Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

awesome, that's pretty much what I'm looking at getting except I'm on a 500d the now.

thanks woof for the files had a quick play, immense! slight noise vanished perfectly, much better at 3200 compared to my 1600 by the looks of things.

Will give it a bit of thought this week before jumping in. lens wise what 2.8 lens should I be looking at given no more than £500 budget? if none will be a toss between 17-40 or 24-105. if it's the 17-40 could maybe get a 50 1.4 as well, if the 24-105 will be the 1.8 I think.

You're welcome. To be honest I was so drunk I was glad to get any keepers :D Prime wise my Siggy 50mm f1.4 pretty much lives on my 5D and it was the only lens I took on that trip. I got some great people shots in good light too but at times I did miss my Siggy 85mm f1.4, it's even better than the 50mm.

Well they were certainly nice shots!

Right so if I was to take a plunge on a 5Dc what should I look for, any issues or fixes need to look for? What serials should I be checking, what newer?

Looks like my gear might going up for sale sooner than I thought!

The only issue I know about is the mirror falling off issue.

The seller should know if it's been modded but looking into one the additional bits to stop the mirror falling off are reasonably easy to spot.

Other than that they're dust bunny magnets and get lots of debris in the VF mechanism too.

awesome, that's pretty much what I'm looking at getting except I'm on a 500d the now.

thanks woof for the files had a quick play, immense! slight noise vanished perfectly, much better at 3200 compared to my 1600 by the looks of things.

Will give it a bit of thought this week before jumping in. lens wise what 2.8 lens should I be looking at given no more than £500 budget? if none will be a toss between 17-40 or 24-105. if it's the 17-40 could maybe get a 50 1.4 as well, if the 24-105 will be the 1.8 I think.

Mat,

Sorry, not a regular on here but just spotted this thread and the fact you are thinking about looking for a 5d Mk I. As it happens, I am in the process of upgrading to a Mk III and my original 5d may be up for sale. currently at work but can send you some info later if you are interested. Looking in the region of £450 for the Body Only (keeping lenses). It's about 4-5 years old, but has a fairly low shutter count (utility for checking didn't give me a value when I checked last night). Only minor scuff on one bottom corner.

Ruairidh

Anyone using radio triggers with their 5Dc?

I was thinking of the RF602 or RF603's.

I like the look of the RF603's but I'm not sure if they're compatible, can anyone on the thread tell me what they're using with any great reliable success please before I buy :)

Hey Steve, I bought a 5D having used a 40d for a couple of years and agree with all you say.

I can't quite come to sell my 40d yet, I still love the fee land handling of it, but I so like everything about the 5D.

Great photo by the way (y)
I'm in a similar position, only with me I bought a 5D mkii after I had my 5D for 6 months. I can't bring myself to sell my 5D, to be honest I like the photos taken with it better than the mkii can't explain it, they just look more natural.

wibbly said:
Anyone using radio triggers with their 5Dc?

I was thinking of the RF602 or RF603's.

Yes, for the occasions I need it I have a pair of PocketWizards that I've had for several years :)

Yes, for the occasions I need it I have a pair of PocketWizards that I've had for several years :)

Thanks Rob, 'wizards slightly out of budget presently. Glad to hear the 5 is receptive to triggers though (y)

Hi Wibbly. I've got RF-603's so i'll test them out on my 5D and let you know. Probably won't be this evening though.

Thanks Steve (y) I hope they do, I've got a set winging their way to me as I type :cautious: :LOL:

Hi Wibbly. I realised i've got RF-602's rather than 603's but happy to say that they work perfectly. To be fair, they only use the centre pin on the hotshot so pretty much work with any manufacturer (except Sony Alpha). I've previously used them on my GF1 and NEX (with hotshot adaptor!).

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for your efforts Steve, much appreciated.

I'll sit tight now and wait for the 603's to come. I've read a little about them working so hopefully not too many issues. :)

OK - stupid question time! :LOL:

I realise it's all dependent on circumstances, and lens choice, but do you guys experienced with the 5Dc have a starting ISO point?

I'm wondering where you start with ISO whether indoors or out, and work up or down from there.

Being that it doesn't have an Auto ISO option, I'm wondering what others starting point is.

ISO 100 as default, with anything else as circumstances dictate, but I'll usually have a good idea what will be required before I start.

Edit: ISO 100 because that's where you get least noise and most dynamic range.

Last edited:
I start at ISO 100 but I keep an eye on shutter speed. I like to keep the shutter speed up to at the very least the focal length but hopefully much higher. So, with a 50mm I'd possibly shoot at 1/50 if I thought I could hold the camera steady but I'd be much happier at 1/100+.

Really I suppose, for me personally, if I don't expect to be cropping heavily or printing the size of a barn leaving a 5D on ISO 400, if that means not worrying about flitting and faffing between relatively low ISO settings, I'd be happy enough.

Just for fun... These are 100% crops. The first four are at ISO 400 and the last two are at 800. The 400 ones show no real evidence of noise. The 800 ones shows some noise, but not much at all and most of the fussiness is I think actually just the background. I could have used a little more NR but I don't think it's needed.

400-1.jpg

400-2.jpg

400-3.jpg

400-4t.jpg

800-1.jpg

800-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I need to play a bit more I think.

For some reason I seem to get some noise which I don't think I should be getting, not really sure why, that's why I was asking.

IMG_0097 by mrdaveyoung, on Flickr

This is SOOC, imported into Lightroom and then uploaded to Flickr.

The basic EXIF details are as follows -
Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/5.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias +1/3 EV

Thanks guys. I need to play a bit more I think.

For some reason I seem to get some noise which I don't think I should be getting, not really sure why, that's why I was asking.

Are you boosting the exposure or using fill light post capture? If so try to keep the exposure smack in the middle or even expose to the right and back it off post capture.

I don't think noise should be an issue or anything to worry about until you're well past 800 and even then shots should be perfectly usable up to and including 3200.

I've done nothing with that in LR, but as you can see in the exif detail the Exposure Bias is +1/3EV - do you think that is making a difference to that particular image?

I do keep it at that, as I find the images a little under exposed from both the 5D and my 40D for my liking.

Well, it's hard to tell at this size but to me it looks a little bright and seems to lack contrast and saturation.

I think I'd back the exposure off a bit and boost the contrast and saturation and then see what it looks like.

I run a little sharpening and NR on all my shots, even at ISO 100.

Well, it's hard to tell at this size but to me it looks a little bright and seems to lack contrast and saturation.

I think I'd back the exposure off a bit and boost the contrast and saturation and then see what it looks like.

I run a little sharpening and NR on all my shots, even at ISO 100.

OK, that's grand thanks. Appreciate your input and help (y)

No problemo.

I hope you are soon happy with the results you are getting.
:D

Thanks, I'm happy enough. I just think they could be even better.

I guess I'm just getting out of my own comfort zone a little and finding my own expectations wanting a bit.

Managed to find 10 minutes this afternoon so grabbed a softbox and flashgun to try some Strobism with my new 5D. I'd always much rather be shooting portraits of someone else's kids than my own as mine never listen so it's 10 times harder! I managed to convince Chloe to sit still with a combination of Bolt on the TV and a bowl of grapes...Nothing spectacular, just an excuse to practise really;

8420438779_2013cfb30d_z.jpg
[/url]
The Bolt effect! by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr[/IMG]

There's a bit of editing on here other than the B&W conversion but nothing major. I was deliberately going for a heavy contrast shot so didn't bother with a reflector on the left and instead put it behind her to give a black background.

This is of Jake (aka Spidey). Again, bit of a grab shot following some chocolate biscuit bribery! Same setup as the other shot except he's standing in front of a lighter wall and I brought the softbox further round to the camera right to light more of his face. Again, no major editing other than standard contrast/sharpening from RAW and under-exposing the reflection of the lightbox on my sunglasses which he decided would look great!

8420436535_8f4064693e_z.jpg
[/url]
Coolest Spiderman by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr[/IMG]

Overall I'm still really impressed with the FF output although I'm watching for the postman bringing my Sigma 24-70 as the 50mm is definitely not 100% functional following it's repair so it can only get better :)

Cheer
Steve

well low and behold I have a 5Dc... just trying out on loan with a view to purchase, along with a 50mm 1.8 mk1. So I am pretty much sold on it, I just have to move on my old gear to fund this and my 24-105.

First real shot out of it

Aliens... Run! by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
mata.morrison said:
well low and behold I have a 5Dc... just trying out on loan with a view to purchase, along with a 50mm 1.8 mk1. So I am pretty much sold on it, I just have to move on my old gear to fund this and my 24-105.

Good one dude, get shooting!

I've been wondering about a 24-105, just not sure of its indoor capability at f/4 :thinking:

Thanks, yea loving it, the 50mm is a much more usable focal length now. Need to get myself remote, CF cards as well.

Well I am comparing to my wife's kit lens as that has IS and it works fine, I am also really happy with the high ISO results I'm getting compared to my 500D, I won't be worried to push to 1600 and 3200 if I have to as it seems they clean up nice with a touch of NR in LR. I have a few flashes if need be as well so I'm not worrying.

^^ My advice would be get the exposure right in camera first, worry about the ISO later. 3200, if properly exposed, is perfectly usable on the 5D and can be almost noiseless. due to the frankly rubbish shadow performance and dynamic range on these sensors, a well exposed (ETTR) ISO 1600 shot will generally have less noise than an underexposed ISO 400 shot that you had to pull back in post.

1st image with my new 28-70 f/3.5 - 4.5

I've been after one of these for awhile now having read some good reviews on them. Certainly supposed to be a rather oldie but goldie!

I managed in the end to find one for a really good price, so hopefully if it doesn't live up to expectations, I can move it on without too much loss.

All I've done here is tidied up in LR and given it a little NR.

Waddya think? (honest answers please) :)

IMG_0109 by mrdaveyoung, on Flickr

1st image with my new 28-70 f/3.5 - 4.5

I bought mine in about 1988 with an EOS 650 and while plenty of other kit has come and gone (gas rules!) I've hung on to it ever since. Great little lens and works fine for me with a 5D.

As for your shot, it's easier to comment if the exif is intact so we can see iso, aperture, shutter speed etc., but it looks fine to me :)

Last edited:
I bought mine in about 1988 with an EOS 650 and while plenty of other kit has come and gone (gas rules!) I've hung on to it ever since. Great little lens and works fine for me with a 5D.

As for your shot, it's easier to comment if the exif is intact so we can see iso, aperture, shutter speed etc., but it looks fine to me :)

Thanks Paul, I think mine is a circa 1990 but still in good condition.

So far as exit data goes, I thought I had left it all in situ on Flickr, must investigate. :thinking:

I had a look on flickr and it's hidden at the mo.

Here's one of mine with the 28-70 + 5D combo. The exif doesn't survive here but is on Flickr.

7925037298_884e2f316c_b.jpg

I had a look on flickr and it's hidden at the mo.

Here's one of mine with the 28-70 + 5D combo. The exif doesn't survive here but is on Flickr.

7925037298_884e2f316c_b.jpg

Ah, found the setting. Exif info should be viewable now.

Smashing shot, precisely why I bought this lens (y)

I have some 'rubbing' marks on the body near the top rear right corner which have revealed the metal beneath the black finish. Whilst this is not going to affect the performance in any way it's very annoying. Does anyone know if this sort of damage can be repaired? Or, is there any touch up finish available like the little pots you get with a new car? If all else fails I suppose there's always the good old black marker pen:)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark8303 said:
I have some 'rubbing' marks on the body near the top rear right corner which have revealed the metal beneath the black finish. Whilst this is not going to affect the performance in any way it's very annoying. Does anyone know if this sort of damage can be repaired? Or, is there any touch up finish available like the little pots you get with a new car? If all else fails I suppose there's always the good old black marker pen:)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Funnily enough I have the same issue so if you do find a solution let me know will ya! (y)

Funnily enough I have the same issue so if you do find a solution let me know will ya! (y)

It has been suggested a dab of matt Hammerite does the trick, but this was by a friend who does motorsport photography as a semi-pro and his most recent exploit was to knock his 7D and 40-70L lens off the pit wall at Abu Dahbi grand prix circuit! He's still waiting for the bill for repairs so has bouhgt a 5D mkiii in the meantime. Oh the joy of living in a tax free state.

Back