Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

MAkes the body and kit lens a very attractive price. further so if paying via bacs

I got a Canon 270EXII to go with my 5D. It's small but pretty powerful, can be bounced, and also works as a shutter remote if needed. Not the cheapest around, about £100 for digital rev, but I didn't want to spend money on something that I wouldn't use much. Even though I have 580EXII I do use the 270 more.

cheers Dave for this

Blimey, I don't seem to be getting any email notifications, so lots to catch up on.

I had a Canon M for a while this year and it came with the small flash. It's about as useful as a OB flash IMO, so I'd definitely look at spending a bit more for the more advanced 270EXII if you do plan on relying on it.
I've lost count of the times I d lost mine in various bags, it takes up no room at all yet has come in handy quite a lot.

It looks like my 5D is back to normal. A scary few days but it's all good now. I'll not risk that again.

well i finally cracked and ended up in jessops today breaking into the savings. its going to take a long time to get my head round this af system

Basic AF works just fine for most situations :)
Matt

I'm terrible with new things have to know every bit inside and out, even though as you say the basic will do most things.

Need to get a wired shutter release now for some long exposures

I got mine 3 weeks ago, it's brilliant. Came with battery grip, LR5 an Elements 11. With my 24-105 attached I love it. My 7D sits in the bag. Hasn't seen daylight since

I got mine 3 weeks ago, it's brilliant. Came with battery grip, LR5 an Elements 11. With my 24-105 attached I love it. My 7D sits in the bag. Hasn't seen daylight since

That's what I have can't wait to actually start and use it properyl, its a big lump of camera with the grip attached

looking to get a spare battery in case i forget to charge or run out on the very rare occasion, is any one using the cheaper non canon offering if so which ones and how do they perform against the real thing ?

I picked up two non canon batteries from Amazon, seem to work perfect and get a lot of good reviews.

Any idea to which brand as there seems to be quite a few and some are only 1600 mha and some are 2600

looking to get a spare battery in case i forget to charge or run out on the very rare occasion, is any one using the cheaper non canon offering if so which ones and how do they perform against the real thing ?
I have Hahnel HL-E6 for mine. They seem comparable.

well i finally cracked and ended up in jessops today breaking into the savings. its going to take a long time to get my head round this af system

I thought I'd struggle with the AF but I found it surprisingly intuitive. . . . . . but that could mean I don't really understand it???

Darren

I thought I'd struggle with the AF but I found it surprisingly intuitive. . . . . . but that could mean I don't really understand it???

Darren

Have had a quick play and it seems ok, so far and im "gettting" it but its a long way from the dated 3 point focus system of my nikon d40 :LOL:

Do they sit flush with the camera ? also how noticeable are the black borders ?

Do they sit flush with the camera ? also how noticeable are the black borders ?

id say about 2mm if that, i dont notice it at all.

4f0q.jpg

ekbe.jpg
s051.jpg

Firmware upgrade from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 - This is for the benefit of those of you considering this upgrade and use compatible batteries or older genuine LP-E6 batteries that you have carried forward forward from a previous model.

I am currently using 4 batteries, the new canon one that came with the camera, another LP-E6 that I had previously and a 2 compatibles. Prior to the firmware update all of these batteries registered with the camera and worked fine. Since the update only the battery that came with the camera registers with the in camera battery management and status facilities. They others throw up this message " Communication with Canon LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use this battery?"

The batteries still work but they show a permanently full status in the camera until they suddenly cease to function without warning when flat! Alarming if you are out on a commercial shoot.

This is clearly a sales tactic by Canon to prevent you using cheaper generic batteries, a bit like printer ink, or am I just cynical? :mad:

I have been in touch with Canon who suggest I take or send my camera and my genuine Canon batteries to their UK service centre who will check them. Don't think I will be bothering to do that. Can't roll back to the previous firmware as it is no longer on the Canon website and I wouldn't trust downloading it from anywhere else.

I am off to Castle Cameras tomorrow to try some more alternative batteries.

Why is life so complicated?

Gerry

Last edited:
i had something similar last night, i decided to fit the grip and put the battery in a different place to normal. exactly as above the camera didnt recognize the battery ! i moved it to the normal place and it recognized it fine. decided to put back in original position and it worked fine and registered as normal. now i only have the original battery at the moment and the firmware is up to date so this does concern me a little its not even a week old yet

another LP-E6 that I had previously

Was this a genuine Canon battery??

This is pretty bad if they have prevented you using a genuine battery just because it preceded the purchase of your 5Dmk111

David

On the topic of firmware updates mine has version 1.1.3. This is the first camera I've had that has had new firmware whilst I've owned it. Do you guys load new firmware via EOS Utilities or download it to an SD card?

Back