Canon 450d, what next

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have a canon 450D and was thinking of upgrading, would I get much difference going to a 40D or would a 50D be better?

any comments welcome

Thanks
Greg

why are you upgrading?

The 40d is essentially the same quality image, the bodies better built with more options but image wise you shouldn't really see any difference, I'd go for the 50d in your case if money allows.

why are you upgrading?

No real reason really, I saw a review between the 450D and 40D, most bits were the same, but the build quality was better on the 40D and the composition looked better.

I suppose I have been playing with my 450D since Christmas and was thinking about going to the next level.

Having pretty much exactly same kit as in your sig, I have to say that while I have regretted not going for the 50D in the first place, mainly from a handling point of view (I've got a bunch of 'nana's for fingers and the 450D is a bit fiddly i comparison to the 40/50D) but from an Image Quality point of view I reckon that money spent on better glass would be my first point of call. Then again, I don't shoot motorsport or anything that needs a faster frame rate... landscapes aren't noted for running away from the 'togger.

The 40d is essentially the same quality image, the bodies better built with more options but image wise you shouldn't really see any difference, I'd go for the 50d in your case if money allows.

So would I see a real difference with the 50D?

Having pretty much exactly same kit as in your sig, I have to say that while I have regretted not going for the 50D in the first place, mainly from a handling point of view (I've got a bunch of 'nana's for fingers and the 450D is a bit fiddly i comparison to the 40/50D) but from an Image Quality point of view I reckon that money spent on better glass would be my first point of call. Then again, I don't shoot motorsport or anything that needs a faster frame rate... landscapes aren't noted for running away from the 'togger.

Thanks, I am just about to get a 24-105mm lens to add to my kit, just wondering if an upgrade in camera would be worth while as well?

I went from a 450D to a 40D and don't regret it.

Pro's:
Better handling (i.e bigger)
Better noise handling in higher ISO
6.5 FPS (can burst 17 in comparison to 6 on the 450D).

Con's
Drop in megapixel. Not a huge problem most of the time but i've had a few rejects from Alamy that i think are down to upsizing too much (or it could be just that the photos were rubbish) :LOL:

Like you i considered the 50D but was put off by reviews saying expensive glass was needed to make the most of the sensor. My plan is now to build on glass by which time the 60D/70D/80D or whatever will be on the market when the upgrade bug bites again :)

hi,

yer I am now starting to get better lens, most of my pictures are of the family and at the zoo, I think between my 55-250mm that should cover them till I can get a bigger better zoom.

I've seen a 40D at a good price so was thinking of getting ot and selling my 450D.

I went from a 400D to a 50D and have never looked back, however I would say get a piece of decent L series glass, and then upgrade body :)

I only went for the 50D due to my motorsport photography (as someone else previously mentioned).

thanks for the replies,

think I will wait a bit then and upgrade the lens first for a while then see whats about.

Cheers all

I was told by the guy in the local camera shop that Canon stopped producing the 40D at the end of June. Lots of stock still around currently but if this is true don't take too much time in deciding.

Paul

I've got a 450D, perfectly happy with it right now. Concentrating on buying some decent glass to put on it................. then I might start thinking about upgrading the body.

Lenses! 450d is a very capable camera with great IQ. unless you need weatherproofing and 6.5fps it's not worth getting the 40d. If you want to shoot sports and wildlife then totally get it, but if it's portraits and landscapes then invest in lenses.

I agree with getting some L glass before upgrading the body.
Unless of course you were planning on selling the kit lens with your 450D and intended to buy a good lens with the new body.
I really like my 55-250mm IS lens and I'd be curious to know what the shots are like with this lens on a 50D.

I agree with getting some L glass before upgrading the body.
Unless of course you were planning on selling the kit lens with your 450D and intended to buy a good lens with the new body.
I really like my 55-250mm IS lens and I'd be curious to know what the shots are like with this lens on a 50D.

Be curious no more. (y)
http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=55-250+50d&m=text
Flickr link with the search parameters of the 55-250mm Is and 50D.

Tommy.

I went from a 450d to a 40d for specific reasons. A lot of the photography I do is in low light and I don't always want to use a strobe. The noise control on the 40d is much better than the 450d and I'm getting more keepers with the new camera and also have ISO3200 for absolute emergencies. Also, as already mentioned, the burst rate is higher which is a godsend for some subjects. The handling is much nicer as well.

From what I've read so far, there's no real incentive to go for the 50d other than the fact that it's newer. The low light performance is apparently better on the 40d due to the lower pixel density on the sensor.

Unless you've got some specific reasons for wanting to upgrade to the 40d, I'd say spend the cach on lenses instead. Not necessarily L glass, either. Pick decent quality lenses which will allow you to get better photographs in the circumstances you shoot in most. There are some gems which aren't L class but will give you photos almost as good as those produced from lenses 4x as expensive.

Think it through a lot first!

George.

Hi George,

thanks for your coments.

I am getting a cannon 24-105mm "L" lens this week and will wait to upgrade the camera for now and build up my other equipment first. I was wanting to get some studio lights and background so can use the money saved to get better lighting. Just have to decide what lighting to go for now.

Cheers
Greg

I went from the 450D to the 40D and am really pleased with the whole thing.

I think you could probably sell your 450D and kit lens to get a nicely priced 40D for minimal outlay? or be close to and then think about a better walkabout lens/specific lens for your requirements.

Apart from the above comments about higher iso handling and fps I'd add the following:

1) I've found the actual feel of the body is great. I dont have big hands but the overall handling of the 40D is great! I could comfortably hold the camera much longer without the feel of straining due to the smaller body of the 450D in comparison.

2) the thumbwheel is awesome. changing focus points is great with it, shutter speed in manual, flicking through photos and general uses for the thumbwheel is much quicker.

3) prices of the 40D will most likely fall less sharp than the 450D in time? due to it being a better specced body?

Problem is after that (while developing 'needs' for L glass - inevitable) you'll see yourself looking at full frame 5D's next...... Argghh...

So. to sum up if you have limited yourself to either new body or new lens, I'd go lens. But as I said if you are able to, sell the 450d and kit and get a well priced 40D (for a little outlay) and the rest on a nice L lens or whichever takes your fancy.

In my opinion, it worths the upgrade to a 40D. You'll experience a completely different feeling holding the 40D. The construction is a world apart and even if you have small hands - like me - you'll find it much more confortable.

My first digital SLR was a 20D and I think I would still prefer to use one as my unique camera than a 450D.

thanks for your comments guys

I went from 400D to 40D earlier this year and frankly have been amazed to the extent that I could then see no reason to keep the 400D as my second body.

Maybe I'm lucky in having already upgraded to L glass and there were times when my results from the 400D were disappointing in terms of sharpness. Looking to upgrade the body I went for a crop sensor rather than a (mk1) 5D because most of my shots are long.

At the time the reviews seemed to point to the 50D having slightly poorer performance than the 40D at higher ISO levels but whether I'd notice the difference in the real world was never tested. In control terms there's a definite shift from the 400D but frankly I seem to get such better performace with the 40D that I'm changing ISO settings less than I used to.

So would I see a real difference with the 50D?

Yes I just got mine and in RAW the files are 20Mb and images dont need much done to them in Photoshop allmost spot on unless you wish to do anything and then you have Lots to play with
Must get some bigger Cards now LOL

Quick update,

Took on board all comments and have decided to go for a Canon 24-105mm and 100-400mm lens and to upgrade the camera to a 50D

So I will have a 450D with kit lens and a Canon 55-250mm lens for sale when my new ones arrive.:)

I went for the 50D and and a couple of L series lens, think my next lens will be the Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8 L USM for indoor use with lower light.

Back