Canon 50mm 1.4 vs. Sigma 50 1.4 HSM

I recently got the Canon f1.4 and it rules. I am sure the Sigma is nice too but it is a lot bigger. TBH I've got a couple of Sigma lenses and while they are good I am becoming more convinced that there is something extra on offer by sticking with Canon. Sure it is more expensive most of the time but the quality is way up there.

Check out www.dpreview.com for a review of the Canon 50mm f1.4

Oh yeah, the Canon doesn't come with a hood, if you plump for the Canon model please buy a hood as people have had problems in the past by sotring the lens face down and the then buggering up the focussing system. I got me a cheapo hood from ebay, works just fine.

That's interesting...

I store mine face down in my camera bag and the focussing system died, I didn't know that they might be related...

The reviews i've seen show the sigma to have significantly better sharpness wide open.

Canon 1.4 is a FAB Lens I got it at the moment It is a ace lens really is..

I recently had exactly the same decision to face and a week ago I plumped for the Canon. Price was not a factor in the decision. While it seems the Sigma 50mm has the edge for IQ in general it seems the focusing reliability is just not there. If you've got the time to get the focus just right then that might be OK, but it would be bloody useless for shooting a wedding. I need stuff that just works.

The more I read about Sigmas in general the more I feel inclined to avoid them. I now have nine Canon lenses. Each time I purchase I look at the options, including the Sigma alternatives, and every time I go with Canon due to focusing reliability. Plus, for the longer lenses Canon gives you IS and USM in each lens. With Sigma you generally can have HSM or OS but not both in the same lens. It just seems a bit nuts to me. That reliability report published recently is a bit of a shocker as well.....

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.12/the-sigma-saga

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.20/lens-repair-data-10

That's interesting...

I store mine face down in my camera bag and the focussing system died, I didn't know that they might be related...

I saw a discussion thread on a flickr group that covered this problem, I bought a lens hood sharpish after reading about numerous lenses dying on people. If your lens ever dies you can manually twist the focussing ring all the way in, apparently by giving it a little tweak or nudge it will sometimes re-engage the focussing gubbins inside.

With regards to Sigma vs Canon, the 50mm f1.4 was the first proper bit of Canon glass I bought. I previously stuck to Sigma glass, namely the 10-20mm and the 24-60mm f2.8. Although these are very capable lenses Canon definitely has the edge on image quality, it just takes everything up a couple of notches.

Its definitely Canon all the way for me now.

Why could the way you store a 50mm lens, destroy the af...:thinking:...wtf

I don't suppose the lens knows which way it is up when its being transported on a pallet with the other 500.

Its got to be an old wives tale, or there's a design flaw/quality control ?

I dunno, its the daftest thing I've heard this week..:shrug:

I recently had exactly the same decision to face and a week ago I plumped for the Canon. Price was not a factor in the decision. While it seems the Sigma 50mm has the edge for IQ in general it seems the focusing reliability is just not there. If you've got the time to get the focus just right then that might be OK, but it would be bloody useless for shooting a wedding. I need stuff that just works.

The more I read about Sigmas in general the more I feel inclined to avoid them. I now have nine Canon lenses. Each time I purchase I look at the options, including the Sigma alternatives, and every time I go with Canon due to focusing reliability. Plus, for the longer lenses Canon gives you IS and USM in each lens. With Sigma you generally can have HSM or OS but not both in the same lens. It just seems a bit nuts to me. That reliability report published recently is a bit of a shocker as well.....

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.12/the-sigma-saga

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.20/lens-repair-data-10

Why oh why have you posted links to those articles? :LOL: I'm planning on buying the 120-400mm Sigma lens in the very near future. A 44% failure rate straight out of the box is horrific, it's seriously put me off buying it. :thinking:

Why oh why have you posted links to those articles? :LOL: I'm planning on buying the 120-400mm Sigma lens in the very near future. A 44% failure rate straight out of the box is horrific, it's seriously put me off buying it. :thinking:

Well it's surely better to find out these things before making your purchase. Of course, if you want to proceed anyway then you would be wise to buy from a reputable store, probably mainland UK rather than a grey import.

Why could the way you store a 50mm lens, destroy the af...:thinking:...wtf

I don't suppose the lens knows which way it is up when its being transported on a pallet with the other 500.

Its got to be an old wives tale, or there's a design flaw/quality control ?

I dunno, its the daftest thing I've heard this week..:shrug:

Indeed, check out

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_50mm/discuss/72157603775874649/

This is where I first heard about this problem.

Hmm...

That Flickr link is an interesting read, but don't think it was the issue I had as the manual focus also died, I could onlyfocus between 0.8ft and infinity, it has been fine the last 6 months though...

My 50mm f/1.4 stopped focusing 2 weeks after it died. Luckily I got a new replacement.

If the lens is stored badly, because the focusing mechanism extends beyond the body of the lens I guess it might be possible to damage the gear drive or something.

Whether this is what happens, I'd be interested to know

I think, from all the reviews, the sigma comes out on top. It's sharp wide open, the canon needs to be stopped down a little to compete - not really why you'd by a f1.4 lens. The only problem which has been mentioned, is unreliable focussing but this seems only to be an issue at close focussing distances...not something I would think would be too much of a problem in situations where this lens is likely to be used.

I guess it depends on what you intend to use the lens for.

I agree the Canon is not absolutely perfect, wide open, but not terrible either. I have also noticed, while adjusting microfocus settings on my 50D, that the focus on the Canon can sometimes miss a little too. Obviously it is pretty demanding to test an f/1.4 lens at ~5' viewed at 100% in Live View, but I did notice the lens would sometimes swap between "as perfectly focused as possible" to "clearly not in focus" on alternate presses of the AF button - definitely something to watch for. I don't know how the Sigma would compare but there is definitely a weakness there in the Canon lens.

Here are a couple of test shots at f/1.4 - full frame resized and 100% crops. Shot raw and converted to JPEG in Lightroom using standard default sharpening and no edits.

20081125_193624_2_LR.jpg
20081125_193624_2_LR-2.jpg

20081127_080820_0002_LR.jpg
20081127_080820_0002_LR-2.jpg

Judging from the newspaper example I would say the problem is as much a lack of contrast as it is softness, and easily remedied with a slight contrast tweak. Of course, a touch more USM should also fix these up no problem (or stopping down just a fraction).

One should also not forget that the 50D's high resolution (specifically the high pixel density) is especially demanding on lenses. I'm sure with my 40D or 30D these would look somewhat sharper from the outset.

Here's an f/2 image....

20081125_193713_2_LR.jpg
20081125_193713_2_LR-2.jpg

I preferred the Canon vs the Sigma, although there is of course some variability even between identical lenses.

Six months on from when this thread started, does anyone have any longer term comments to add about the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ???

I'm being advised this is a better lens than the Canon f/1.4 I was looking at, and as it costs a fair bit more, I would hope it is. Thing is, it's a Sigma and I have taken a dislike to them since owning a couple and then seeing what good quality Canon lenses are all about. I hate the fact that my Sigma 24/70 is so stiff on the zoom (though MF is ok). I hate the fact that the lens gets longer/shorter as you zoom (i used to think all lenses did that). I hate the fact that there is always this nagging doubt that I might have a duff one.

What would YOU buy? Sigma or Canon?

My Canon has been fine reliability wise since its initial fix (I think I posted about it earlier in the thread). The Canon is a good lens, so if you buy it you will have saved some money, as well not having that doubt about the Sigma.

Based on reviews Sigma is sharper at f/1.4, but canon is far better at f/8. Sigma autofocus has problems (tried one on 30D and it was miles off), and Canon is unreliable. Hence I am waiting for the 50mm f/1.4 mk2. 85mm f/1.8 is a great alternative if you could go longer.

Can't comment on the Canon directly, but the Sigma is certainly better than both of Nikon's f/1.4 lens.

Faster focusing than the new AF-S, sharper wise open, better bokeh and better vignetting control. Its also supposed to be the same story in Sony mount - better than the new Sony offering too...

I think this is one lens where Sigma is clearly better (I'd put their 150mm macro as a lens that is also clearly better than original manufacturer offerings)

Based on reviews Sigma is sharper at f/1.4, but canon is far better at f/8. Sigma autofocus has problems (tried one on 30D and it was miles off)

Based on reviews...hmmm - I prefer real world experience myself. Nothing wrong whatsoever with the Sigma at f/8; wide-open it's sharp and just keeps getting better until it reaches a plateau at f/5.6...it'scertainly not downhill after that in my experience.

Btw, both the Sigma 30mm f/1,4 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses I have owned (still have the 50mm) AF just fine.

Based on reviews...hmmm - I prefer real world experience myself. Nothing wrong whatsoever with the Sigma at f/8; wide-open it's sharp and just keeps getting better until it reaches a plateau at f/5.6...it'scertainly not downhill after that in my experience.

Btw, both the Sigma 30mm f/1,4 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses I have owned (still have the 50mm) AF just fine.

Agree. I've tried many 50mm's for Canon including the canon 50L, 1.4, 1.8, adapted minoltas, olympuses etc.

The Siggy is the sweetest of them all for quality/price

Back