Canon 550D good all round lens ( if there's such a thing)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks - a bit of help needed if you please. As a complete beginner I am now getting to grips with the camera. I have one lens only which is a canon EFS 17-85mm. Can someone tell me what this lens is best used for? It's my birthday next month and I hope I will get some pennies to spend on another lens. Can someone give me some advice as to what my second lens should be?. I rather like the idea of shooting some wildlife ( not literally) so would like something with a bit of zoom on it and not a heavy item ( if poss) looking to spend no more than £400 second hand ( ideally less if possible)
Much appreciated thanks:ty:

Hi again,

If you can push your budget a bit further then I hear the Sigma (Bigma) 150-500 is quite good. Check eBay for prices and I'm sure the net will have plenty of reviews.
The Sigma 150-500mm has very dodgey quality control. Get a good one and they are supposed to be very good but there are also very bad ones out there too. I bought one that turned out to very mediocre and sent it strait back to Amazon. The Internet is awash with similar stories. Up to you if you want to take a punt on getting a good one.

I have one lens only which is a canon EFS 17-85mm. Can someone tell me what this lens is best used for?
Why not stick it on your camera, go out and take some pictures, and find out? It won't cost you anything and it will be a good learning experience. It's a fairly general purpose lens and the list of things for which it isn't suitable is much shorter than the list of things for which it is.

The Sigma 150-500mm has very dodgey quality control. Get a good one and they are supposed to be very good but there are also very bad ones out there too. I bought one that turned out to very mediocre and sent it strait back to Amazon. The Internet is awash with similar stories. Up to you if you want to take a punt on getting a good one.

Ah, didn't realise that. My pal must've got a decent one as he has had no complaints so far with his second hand one.
What would you suggest for the money with a bit of reach?

Back