Canon 2x Extender II views & anyone got one near Northants?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm toying with buying a 2x Extender, but keep reading conflicting reviews.

I'd be using it with my 70-200 2.8 IS, or perhaps potentially buying the 200 f2.8 prime in future (and trading down the f4 IS zoom at the same time) for an occassional 400mm blast!

I can't decide from the web images I've seen whether I'd be happy with it.

1) Anyone used one regularly with a 70-200 and have opinions either good or bad?

2) Has any kind person near Northampton got one I could try out please?

Many thanks

Phil

I've got both, and until recently getting my 300 2.8 used it regularly.

Focus was useable on my 1D MKII, and the results were generally good once stopped down to f6.3. The one thing that lets it down is that cropping isn't really dooable, detail isn't great.

Overall... entirely useable but far from perfect!

Hi all,

I'm toying with buying a 2x Extender, but keep reading conflicting reviews.

I'd be using it with my 70-200 2.8 IS, or perhaps potentially buying the 200 f2.8 prime in future (and trading down the f4 IS zoom at the same time) for an occassional 400mm blast!

I can't decide from the web images I've seen whether I'd be happy with it.

1) Anyone used one regularly with a 70-200 and have opinions either good or bad?

2) Has any kind person near Northampton got one I could try out please?

Many thanks

Phil

I'm near to Northampton but unfortunately got rid of mine as it gave poor results with my 70-200 F2.8 is. I replaced it with the 1.4 and its a hell of an improvement.

Image quality drops a far bit with the 70-200mm F2.8 in my opinion.

Scott

It is a superb bit of kit, but to get the best results with it you need to use the big fast glass

I'm near to Northampton but unfortunately got rid of mine as it gave poor results with my 70-200 F2.8 is. I replaced it with the 1.4 and its a hell of an improvement.

Image quality drops a far bit with the 70-200mm F2.8 in my opinion.

Scott

Hmm - suspected as much - maybe I should only consider it with primes.

Phil

I've got both, and until recently getting my 300 2.8 used it regularly.

Focus was useable on my 1D MKII, and the results were generally good once stopped down to f6.3. The one thing that lets it down is that cropping isn't really dooable, detail isn't great.

Overall... entirely useable but far from perfect!

I have seen great shots with it used with the 300 f2.8 - seems like a perfect partner. I think if I had the 300 2.8 it would be a no-brainer, but with the 70-200 I'm unsure. On fredmiranda there's loads of people giving it good reviews saying how great it is with the 70-200 2.8 IS.

Phil

It is a superb bit of kit, but to get the best results with it you need to use the big fast glass

Any experience of it with the 200 2.8 prime?

I never had much success with it on my 70-200 2.8 IS, detail wasn't to my liking, but my friend gets excellent results with his on a 500 f4.

I have seen great shots with it used with the 300 f2.8 - seems like a perfect partner. I think if I had the 300 2.8 it would be a no-brainer, but with the 70-200 I'm unsure. On fredmiranda there's loads of people giving it good reviews saying how great it is with the 70-200 2.8 IS.

Phil

JU7F8553.jpg

Here is a sample image from me... this one has been cropped, by about 20%. I've had it printed at 15x10 and proudly sits on my dads wall, the quality is spot on too... sharp, plenty of details...

Like the 100-400 (which is effectively what it becomes) it needs a lot of light, and if given this, it will give great results! It took me a while to get used to both these set ups but at the end, I could get the same images from both without any noticeable difference.. unless you wanted to pixel peep of course! But it's about what comes out of the printer and I got good results usually.

JU7F8553.jpg

Here is a sample image from me... this one has been cropped, by about 20%. I've had it printed at 15x10 and proudly sits on my dads wall, the quality is spot on too... sharp, plenty of details...

Like the 100-400 (which is effectively what it becomes) it needs a lot of light, and if given this, it will give great results! It took me a while to get used to both these set ups but at the end, I could get the same images from both without any noticeable difference.. unless you wanted to pixel peep of course! But it's about what comes out of the printer and I got good results usually.

I find that 70-200 2.8 is plus 2x extender
is a good compromise but above around 350mm
can and does get a little soft
no experience of the 1.4 but its supposed to be a much better bet
on the 70-200
A couple of "long" examples

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x195/photo-web/Stand.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x195/photo-web/FRAC_BASE.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x195/photo-web/BK2.jpg

Those are really good images - it's good to know that given good light it can perform - I need to try one before I buy I think to convince me!

Phil

Back