Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Quick question.
What are 5D MKI's like at Infra Red?
Do they need any conversion or can you just put a 720nm IR filter on the front, set the WB and "shoot away".
That is the nice thing at the GF1, very easy to do IR on.

They're fine. I use a cheap 720nm IR filter occasionally.

though the lack of live view was a slight hindrance for tripod stuff
great shots, ive found myself missing live view as well when doing landscapes. though I reckon a bad back and cricked neck is worth the sacrifice for the image quality :D

i've PM'd WillieL to tell him to contact FELIX next for the dvd, so that should be in progress.

nice shots there grum, i saw these on the other thread... really appeals to me this urbexing lark and it is still on my 'to do' list... but when thats going to be i'll never know!

i've never had or even tried live view, so i suppose i can't miss it... and i've no plans for a new body yet either. what do you guys see as the main advantages of it?

i've PM'd WillieL to tell him to contact FELIX next for the dvd, so that should be in progress.

nice shots there grum, i saw these on the other thread... really appeals to me this urbexing lark and it is still on my 'to do' list... but when thats going to be i'll never know!

i've never had or even tried live view, so i suppose i can't miss it... and i've no plans for a new body yet either. what do you guys see as the main advantages of it?
for me its being able to frame up the shot when the camera is in an awkward position, and focusing when using a large aperture

for me its being able to frame up the shot when the camera is in an awkward position, and focusing when using a large aperture

aha, yeh i suppose that's a benefit... like the lower levels taken in grum's shots above. they would crick the neck a bit wouldn't they looking thru the viewfinder.

Al, you're after FELIX with the dvd i believe.. (y)

Hi,

I have just upgraded from a 350D to a 5D mark 1, I have taken a few test photos of the dog and out on the dog walk, really pleased with the performance so far. I only have one lens at the moment which is the Canon 50mm 1.4. I am going for a studio session on Tuesday I cant wait to put my 5D to the test. : )

Last edited:
Where do you all find these 5d's ?

I was getting a feel for the camera, thought I would share.

dog2.jpg

track.jpg

I would love to get one, maybe if they come down a bit more i will, but ill have to sell some stuff. I was thinking about upgrading my 400 around christmas to something like a 60d but i dont know if this would be better lol

Do you think they are going to fall much when the Mk3 is announced?

Mpb Photographic normally have a few and offer a 6 month warranty. That's where I got mine - can't fault the service.

I can't see the mk3 making a massive difference to the price really.

Not bad buying the body:)

bit more painfull adding the glass :eek:

But will be worth it in the end, just got to save for me 24-70 L lens and a nice macro

I ended up getting a Tamron 28-75 2.8 instead of the Canon 24-70L. Only £250 from One Stop Digital and the IQ is fantastic. I'm sure the build quality/AF isn't quite up there but it's a mega bargain imo.

Also using extension tubes with my 85mm 1.8 rather than getting a macro lens just yet.

I ended up getting a Tamron 28-75 2.8 instead of the Canon 24-70L. Only £250 from One Stop Digital and the IQ is fantastic. I'm sure the build quality/AF isn't quite up there but it's a mega bargain imo.

Also using extension tubes with my 85mm 1.8 rather than getting a macro lens just yet.

It gets some cracking reviews, thanks for the heads up. All other suggestions on glass gratefully accepted. I noticed that you had used a 17 in the shots you took, what did you use?

and Al the price on that 24 - 70 well you would be :p wouldn't you ..... you must have taken the persons arm off by the shoulder :LOL:

and Al the price on that 24 - 70 well you would be wouldn't you ..... you must have taken the persons arm off by the shoulder
oops lol tried to quote a post from earlier in the thread lol, corrected it now:bonk:

Just returned to the full frame club, got a 5D with grip for £650 from Harrison cameras in Sheffield with a 12 month warranty, the had another without for similar money, it looked fairly mint. I think they also had a Canon grip BG-E4(?) for about £60 as well,

Des

anyone heard from WillieL about the DVD?

Just returned to the full frame club, got a 5D with grip for £650 from Harrison cameras in Sheffield with a 12 month warranty, the had another without for similar money, it looked fairly mint. I think they also had a Canon grip BG-E4(?) for about £60 as well,

Des

Hi Des Well done on your return, (y)

Des

so, how long was it without the 5D ? 2 months ? :D

Just joined the 5D1 "classic" owners group.
Infact, I don't actually have the camera yet but should do by monday or tuesday.
At the price they are now they are too good to miss.
Torn between another 5D1 or a 1D2 for my 2nd body.
Also not sure which out of Canon 17-40 L, Canon 20-35 non L or Sigma 15-30 to get.
I'll be getting a 70-200 f4 non IS to go on whatever 2nd body I go for.

I am a proud owner of a 5D now :) It arrived a few days ago, but I haven't had a proper chance to test it out yet! My 40D will now be my second body (and my 20D will be sold).

The only lenses that I have which work on it are my 70-200mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and Cosina 100mm macro, as my other lenses (10-20 and 17-50) are crop only. I'll be selling those soon to raise funds for wider lenses. I'll hopefully be getting a Sigma 17-35mm and Tamron 28-75mm.

Yep 10 weeks, the pentax k7 was a great camera to use and had some brilliant features (manual focus confirmation and multiple metering with PKA lenses, weather sealing, easy access to metering patterns, drive selection and the like) but I couldn't live with the viewfinder on a crop camera and the IQ compared to the 5d.

The 5d is a classic and the f4 L lenses are unbeatable value, there's also a good selection of them and quite readily available. I want to add a 1d mk2n for sports and just to see what the fuss is about but other than that my current setup is spot on ( 5d, 17-40, 70-200f4, 50/1.4 and an old tamron sp90/2.5 as a portrait and macro lens) and all bought second hand.

Wicker_man, I wouldn't worry about having a small gap in your focal range, I have looked at the difference between 40mm and 70mm before buying my current lenses and worked out it was around 2.5 metres (less than 3 steps) and decided to spend more on the 17-40 rather than splitting it between a sigma 15-30 and sigma 24-70, both are good lenses but I prefer the canon look when it comes to glass (also consider the not inconsiderable weight saving). Of course this is IMHO and your needs are probably different to mine, I just thought it was worth mentioning....

Wicker_man, I wouldn't worry about having a small gap in your focal range, I have looked at the difference between 40mm and 70mm before buying my current lenses and worked out it was around 2.5 metres (less than 3 steps) and decided to spend more on the 17-40 rather than splitting it between a sigma 15-30 and sigma 24-70, both are good lenses but I prefer the canon look when it comes to glass (also consider the not inconsiderable weight saving). Of course this is IMHO and your needs are probably different to mine, I just thought it was worth mentioning....

Thanks, but because I do quite a bit of gig photography, I need the flexibility in lenses and the f2.8 aperture (although it's not constant f2.8 on the 17-35, it's still faster than my 10-20.) I usually use 2 bodies, so I can use the 17-35 on the 5D for smaller venues and have the 28-75 on my 40D, or for larger venues I can use the 70-200 on the 5D (and either of the other zooms on the 40D). I'm not really bothered about the weight, all of my cameras are gripped (and I prefer to use a handstrap when shooting.)

I would love to get the 16-35L and 24-70L if I had the cash though! And I wouldn't say no to the new 8-15L!

i've had the 24-70L in my sights for a while now.... and just this week i found myself with a bit of nice cash intake! i went into calumet m/cr and decided if they had one in stock, i'm having it!
They didn't have one... in fact.. they hardly had anything. i asked for the 85mm 1.8.. no... Sigma 24-70... no... Canon 24-105L.... no.
You wouldn't think they'd have let me go away without spending anything would you... nuts!

Can I join your little owners club? :)
Picked mine up on Friday from Avarice on here. Its my first venture into full frame. Im liking it so far, though its very different from the 400/500D's that ive been used to.

Now i need to get some glass, as I only have two lenses that fit it. 50mm 1.8 and 70-200 f4L. I would love the 24-70L but funds just wont stretch that far at the mo. I keep reading good things about the Tamron 28-75 2.8 though, so that might be my first port of call.

Welcome to the club DaveRed...

Did you keep one of the crop bodies (or will you)? If you are then have a think about the 17-40L, it often sells for £420 ish and would work well on a crop body as well as being an ultra wide on the 5d. I've owned 2 5d's and the 17-40 as been my most used lens, infact I use it as my standard lens and if you've read my previous post ten you will see the 30mm gap in focal range between the 17-40 and 70-200 is tiny in real terms ( 2 steps forward or back or a small crop if you can't walk forward).

Otherwise I think the tamron is a better bet than the sigma from the shots I've seen on the web, hope this helps,

Des

Hiya Des.
At the mo i've still got both of the crop bodies, and one is the wifes...so either way ill be left with at least one. Win win!

I do keep looking at the 17-40. Then I look at the 24-70, 24-105, back to the 17-40, then the 24-105, then I get a headache and wonder why im so indecisive hehe :LOL:

At the moment though I just cant justify spending that kind of money cause ive got a few things I need to do at home (new boiler and bathroom for starters). I might get away with convincing SWMBO that £250 on the Tamron is acceptable though, at least as an interim measure. (I shouldnt *really* have bought the 5D body right now..but what the hell!)

Hiya Des.
At the mo i've still got both of the crop bodies, and one is the wifes...so either way ill be left with at least one. Win win!

I do keep looking at the 17-40. Then I look at the 24-70, 24-105, back to the 17-40, then the 24-105, then I get a headache and wonder why im so indecisive hehe :LOL:

At the moment though I just cant justify spending that kind of money cause ive got a few things I need to do at home (new boiler and bathroom for starters). I might get away with convincing SWMBO that £250 on the Tamron is acceptable though, at least as an interim measure. (I shouldnt *really* have bought the 5D body right now..but what the hell!)

You sound like me, word for word

Looking for same glass, no money and having to avoid telling the other half that I bought another camera :eek:

:LOL::LOL:

Good club this

Unfortunately she is well conversed with the contents of my camera bag. Boo hiss!
I had to tell her I was buying the new body, cause I wouldnt get away with that.

Fortunately, she is not nearly as familiar with my model train collection so I can sneak new stuff into that on a regular basis. 'Oh that old thing dear...ive had that for YEARS!'

:LOL:

Hiya Des.

I'v bought the 5D1 to make the swap from Nikon to Canon, my Nikon kit was a D3 with a 24-70 and an 80-200. While the 24-70 is a very nice lens I often found myself wanting to be a little bit wider and found that I really never used the 24-70 other than right out at 24 or right in at 70 and if I was right in at 70, I'd often change lens to the 80-200 to have the option of going even closer.
By going Canon I'm going to have 2 bodies so I will be putting a 70-200 on either a 5D or a 1D2 which would make it not far off the 80-200 at the widest end and that'll do me for being close and then I'm going to get something like one of the 17-40, 15-30 or 20-35 lenses for the other body.

In other words, if you have a longer lens in your bag already, I wouldn't worry too much about losing the long end of a 24-105 or 24-70 in order to gain the extra at the wide end.

Yep 10 weeks, the pentax k7 was a great camera to use and had some brilliant features (manual focus confirmation and multiple metering with PKA lenses, weather sealing, easy access to metering patterns, drive selection and the like) but I couldn't live with the viewfinder on a crop camera and the IQ compared to the 5d.

The 5d is a classic and the f4 L lenses are unbeatable value, there's also a good selection of them and quite readily available. I want to add a 1d mk2n for sports and just to see what the fuss is about but other than that my current setup is spot on ( 5d, 17-40, 70-200f4, 50/1.4 and an old tamron sp90/2.5 as a portrait and macro lens) and all bought second hand.

that's great ! it only shows how good it actually is even compared to a new camera.

I might be searching for mine soon. although I'm torn in between 5d or 60d because I want to film, 500d doesn't give me much control over the video settings.

Been a lot of talk about the poor AF of the 5D classic, but covered a local footy match yesterday, supported a paintball team this morning, had a portrait session this afternoon, and the 5D classic didnt miss a beat. It focused where it should have done, tracked footballers/paintballers running away and running towards me, and out of 200 shots in the portrait session only one missed focus.

Ok, it aint a 1D or a 7D blah blah blah, but it is bloody good enough.

Last edited:
It was the talk of the AF that made the 5D debateable for me. I guess ill find out when I next go racin!

I went with the 5D because i realised i shoot more people than cars :shrug:

Back