Canon 35mm Options

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I am off to New Zealand to get married in a couple of weeks and I am considering upgrading my 40mm F2.8 pancake as a wedding present to myself. I have a 6D and will keep the 40mm as it's great when I go out walking and can't be bothered to carry a bag as I can put the 6D and 40mm in my jacket pocket.

I have been looking into lens options and I can't decide between the Canon 35mm F2 IS, the Canon 35mm F1.4, or the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Sigma but I would like to know what peoples real life experiences are with these lenses are.

Depends if size and weight are any sort of issue? Both the 1.4's are pretty chunky if you don't mind that get the sigma the canon can't justify the extra cost!

The f2 is is an interesting lens it's small light and very sharp but the price point is awkward unless you want a compact lens or do alot of video it doesn't make much sense.

I've had the Canon 35 f2 IS for a few weeks now and love it!
I chose it as all the reviews I read said it was;
Lighter/ more compact than the canon/sigma 35 1.4's
Focuses faster and more accurately than the sigma.
Is much cheaper.
Not as sharp as the sigma, but still very sharp ( I agree 100%)
Has the advantage over the others of IS.
A great lens

I have a Sigma 35mm and I cannot praise it highly enough. Probably one of the sharpest lenses I have ever owned.

Thanks for all the input... still not sure on which one. I might have to go down to a camera shop and have a play.

Have you used the canon L? And is your opinion based on price being a factor too?

I wouldn't discount the Canon 35mm f/2 mk1. Used for about £150 and one of my favourite lenses on the 6d.

Very, very sharp. And light. It doesn't have IS but TBH I've never found myself needing it.

I wouldn't discount the Canon 35mm f/2 mk1. Used for about £150 and one of my favourite lenses on the 6d.

Very, very sharp. And light. It doesn't have IS but TBH I've never found myself needing it.
It is all of those things - a great little lens, as long as you don't mind the whining AF motor.

I have used the 35mm f2 mk1, it was sharp but I never got on with the out of focus areas.

Price doesn't sound like an issue for you, in which case if you are simply asking about the best/prettiest/most impressive options, then the Sigma f1.4 Art has had the highest regard, followed of course by the Canon f1.4. There is also the 24mm f1.4 L which also has many lovers if you intend to go even wider.

Sigma is a great lens but I sold mine within months of ownership, judging by the for sale section I'm not the only one to move this lens on after such a short period of time, so bag yourself a bargain or go for a Canon.

Sigma is a great lens but I sold mine within months of ownership, judging by the for sale section I'm not the only one to move this lens on after such a short period of time, so bag yourself a bargain or go for a Canon.
Why, what was wrong with the Sigma? From what I've seen, it has the edge in performance over the Canon, and is far better value.

I'm still happy with my mk1 f/2 though! It's such a nice little lens I simply couldn't justify buying either of the f/1.4 lenses.

Last edited:
Why, what was wrong with the Sigma? From what I've seen, it has the edge in performance over the Canon, and is far better value.

I'm still happy with my mk1 f/2 though! It's such a nice little lens I simply couldn't justify buying either of the f/1.4 lenses.

TBH I can't quite put my finger on it and give a valid reason, it's well made, razor sharp and a lot cheaper than the Canon equivalent. Just didn't use mine enough preferring the 16-35 f4 which I know is a different lens altogether. Maybe others can answer this question as to why if it's such an awesome lens it's not a keeper.

Maybe others can answer this question as to why if it's such an awesome lens it's not a keeper.
I can sort of answer this. I love my 35mm, sharp as sharp gets, bokeh, perfect focus (usb dock tweaked) but... 35mm is not a focal length i actually use very often so a lot of the time it gets left behind. I'm hanging on to it as my copy is perfect (touches wood) but if i needed to sacrifice a lens from my bag for quick cash or put towards something else the 35mm would probably go first vs other lens due to lack of use. When it does get used though it's sublime if somewhat chunky :)

Back