Canon 1DX v Canon 5D iii v Canon 7Dii

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I am trying to improve my keeper rates for BIF and similar shots. I currently use a Canon 5D iii and a Canon 7Dii and it has been suggested that a 1Dx would be better. Others suggest the difference is minimal.

Any real life experience?

1dx has the best AF of the three and the best high ISO.

Are you getting close to filling the frame or already doing significant crops on the 7d2? That might make a difference.

Oh, and is there any way you could afford the R6? That would be the best AF and best IQ of the 3 as long as you don't do huge crops.

Mike

The 1DX and 5Dmk3 essentially share the same AF system (and I believe the 7D2 is largely similar too), so in those terms there's little between them. The 1DX is much, much quicker in terms of frames per second though which may help. What lens are you using? That's likely to have a more significant impact on your hit rate than the differences between the cameras you mention.

The 1DX and 5Dmk3 essentially share the same AF system (and I believe the 7D2 is largely similar too), so in those terms there's little between them. The 1DX is much, much quicker in terms of frames per second though which may help. What lens are you using? That's likely to have a more significant impact on your hit rate than the differences between the cameras you mention.

I believe it was said very openly back in the day that 1DX had some extra tweaks. They are similar and based on the same design but not identical. And of course the fps and buffer is not even comparable.
One thing to bear in mind that you really need to master the gazillion different AF settings and scenarios in the menu. I could never really nail those fast head on targets but to be honest I never had a real professional need to either...

I believe it was said very openly back in the day that 1DX had some extra tweaks.

Yep indeed, hence me saying "essentially the same" rather than identical, but in the grand scheme of things probably nothing that's going to be too significant a factor in terms of nailing birds in flight. I'd still say the lens will have a more significant impact than the differences in AF between those two cameras.

I'd think that the addition of a Digic 5+ processor (the 1Dx has two of them) dedicated entirely to the AF system could be reasonably called 'a significant factor'.

I've had a 1DX for 3 years now, my keeper rate shot up to over 70% immediately!
Such a great camera, had many Canon DSLR's before like 5D3, 7D, 1DIV/III but nothing comes close to it!
I'll mention another thing...battery life! one charge on an LPE4N must be equal to about 5 charges of an LPE6N! and they just go on forever!

I have bought one in good condition but with a shutter count of 82k which is higher than I would like but the price was very good and it should go on for years.

I will test it at the weekend and decide if it is worth keeping. The AF set up is very similar to the 7Dii and the 5Diii, whether it is better time will tell.

1dx has the best AF of the three and the best high ISO.

Are you getting close to filling the frame or already doing significant crops on the 7d2? That might make a difference.

Oh, and is there any way you could afford the R6? That would be the best AF and best IQ of the 3 as long as you don't do huge crops.

Mike
Digic 5+ processor

This is the main issue . The 7Dii has the best reach and with the latest noise reduction software is very good. But for BIF the 1DX is probably better ie higher keeper rate.

Congrats on the new camera! It's far far better than the AF on the other bodies, and whilst not up to the standards of the latest mirrorless beasts you should notice a significant improvement in AF once you get it set up properly and give it a fair trial.

The files are a huge improvement of the 7d2, and as such that will negate a lot of the 'crop factor' as you can crop further into a high quality sharp file that you will get from the 1dx if you get it right.

Have fun!

Mike

Congrats on the new camera! It's far far better than the AF on the other bodies, and whilst not up to the standards of the latest mirrorless beasts you should notice a significant improvement in AF once you get it set up properly and give it a fair trial.

The files are a huge improvement of the 7d2, and as such that will negate a lot of the 'crop factor' as you can crop further into a high quality sharp file that you will get from the 1dx if you get it right.

Have fun!

Mike

I appreciate those words of encouragement.

I have bought one in good condition but with a shutter count of 82k which is higher than I would like but the price was very good and it should go on for years.

I will test it at the weekend and decide if it is worth keeping. The AF set up is very similar to the 7Dii and the 5Diii, whether it is better time will tell.

Congrats mate, any dramas or tips needed feel free to drop me a message :)

I've had a 1DX for 3 years now, my keeper rate shot up to over 70% immediately!
Such a great camera, had many Canon DSLR's before like 5D3, 7D, 1DIV/III but nothing comes close to it!
I'll mention another thing...battery life! one charge on an LPE4N must be equal to about 5 charges of an LPE6N! and they just go on forever!
Couldn’t agree more, battery life is superb 1755 shots of half a charge says it all really

A4AA8CCD-D9CD-456B-AA77-38C992F1F9AA.jpeg

Any tips for AF settings for BIF? There is lots of advice on the internet but as usual it is conflicting.

It does depend on the shooting situation. In most cases I’m using continuous AF, tracking using all points and back button focus. Important is to get the initial focus point on the eye or head, it’s frustrating when you track a wing tip by accident and the eyes are soft.

Back