Canon 50mm 1.8 lens

Errrrr. Connecting to the camera and then taking photos :)

The main answer is probably portraits but I suppose that depends on how creative you wan to be!

It was the lens you got on Film cameras like today’s kit lens
It is seen as normal field of view equal to your eyes
It is not the same on a smaller sensor but will be on a full frame sensor
If you want the equal on a crop sensor, you will need a 35mm.
The 50mm on a crop will be a good portrait lens

Its a cheap entry into the world of prime lenses, with their low light ability and being able to explore using depth of field.

^^^ (y)

It is seen as normal field of view equal to your eyes

This is always said (and hence must be true). Yet for me I find 85mm much more natural in FoV terms.

Re 50mm - probably worth a punt as a first lens after the kit one, they hold there value anyway.

ahhh I dont know what to do, I like the idea of them and the price seems good... I now just have a Tamron 55-200 DI at the minute and should really look at getting a second smaller lens, but saying that if I did the 55-200 would most likely stay on body 90+% of the time..

bloody decisions :shrug:

Soft?

That's unusual.

Agreed :)
It is a great deal sharper than the 450D kit lens I was previously using.

Even at £80 I think it's a great little lens, I have been borrowing one for a while now and am about to buy one.
I use it for all sorts, It'll be the main lens I use this weekend at a local car show (Southern Mini Days) and it gets alot of use when I am taking shots of flowers, animals/bugs and slightly more abstract subjects.
As already said it's great for dof experimentation (y)

strumstrum, if you already have the 55-200, there will be little difference in the focal length of this lens.
It is a good lens, and fun to play with shallow depth of field, but I am wondering whether the other kit lens (for the UK) of 17-55 would give you more to experiment with?

strumstrum, if you already have the 55-200, there will be little difference in the focal length of this lens.
It is a good lens, and fun to play with shallow depth of field, but I am wondering whether the other kit lens (for the UK) of 17-55 would give you more to experiment with?

but surely I will get different results with the 50mm prime to the Tamron 55-200 at 55mm?? :thinking::shrug:

but surely I will get different results with the 50mm prime to the Tamron 55-200 at 55mm?? :thinking::shrug:

The prime will allow you to shoot at wider apertures, and IQ will be better. But the field of view, magnification, etc will be very similar.

So, do you use the Tamron at 55mm often? Do you find it's not fast enough? If so, the 50 may be a good option.

On the other hand, if you're using the Tamron at the wide end, and wanting to go wider, then obviously a shorter lens than the 50 may make sense as your next purchase.

I cannot even use my 17-55 IS kit lens anymore. The 50 and my 55-250 trounce it in the IQ stakes. Sure it offers a slightly wider option but I just feel shortchanged with the images I get from it :|

I cannot even use my 17-55 IS kit lens anymore.

this is the thing, since getting the Tamron I couldnt use the 18-55 mk2 kit lens so I sold it along with the Cosina 300mm (decent enough IQ in my opinion but just too big and hard to control when not on tripod)...

so now I have just the Tamron and so I defo want another lens(if only as a spare) that offers the best IQ I can find on a low budget.

Cracking little lens for the price. As adaptable as your creativity allows. See the nifty fifty on tour thread.

Happy with mine, havent found it soft unless right at the far ends of the scale. To get f1.8 for the price, you cant really go wrong. Also if you are using on 450D etc remember the crop factor 1.6x which makes it equivalent of 80mm.... Personally at the price cant really afford to not have one! Its one of the main things that I have liked about Canon - there is actually 1 lens i can afford to buy!

Back