Canon 400D lenses

Name
Sasha Kwan
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive just got a Canon 400D and the standard 18-55 kit lens. I need to get the following: one wide angle10-20 preferably, telephoto 70-300 and also a macro lens. Very tight on budget. Can anyone give me advice on what I can get for as cheap as possible and I would buy them new. Would image quality differ very much to get very cheap lens?Thanks for your help :bonk:

With regards to image quality - buy a cheap lens and you will get cheap results.

The most important part of your kit should be your lens, so ideally you want to spend as much as possible on it.

As far as wide angles go, you could get a Canon 10-22mm (around £300) or Sigma 10-20mm (around £200)

For telephoto, you could get a Canon 75-300. It's seriously cheap (only about £120) but beware - the quality of this lens isn't great. Pretty poor build quality too, but then again, if your on a seriously tight budget then it's an option for you. The Canon 70-300 is better quality, but odviously more expensive (around £300).

If you have like £300 to spend on a telephoto then a Canon 70-200 f/4 L is a good one, about £350 and it's L seris, so a professional grade lens. Getting one myself soon :D

I think for budget stuff you'd be looking at

Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 70-300mm APO
Tamron 90mm Macro

You looking at probably 500-600 quids worth of glass.

Yep you need more than the kit lens for sure!

wideangle I went for the canon 10-22 which is fabulous lens but must admit a bit more pricey than the sigma 10-20 that a lot of people on here rave about.

telephoto I went for the sigma 70-300. which has had lots of use and gotten me good results for the prices it can't be beat.

Macro: not really got into this area and can't see me doing so in the neare future so I've not even investigated them.

The above choices give you a gap between the kit 55 and the sigma 70 so I filled in the gap by getting the canon 28-105 (after my coffers had recovered from the other purchases ;) )

imo the #1 purchase on you list has to be the telephoto as you can't always get close enough to get that shot (wildlife etc). the links I've included are to a hong kong based company but a lot of people on here have purchased from them with no problems. the only downside of them being is the warrenty of some products

I have the Sigma 70-300, APO version. Ideal to get started and really cheap, it is a bit soft at the long end, but for the money can't complain. It also does 1:2 macro aswell, great for flowers/plants :)

Cheapest i would consider if i were you is:
DC 10-20mm Sigma f/4-5.6 £300
EF 28-105mm Canon f/3.5-4.5 Make sure its the 3.5 version!! £180
EF 100-300 Canon f/4.5-5.6 £260

Still a significant cost in total, so make good initial use of your kit lens (despite reports, this is a very able lens!!!!!) and decide which end of the scale you want to explore more most - the wideangle or the telephoto (y)

I've got the 28-105 f/3.5 version, its really well built. I tried a 75-300 in a shop, and have to say its a pretty poorly built lens. The opinions of the results are varied to both extremes.

Also add to your list the 50mm f/1.8, its about £50

i just got the sigma 70-300 and its a nice lens, i got the tameron 55-200 which is good also

Thanks very much guys. This has got to be the best forum in the world.hehe Im off out looking at your suggestions today. That sigma 70-300mm is within my reach at the moment Unless you would all like to join me to rob a bank lolx

You won't be dissapointed with the Sigma, i've got one and for the money it is superb. Make sure you buy the APO version though.

Unless you really need a macro right now, rather than splash cash on lenses, pick up some extension tubes. These go between lens and body and allow you to focus much closer than you could otherwise.

Sigma 10-20 - good wideangle
Sigma 70-300 APO - good budget reach - get the APO version rather than the DG Macro if possible.
Canon 50mm f1.8 - good prime lens.

Make sure you check Kerso (Ian Kerr, TP member username Kerso, see thread in Suppliers, Shopping and Bargains) for prices before you buy, especially if you are buying lenses, he usually has the best deals and is very reliable.

PMing him is probably the best bet. Happy spending :)

Thanks everyone for ur advice.How much is the APO one whatever that is :LOL:

The macro extension tubs,will any do and do they fit behind any lens eg my 18-55mm kit lens?:help:

what is apo by the way?

APO lenses. These lenses use apochromatic design and Special Low Dispersion glass (SLD) for minimum colour aberration and ultimate telephoto image quality, improving contrast and sharpness.

Apochromatic (APO) telephoto lenses greatly minimise colour aberration, a phenomenon created by different wave lengths of light refracting at different angles. This causes each colour to have a slightly different imaging point, resulting in poor image quality.

APO Zoom Macros offer up to 1:2 magnification in the telephoto range with instant shifting from normal to macro shooting. APO Tele-Macros offer 1:3 image size close focus, long thought to be impossible for a telephoto lens - and are no larger than a fixed focal lens of the same class.

Wow thanks for your in depth reply,learn sumthin new everyday.I take it they are good lens then,will get it:D

i recently bought a sigma 10-20 after much praise from a thread i started and i have to say its very good. bought it from camera wharehouse, who where very good on price and it came the day after i ordered it.

Back