canon 1dx a bit quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet is stonkingly good.

I hope so, then maybe there will be a few more lightly used MKIV's on the market.

I'll bet is stonkingly good.

I hope so, then maybe there will be a few more lightly used MKIV's on the market.

There's one going cheap in Accrington, very lightly used, one careful lady owner :D

:DLightly used - yeah right. Probably worn out the shutter twice.

Lady owner - should that be slim lady owner who does Zumba in his lounge? :D

There's one going cheap in Accrington, very lightly used, one careful lady owner :D

dawson_les.jpg

Credit: Born Today http://www.born-today.com/Today/02-02.htm

(well tomorrow actually!!)

And that's in a good mood :p

You should see what 'she' looks like when 'she's' mad....

oi!!!

well i am just back (well back and a brew) from doing primary schools athletics indoors.. iso 6400 and 320 shutter at 2.8 ..i wanted faster shutter but didnt want to go higher iso...so i did the job and all the time thinking... would be doing so much better with a 1dx

deposit going in tommorow... :)

Well I damn well hope you're one of the first to get one Tony.

Then the pressure will be on you to give a good honest assessment of it. I suspect that it will take a little while to understand and get used to the new focus options.

We may even get you writing a blog :D

Oh yes we'll also be expecting you to be first out of blocks producing a stupid unboxing video for Youtube. i.e. unboxing whilst holding a camcorder in one hand. Said camcorder must then move up and down whilst going in and out of focus....:bang:

hate the whole concept of blogs.. and wiht two mkIVs here i still havent a clue about video :(

but i will be doing proper examples and assesment ya got that right :)... not heres a flowerpot in my kitchen at silly iso... i will make sure lens to body is calibrated with a few tests then take it out same night on a job and give it a proper test in proper working conditions.. cant wait :)

Yes I figured you weren't the blogging type (though I do enjoy reading Tobers' blogs).

Looking forward to you thoughts.

I was going to send you some batteries to photograph as well.......

I was going to send you some batteries to photograph as well.......

oh god i hate setup tests.. heres some flowers in my garden at tea time iso 6400 arnt they amazing...

i would prefer to go out and do a free job the same night i get it so i can test without worry. so anything local non league footy or indoor summat will get a proper good test :)

Ok how about this.

Picture the scene:-

A few candles going in the lounge as the only light source.

Music blaring.

Me Julie doing a Zumba session.

How many frames can you get off in focus at ISO 51200 before she wallops you and the camera ;)

Need a buyer for one of my mkIVs now.. my guy has had to drop out.. he had the same big customer as me who dropped all freelancers on jan 1st...

Will you be putting it in the For Sale section in due course?

Does the Mk IV have a shutter count accessible to the user?

Edit:- just looked it up. Need Canon to tell you the shutter count.

Last edited:
dont know yet as its not for sale yet.. would be nice to have a buyer ready when i am ready

only canon can give a shutter count... i may send to canon nearer time.. get it serviced and a shutter count or even a new shutter.. but price would go up.. at 300 thousand clicks i would personally buy one anyways.. will see what buyer thinks..

price will be highly competative as there will be marks.. its well looked aftre as a camera but is a working camera so gets put down on concrete and stuff a lot.. price will reflect cosmetics.. chance of saving a couple of hundred quid on everyone esle for sure

Why are anyone taking deposit when WEX aren't, and you can still register with CPS to get priority

You can only get your order prioritised if you have placed an order with a deposit, at a Canon Professional dealer and given the Canon CPS rep the pre-order reference number.

well after lots of hooing and haaing and little panick attacks ( i rang once and put phone down when it started ringing) ...I have finally put the deposit on a 1dx and now awaiitng a letter of conformation which i will photo and email to frankie jim to get on the special list....phew....

1dmkIV coming up for sale soon.. 2k

I have finally put the deposit on a 1dx
:clap::clap:

Well sod the diet - have a glass of vino to celebrate tonight. ;)
Then another one when it arrives NEXT month.

Full res images released HERE
ISO 1600 looks super clean
Base on that, I went back to Calumet this morning and renewed my deposit...
Edit...
(In case is not obvious.. I am being sarcastic)....

Last edited:
Full res images released HERE
ISO 1600 looks super clean
Base on that, I went back to Calumet this morning and renewed my deposit...
Edit...
(In case is not obvious.. I am being sarcastic)....

I just posted this on the D800 thread - similarly framed portraits from 1Dx and D800. Both amazingly good and pretty similar, D800 certainly isn't twice as good...

Warning - big files!

D800
http://chsv.nikon-image.com/products/camera/slr/digital/d800/img/sample01/img_06_l.jpg

Canon 1Dx
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos1dx/downloads/001.jpg

HoppyUK said:
I just posted this on the D800 thread - similarly framed portraits from 1Dx and D800. Both amazingly good and pretty similar, D800 certainly isn't twice as good...

Warning - big files!

D800
http://chsv.nikon-image.com/products/camera/slr/digital/d800/img/sample01/img_06_l.jpg

Canon 1Dx
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos1dx/downloads/001.jpg

Youre the first person I've heard describe the 1dx images as good, personally I thought to promote your new flagship £5k body they are average at best.

There not much better than i can do with the mkIV using the same lens.. my 135mm is perfect and i can take iso 1600 as clear as that (obviously not.. but to the normal eye they look as good) ... bit rubish releasing these.. surely its iso 6400+ and upwards we want to see,

Don't forget they are JPEGs. Look up previous camera samples (like 5DII) from that site and all will become clear.

all i shoot in is jpg ... sorry not quite following what you mean?

I'm with Tony on this one. Lets see 6400 and up images.

Youre the first person I've heard describe the 1dx images as good, personally I thought to promote your new flagship £5k body they are average at best.

There not much better than i can do with the mkIV using the same lens.. my 135mm is perfect and i can take iso 1600 as clear as that (obviously not.. but to the normal eye they look as good) ... bit rubish releasing these.. surely its iso 6400+ and upwards we want to see,

You lot are very hard to please ;) I'm very suspicious of these kind of images, but I have to say I was impressed. But I guess I was posing a question really.

They're good, that's for sure I think, but the question is, how do they compare? So in the absence of direct side by side shots, I thought it was interesting to see how Canon's 18mp compared to Nikon's new 36mp that everyone is raving about.

As far as I can see, the answer is not half/twice as good. Just another example of it being about more than just megapixels.

They're good, that's for sure I think, but the question is, how do they compare?

to what?

for me and I would say a good few others the comparison would be between what we have and what we are upgrading to.. cant see many top end nikon usrs thinking about crossing over..

I need to compare 1dmkIV to this.. no other comparison matters a jot to be fair..

The only reason I am upgrading is for the better iso in low light situations.. I dont need iso 1600 in a decent lit room..I need iso 12800 in a poorly lit sports hall :)

I hope iso 12,800 works for you Tony on the 1dx.

to what?

for me and I would say a good few others the comparison would be between what we have and what we are upgrading to.. cant see many top end nikon usrs thinking about crossing over..

I need to compare 1dmkIV to this.. no other comparison matters a jot to be fair..

The only reason I am upgrading is for the better iso in low light situations.. I dont need iso 1600 in a decent lit room..I need iso 12800 in a poorly lit sports hall :)

Oh yes, I agree. But since we don't have that comparison yet...

And also, even though I think we can be reasonably sure the new camera will be better, if it was my money, exactly how much better. I'd want to do my own tests, and on AF tracking too. But we've been there I think :)

You lot are very hard to please ;) I'm very suspicious of these kind of images, but I have to say I was impressed. But I guess I was posing a question really.

They're good, that's for sure I think, but the question is, how do they compare? So in the absence of direct side by side shots, I thought it was interesting to see how Canon's 18mp compared to Nikon's new 36mp that everyone is raving about.

As far as I can see, the answer is not half/twice as good. Just another example of it being about more than just megapixels.

Ah, but even if megapixels were the only determinant of IQ, the D800 could only be 44% better. :p

finally.. got an email 2 mins ago.. am now on the priority list so should get one of the first ones :)

all we need to know now is....when! :)

Ooh let's guess the date.

I reckon Monday 2nd April.

Interesting choice of focus points on these sample images

I am uninspired... middle of feb and due for release in march.. one of the major selling points for this camera is the iso yet the only examples are up to iso 1600 ... no actual release date :(

Come on canon .... make an effort :(

Just got the canon CPS newsletter and someone (prob quite biased) who used a pre production model had this to say about the iso

From my testing, and looking at the images I produced, I think that [ISO] 25,600 is about the same in terms of noise performance as the EOS-1D Mark IV is when shooting around 4,000 to 5,000 ISO. As such, I’d be totally happy to shoot at ISO 25,600 on the EOS-1D X without having to worry about it. Even if I had to go higher, I wouldn’t see it is a major problem because the files really are that good.”

WOW!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back