Canon 40D discontinued.

Edit My Images
Yes
I popped in to Jessops in Weymouth to look at a Canon 40D but they had no stock!
So I thought I would check with warehouse express & they only show 2 kit options & no body only option, anyway I rang WHE who said its been discontinued, with no replacement.

Does anyone know if its being replaced?

Regards Spence

Probably nothing for the time being.
I'd be surprised of they launched another model this year.
I expect that maybe Canon have seen a slowdown in sales with the 40D since they released the 50D.
Obviously I could be wrong.

um the 50D..

Then wouldn't they have withdrawn it as soon as the 50D came out??
Spence

Probably nothing for the time being.
I'd be surprised of they launched another model this year.
I expect that maybe Canon have seen a slowdown in sales with the 40D since they released the 50D.
Obviously I could be wrong.

Thanks hashcake, I just dont want to spend the extra for a 50D?, & then see Canon release another model.:bang:

Spence

Canon always maintained that the 50D was not a direct replacement for the 40D and that the 2 models would continue to be sold side by side.
Looks like they are running down stocks and who knows, perhaps there will be a new model in the near future.

When is the 60D due to be released? Or is it still unofficial.

I expect it to be some time this month, any time now in fact. At the latest October at the Pro Photo Solutions show in London. If you are thinking of buying a camera, hold on for a week or two unless you need it now.

normal models are replaced roughly every 18months. the 40D has been out since aug 07 with the 50D being out since aug 08.

When I upgraded to a 50D at WHE, only last week, I couldn't get a 40D because they are being phased out - no longer being made. Thats all I know.

doubt there will be much more MP's as APS-C sensor is pretty totalled out already with 15Mp

60D will probably be the same as 50D just with HD video imo and cost about £1500 body RRP (considering the 50D is £1370 RRP )

drew

doubt there will be much more MP's as APS-C sensor is pretty totalled out already with 15Mp

60D will probably be the same as 50D just with HD video imo and cost about £1500 body RRP (considering the 50D is £1370 RRP )

drew

You can get a 50D for much, much less than that though, around the £800 mark. I would expect in the next few months a price cut on the 50D, down to around £550-£600 (i.e, the 40D level), and a new 60D, with, as has been said, HD video and better high ISO noise performance

I think the rumour is that the announcement will be on August the 25th. This is why I am holding off getting the 50d. I am thinking that I need the camera for October.

if the rumours are true, the 60D is inheriting the 1Dmk3 AF system, with an all new system coming in the 1Dmk4

Darn, one of the rumour sites just said that the 1dMk IV is being released September. This probably means the 60d isn't I guess.

Darn, one of the rumour sites just said that the 1dMk IV is being released September. This probably means the 60d isn't I guess.

Canon aren't reduced to developing a single camera at any one time. I presume they'll stagger the release... announce the 'lower' model first (i.e. like last year with the 50D) then go all out and release the info high end model (like the 5D2)

if the rumours are true, the 60D is inheriting the 1Dmk3 AF system, with an all new system coming in the 1Dmk4

nooooo chance, it'll probably have a few more AF points. but I doubt very much it'll have a single dedicated DIGIC III purely for AF.

The canon 40D has been EOL in currys for a while now. If the D60 is launched, that will help drive the second hand value of 50d and 40d down even more!

I was planning on upgrading my 400D to a 40/50D... I think I will be waiting for an announcement and see what happens to the prices...

Now - I am off to buy some lesnes this month instead! :)

Even if it did, I doubt they would advertise it as having an af system which has had numerous problems!

Canon aren't reduced to developing a single camera at any one time. I presume they'll stagger the release... announce the 'lower' model first (i.e. like last year with the 50D) then go all out and release the info high end model (like the 5D2)

I know that, it is just some of the rumours, I can see that although they are slated for the '60d', are more likely to be for the 1DIV. Roll on the 19th. I want to know NOW.

I popped in to Jessops in Weymouth to look at a Canon 40D but they had no stock!
So I thought I would check with warehouse express & they only show 2 kit options & no body only option, anyway I rang WHE who said its been discontinued, with no replacement.

Does anyone know if its being replaced?

Regards Spence

Thats a bit of a shame I really like my 40D and no thoughts of replacing it anytime soon either

Darn, apparently the 19th is for the G series updates. The EOS announcement will be September 1st.

Very much doubt that, but if it is true, then my 50d will have to change to a 60d.

like i said it was a rumour i read, but i dont think its so unbelievable, the Nikon D300 has had 51 point AF for 2 years, same as the D3. At somepoint have to add a more Pro AF system. If the 1DMK4 has an all new system, its ideal to demote the old system to less spec bodies

hey adsayer im guessin u are the same guy from saxperience?

I was quite looking forward to getting a 40D, because everyone who has them seem to love em.

But I'll wait to see want happens first.

Spence

I went from the 400D to the 40D like lots of others and never looked back (y)
If the 50D had been out sooner I may have been tempted
(there have been a lot of good things said about it)
But wouldn't bother going 40D to 50D but maybe 400D to 50D

Back