long enough :D

Stuff the 1DX, I want to see images taken with the Q, 600mm and stacked 1.4/2x converters. :)

The MKIII 1.4x and 2x won't stack (thanx Canon!!!... Not!!!).
As for sharing my images, see previous post. ;)

The MKIII 1.4x and 2x won't stack (thanx Canon!!!... Not!!!).
As for sharing my images, see previous post. ;)

The mkIII 1.4 and the mkII x2 will stack though :)

Sorry to hear you are no longer sharing Ivan.

The moon shot you posted on potn was stunning, both myself and my girlfriend loved seeing it.

Thank you Ryan. Is nice to know that some people enjoy viewing my images. Sadly, for others, it seems viewing is not enough.
Hence, no more image sharing from me. Still, I am considering my options and time will tell whether this is a permanent situation or not.

The mkIII 1.4 and the mkII x2 will stack though :)

Yeah I know, the 2X MKII and 2x MKII will also stack. I am regretting selling both of mine (1.4 and 2x MKII's).

I was robbed while on a job in May in Germany. Scrote took one of my 1D IVs and the 300mm IS that was hanging off it.
So I have had to replace my old 300 with a new one (not a bad thing bar the price) thats coming tomorrow but now I can't source is turning towards the 1DX. I am a CPS member (plat) and have never managed to speak to Frankie. However someone came back to me today offering me the use of 1DX next weekend for a job I have.

So my question is: Will I miss the crop factors of my IV? (I still have another if I really need it)
and
Will I be able to source one so late through my CPS status?

Oh and lastly: Anyone want to give me 5k? ;)

Camera is coming tomorrow. Frankie broke the bad news on availability to me today. Unlikely to secure one till after the olympics now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back