Canon 2x MKiii Teleconverter Observations.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Being as the 600f4 was out of reach for me, even a decent Mk1 version, I took the much cheaper option last week of the Canon 2x MKiii TC. Whilst it brought many compromises I was prepared for them and accepted them. I had quite a few questions in my head about this TC, mainly compatibility and loss of auto focus on my current lenses.

I've done a small trial today, just out of curiosity but if anybody is in the position I was in a week or so ago and are thinking of this TC, here are my findings so far, regarding auto focus and image stabilisation.

Some may find this useful.

7Dmk1, crop sensor

100-400L (mk1) - no AF, IS works, effective focal length, 320 - 1280mm.

300 f4L IS - no AF, IS works, EFL - 960mm

70-200 f4L - no AF, IS n/a, non IS lens. I was suprised at this as this lens has worked fully previously with a Sigma 1.4xTC. :thinking:, EFL - 224 - 640mm.

Sigma 150-600 C, - no AF, IS works, EFL - 480 - 1920mm.

5D4, full frame.

100-400L (mk1), - no AF, IS works, EFL - 200-800mm

300 f4L IS, - AF works, IS works, EFL - 600mm

70-200 f4L , - AF works, IS n/a, EFL - 140-400mm.

Sigma 150-600, - no AF, IS works, EFL - 300-1200mm

Basically, almost all my lenses, apart from 2 on the 5D4 lose AF. It.s not a major problem as I will be prefocusing with these lenses in my current scenarios.

I will update further as and when I use the differing combinations, mainly with a 7Dmk1 and a 5Dmk4.

Last edited:
It might not suit your shooting style but be aware that the contrast detect AF in Liveview should work with the 2xIII and all your stated lenses.

IQ may not be what you expect with most of these lenses. 2x TCs as far as I have noticed only really work will with f2.8 Tele primes.

Teleconverters are really only designed for use with fast f2.8 or f4 lenses. With Nikon older cameras would only work in the lens and teleconverter combo was f5.6 max. On newer cameras that change to f8 max.

Initially teleconverters, especially the 2x teleconverter, sounds magically but like everything there can be huge compromises regarding AF performance and IQ.

It might not suit your shooting style but be aware that the contrast detect AF in Liveview should work with the 2xIII and all your stated lenses.

I have started using liveview a lot more than I used to Bob as I like to see the histogram. I've yet to try AF with the TC in liveview but hopefully, there will be some decent light tomorrow and I can get to the hide. :)

IQ may not be what you expect with most of these lenses. 2x TCs as far as I have noticed only really work will with f2.8 Tele primes.

I lost some IQ with the Sigma TC but not that notceable, you could see it if you looked closely but genrally speaking, it was OK. I'm yet to give the 2x a good run out but that will hopefully change in the next day or two. (y)

I do see a s/h 300 f2.8 in my future. ;)

Teleconverters are really only designed for use with fast f2.8 or f4 lenses. With Nikon older cameras would only work in the lens and teleconverter combo was f5.6 max. On newer cameras that change to f8 max.

Initially teleconverters, especially the 2x teleconverter, sounds magically but like everything there can be huge compromises regarding AF performance and IQ.

I think my main lens with this TC is going to be the 300 F4 but maybe in the near future, the 300 2.8 might become viable.

.... In my experience with a Canon EF 500mm F/4L II on various bodies, the 2x III (and also 1.4x III) work very well indeed. Please view my album on Flickr which demonstrates my opinion :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157685377629534

But you must mount a version III extender, not version II, on a mk II lens in order to fully exploit what it has to offer.

I also have a 500mm + 1.4x album :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157687683325302

I think my main lens with this TC is going to be the 300 F4 but maybe in the near future, the 300 2.8 might become viable.

I have the 300 f2.8 and can say the 2xiii converter when calibrated to the body works a treat, af maybe slightly slower but sill fast enough for bird in flight and racing cars, but it is almost as sharp.

I have the 300 f2.8 and can say the 2xiii converter when calibrated to the body works a treat, af maybe slightly slower but sill fast enough for bird in flight and racing cars, but it is almost as sharp.

Cheers.(y) I have noticed AF is a little slower and some focus points have been lost as well with my F4. I am happy with the compromise though, it works well and is sharp too, maybe not quite as sharp as the bare lens but still very acceptable. I can't wait to get to my kingfisher now, hopefully in the next few days. :snaphappy:

I need a 2.8 though to make the best of it, maybe even the 400, we'll see. :)

Cheers.(y) I have noticed AF is a little slower and some focus points have been lost as well with my F4. I am happy with the compromise though, it works well and is sharp too, maybe not quite as sharp as the bare lens but still very acceptable. I can't wait to get to my kingfisher now, hopefully in the next few days. :snaphappy:

yep you need something longer and faster to get good use of it. Otherwise I think you'd be better off with something like the new sigma 60-600mm as discussed earlier.

.... In my experience with a Canon EF 500mm F/4L II on various bodies, the 2x III (and also 1.4x III) work very well indeed. Please view my album on Flickr which demonstrates my opinion :

But you must mount a version III extender, not version II, on a mk II lens in order to fully exploit what it has to offer.

Robin, as always you know I enjoy seeing your pictures and its not the first time I have seen them either :)

I do agree with your comment but OP does not have this lens. If he can afford one it will certainly give him excellent results.

the 400 do f4 is still good with the 2xtc but the slower af is more noticeable compared to 300 f2.8.

Would love a 400 f2.8 but can't justify there price tag.

I don't loose af points on the 1dx mk2.

Robin, as always you know I enjoy seeing your pictures and its not the first time I have seen them either :)

I do agree with your comment but OP does not have this lens. If he can afford one it will certainly give him excellent results.

.... Understood (and thankyou for your encouraging praise). I only have experience of the EF 500mm F/4L II and so thought it best I qualify my direct experience. As I understand it, the version III Extenders will perform to their equally high standard on all the Canon EF 'Supertelephoto'* II lenses - *This is Canon's term not mine.

I missed yor post Robin, my bad.

Some interesting results. My TC is the mk3.

That's crazy but has to be said, some good results. (y)

if that wasn't enough to blow your mind....

the thread from 2017 so its old news. can get even crazier with new bodies like A9. You can stack two 2x TCs and get 1600mm @f11 reach with AF :D
you can shoot 3/4th portraits of that kingfisher :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Would love a 400 f2.8 but can't justify there price tag.

The Mk1 400 can be had for about £3k, s/h of course. If I can consolidate my gear and save a bit more, it my be in reach about mid year next year, if nothing else crops up. To be honest though, the 300 2.8 is probably more sensible, the difference in price is quite significant just for an extra 100mm (or 200 with the TC).

if that wasn't enough to blow your mind....

the thread from 2017 so its old news. can get even crazier with new bodies like A9. You can stack two 2x TCs and get 1600mm @f11 reach with AF :D
you can shoot 3/4th portraits of that kingfisher :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

.... Okeydonkey! If we are playing mine is longer than yours, the forthcoming Olympus 150-400mm+1.25x(built-in option) Pro lens next summer is also designed to have their 2x additionally mounted and hence give a maximum reach of 2000mm (full-frame equivalent). And it's supposed to be able to be handheld, although I think I would want to mount it on a tripod if only to more easily find and lock onto target!

To be honest though, the 300 2.8 is probably more sensible, the difference in price is quite significant just for an extra 100mm (or 200 with the TC).

.... Such things are like a geometric progression as they are in fast car performance - It costs much more to design and build a car which can do 0-60 in 3.5s than one in 5s. But going back to lenses you have to factor in a more complex arrangement of internal glass components and mechanisms to achieve wider apertures - It involves more than just reach.

As with high performance cars, being 'sensible' has got nothing to do with it :D.

.... Okeydonkey! If we are playing mine is longer than yours, the forthcoming Olympus 150-400mm+1.25x(built-in option) Pro lens next summer is also designed to have their 2x additionally mounted and hence give a maximum reach of 2000mm (full-frame equivalent). And it's supposed to be able to be handheld, although I think I would want to mount it on a tripod if only to more easily find and lock onto target!

haha! its not mine. mine is only average lol

but that'll be f11 aperture on a m43 sensor in UK. You will able to use it only 3 days in the year :D

also the above combination is 1600mm optical reach, you can put a similar setup on m43 too get 3200mm equivalent cropped reach.

but that'll be f11 aperture on a m43 sensor in UK. You will able to use it only 3 days in the year :D

.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: UK weather, eh? BUT, I am very pleased with the image quality I got on a shot of a Grey Squirrel literally a few minutes before sunrise (official time) which was @840mm equivalent handheld at 1/60s, F/5.6, ISO 2500 on m4/3 Olympus E-M1X. It's on Flickr.

I'm betting the new lens will be F/8 at worst on its max reach combo. Without any reach increases this lens widest aperture is F/4.5 (Olympus have released that information).

The m4/3 tends to have deeper DoF, hence not so much milky smooth bokeh as the big wide D-SLR supertelephoto lenses. It's swings vs roundabouts and having shot with both I am not disliking the Olympus flagship system. I am not claiming it's better either - It simply depends which suits your personal needs and preferences best overall.

Yes me too I use the 1.4 and 2 converters mk3 with my MK 2 300 2.8
I took the lens and converters together with my 7d2 to canon for calibration and now get amazing results I struggle to see any difference between the bare lens and the 1.4 and the 2.0 gives very sharp results

Back