Canon 40D, 50D or 1D MKII?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm sure I have seen a similar thread on here before, but I can not get the search on here to work properly, so appoloiges for starting a similar thread again. I'm looking at upgrading my 450D, and would like to know which one of the above cameras you'd recommend from you own experience.

Ok Richard they are all different in their own ways. Can you let us know what you like to shoot subject wise and also what you want to do with the pics you do take?

That will help a lot :)

Hello Ali, I mainly shoot wildlife, birds and have recently started shooting macro and occasionaly use the camera for people. I shoot in RAW and process the images in lightroom, normally i would only print out up to A4, but the possiblity to go to poster size is useful.

THink you might be better off upgrading the glass first. What lens do you use now?

I've already got some nice glass, Canon 70-200 f4 and Sigma 180 f3.5 Macro. I will eventually get the 17-55 f2.8 or the 24-70 f2.8 dependant on which body I get. I just find the images come out a little soft quite a bit, as the AF on the 450D is a little on the slow side.

I went from a 450d to a 2nd hand 40D wanted a 50d. But after playing with a 1dmk2 at the weekend very tempted.

Hello Ali, I mainly shoot wildlife, birds and have recently started shooting macro and occasionaly use the camera for people. I shoot in RAW and process the images in lightroom, normally i would only print out up to A4, but the possiblity to go to poster size is useful.

Sounds like the 50d is right up your street with the extra pixels for greater crop potential.

If you want to photograph wildlife then I would go for a 40D or 50D otherwise you will need another lens as well! I have the 40D and I'm very happy with it.

If you're photographing wildlife & birds (especially in flight) go for a 1Dmk2. It is in a different class to the 40D & 50D. There are loads about at the moment for £700-£900. This camera was over £3000 when first launched. Most of the pics on my website were taken with a MK2.

www.leeodwyerphoto.com

if the subjects are fairly static the 50D is quite well favoured with crop factor and MP in it's favour, it they are fast moving the extra autofocus facilities on the 1D series has to be experienced to be believed. :)

actually I'll add to that, the 40D AF is actually pretty damn good though

(gives you a flavour of how good the 1-Series AF is :D )

I have a 40D love it to bits, but its time for a change, cant decide if I should go for the 1Dmk2 or a s/hand 5D :thinking:
But from the comments on here maybe its gonna be the 1Dmk2 as I do such varied photo`s, airshow, still life, action, etc

is there a particular budget you are working to richard? there is a big price differential between the 40D/50D and a 1D mk3 - which would go a long way towards better glass?

is there a particular budget you are working to richard? there is a big price differential between the 40D/50D and a 1D mk3 - which would go a long way towards better glass?
Hes talking 40d-50d or 1dmk2 not mk3.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm just not sure about the 1Dmk2, the pixel density is the same as a 6.5MP on a x1.6 crop sensor. Will you really get better images on it than with the 50D? What size photo could you reasonably expect to print from it?

Thanks for all the advice, I'm just not sure about the 1Dmk2, the pixel density is the same as a 6.5MP on a x1.6 crop sensor. Will you really get better images on it than with the 50D? What size photo could you reasonably expect to print from it?
I have printed A3 no problem.

Back