Canon 20d

Name
Michalene
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been given a Canon 20d from someone who upgraded. The problem I am having is that I cannot download the pictures from the camera to my computer as I'm running windows 7. I bought a card reader to take the CF card but unfortunately it wont work on my computer. Does anyone have a card reader that does run on Windows 7 that they could tell me the name of that might save some more mistakes - or should I just give this up as a lost cause and not bother with the camera? ty :)

I don't think they had computers when the 20D came out:D

Hi Brash - it says it will run on windows XP - it has a disc and everything with it.

Google is your friend..

You don't need the cardreader. Use the USB cable to directly connect the camera to the PC, but before you do:
What you need to do is turn off your camera..turn it back on..hit the
MENU button. go to the COMMUNICATIONS and change it to PTP ... plug it
into your camera into computer and it should work perfect.
(From Link 1)

The cardreader you bought may just need a driver update or another simpe thing done to enable it to operate. You'll need to tell us make and model if you want tips on how to get the cardreader working.

Google is your friend..

You don't need the cardreader. Use the USB cable to directly connect the camera to the PC, but before you do:

(From Link 1)

The cardreader you bought may just need a driver update or another simpe thing done to enable it to operate. You'll need to tell us make and model if you want tips on how to get the cardreader working.

Thanks Alastair - will try that when I get home. It was just a universal CF reader from Amazon I bought. Says it's all working when I click on the device on the computer but just not letting me browse the files on the card.

If you can get in touch with the person who gave you the camera , ask to borrow their canon software disk and install all the bits on there . You can then just download from camera .

Just doing some more Googling, are you trying to use Zoombrowser to access the card via the cardreader? - this is a very common problem being reported on the net. The solution seems to be to completely uninstall Zoombrowser and to just use Windows Explorer to copy the files across to the PC.

(some more research indicates the PTP solution may only work for JPGs and not raw files - so persevering with the cardreader may be advantageous. Do you have Lightroom installed? - it my autoimport via the cardreader)

I seem to remember when I started using my 20D that I had to download the codecs to view the files. But don't ask how you go about doing that. Been a while and I've slept since then. :D

Just doing some more Googling, are you trying to use Zoombrowser to access the card via the cardreader? - this is a very common problem being reported on the net. The solution seems to be to completely uninstall Zoombrowser and to just use Windows Explorer to copy the files across to the PC.

(some more research indicates the PTP solution may only work for JPGs and not raw files - so persevering with the cardreader may be advantageous. Do you have Lightroom installed? - it my autoimport via the cardreader)

No was just using windows explorer. Use JPGs - (no lightroom ...... yet!) Will try what you said above - I'm not going to stress too much as I've got a fuji that I like - but thought this camera may be worth using as it didn't cost me anything! (well aside from frustration! ;))

If you can get in touch with the person who gave you the camera , ask to borrow their canon software disk and install all the bits on there . You can then just download from camera .

Hi John - I got a disk with it - but i'm running an operating system on the computer that it doesn't support.

Hmm strange , I run all canon programs on win7. Have you tried updating to the latest versions ? You need to have them already installed , but you should be able to update them . Just have a look on canon website under updates .

Hi John - I do have some canon programs on my computer as I have a Canon GX1 - however I had a look at the canon website http://www.canon.co.uk/Images/Win_EOS_Full_v2_tcm14-1166609.pdf see how it says not supported for windows 7? But at the top it says that non supported camera images can be imported via a card reader. Hence was going down that route as it seemed most straightforward.

I never had any issues with my 20D or 5D via a card reader but these days I connect my Panasonic and Sony cameras via USB. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll solve it and the 20D will be worth the effort as it'll give excellent image quality at low to mid ISO and even the higher ISO settings can be used with care.

Hi John - I do have some canon programs on my computer as I have a Canon GX1 - however I had a look at the canon website http://www.canon.co.uk/Images/Win_EOS_Full_v2_tcm14-1166609.pdf see how it says not supported for windows 7? But at the top it says that non supported camera images can be imported via a card reader. Hence was going down that route as it seemed most straightforward.
Sorry only had experience with 30d and 40d so didn't realise that . Have you got another card that you could try in the reader , from another camera would be even better . That way you can establish if it the file format that's the problem or a faulty reader . Also try give xp compatibility mode a go .
As already said don't give up , it would be a shame to ditch a still reasonable camera .

Google is your friend..

(From Link 1)

A million thank yous Alastair :ty: I followed your directions and it is working! Just amazing - thanks so much :)

Have been taking a few shots with this camera and the pictures are so sharp. Next on list is another lens as I only have the standard one that came with it. Much as I love my Fuji I think I'll be going back to canon for my next camera.

it sounds like the card reader might be faulty you should be able to read / transfer any file from the CF card via the reader regardless of the operating system being windows 7 / 8 or VISTA / XP for that matter

try your card reader on another pc or a different usb port if it still wont read the CF card properly send it back to amazon as faulty

i have a 20d ( well my daughter does ) and have no problem reading and editing the images ( RAW or JPG ) from the card through an old belkin usb 2 CF card reader or the usb 3 reader i have
this is on a windows 7 pc and it's the same on a windows 8 laptop

canons latest DPP software ( apart from the latest beta ) works fine with Raw files from the 20d

link to software if you don't have the the original bundled cd installed

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0200362702.html

Last edited:
it sounds like the card reader might be faulty you should be able to read / transfer any file from the CF card via the reader regardless of the operating system being windows 7 / 8 or VISTA / XP for that matter

try your card reader on another pc or a different usb port if it still wont read the CF card properly send it back to amazon as faulty

i have a 20d ( well my daughter does ) and have no problem reading and editing the images ( RAW or JPG ) from the card through an old belkin usb 2 CF card reader or the usb 3 reader i have
this is on a windows 7 pc and it's the same on a windows 8 laptop

canons latest DPP software ( apart from the latest beta ) works fine with Raw files from the 20d

link to software if you don't have the the original bundled cd installed

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0200362702.html

thanks Mark - I got it working ok by using doing what Alastair suggested - so all good now. :)

Back