Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Quick question regarding the SD card issue mentioned above (and two pages ago :))

If I shoot to both a CF card and SD card, how long does it take to clear the buffer, typically after 4 photos are taken quickly?

I rarely use burst mode, but occasionally (and I mean occasionally) fire off 5 or 6 shots in fairly rapid succession at a wedding and don't want to worry about my buffer filling up - this has never been an issue on a 5Dmk1 5Dmk2 for me, am I likely to notice any difference on the mk3?

FWIW I use San Disk Extreme 60MB/sec CF cards and plan on using San Disk Exteme 45MB/sec SDHC cards

Nick I haven't tested it but will you be shooting RAW to both cards?

For 5 or 6 shots in rapid succession I really doubt it's going to be a problem.

No just have a fast CF card and shoot jpeg for sports. Mine will also be used for sports amongst other things.

Woah that was my 2000th post....

Last edited:
Nick I haven't tested it but will you be shooting RAW to both cards?

For 5 or 6 shots in rapid succession I really doubt it's going to be a problem.

It really depends on card speed, I struggle to pull off 3 with a 133x speed card.

Quick question regarding the SD card issue mentioned above (and two pages ago :))

If I shoot to both a CF card and SD card, how long does it take to clear the buffer, typically after 4 photos are taken quickly?

I rarely use burst mode, but occasionally (and I mean occasionally) fire off 5 or 6 shots in fairly rapid succession at a wedding and don't want to worry about my buffer filling up - this has never been an issue on a 5Dmk1 5Dmk2 for me, am I likely to notice any difference on the mk3?

FWIW I use San Disk Extreme 60MB/sec CF cards and plan on using San Disk Exteme 45MB/sec SDHC cards

I've just tried this for you - using a 60MB/s Sandisk Extreme CF and a 45MB/s Sandisk SD card, 5D3 set on full RAW record to multiple, I got 14-15 shots before the buffer filled. It went down to something around 1 fps after that, and cleared the whole buffer within 20 seconds (was probably less, but I was not timing with a lot of accuracy!), so I would have thought that the kind of bursts you are talking about would not be a problem at all.

Well done Ed (y)

Kiz2012 said:
Is anyone selling one of these? I've bee looking everywhere and it's £2000 minimum i wonder is a second hand one any cheaper?

You would be very lucky to see one of these below 2K, not for a very long time I'm afraid.

Just about to order an SD Card...

Can anyone recommend which one to get. I read earlier that there's no point in getting anything faster than 30MB/sec,is that right?

Plan is to use a Sandisk Exreme 60MB/sec CF card and an SD card together and shoot RAW to both cards for backup purposes.

Cant make my mind up whether to get 16 or 32GB SDHC card... my plan is to keep the SD card in the camera always, and swap out the smaller CF cards as they fill (4GB, 8GB, 16GB etc)

How many images could a 16GB or 32GB SDHC card hold in RAW format?

I think that I'm going to be joining the club soon too, didn't bother replacing my 5Dc with the MkII but the MkIII ticks the boxes the MkII didn't. I also shoot with a 1D how does the autofocus compare to say the MkIIN and MkIII autofocus?

I think that I'm going to be joining the club soon too, didn't bother replacing my 5Dc with the MkII but the MkIII ticks the boxes the MkII didn't. I also shoot with a 1D how does the autofocus compare to say the MkIIN and MkIII autofocus?

I've come from a 1Ds2 and a 1D2 and the AF is at least as good, tomorrow will be able to tell you better, taking it to Waddington Airshow with a 100-400

Just about to order an SD Card...

Can anyone recommend which one to get. I read earlier that there's no point in getting anything faster than 30MB/sec,is that right?

Plan is to use a Sandisk Exreme 60MB/sec CF card and an SD card together and shoot RAW to both cards for backup purposes.

Cant make my mind up whether to get 16 or 32GB SDHC card... my plan is to keep the SD card in the camera always, and swap out the smaller CF cards as they fill (4GB, 8GB, 16GB etc)

How many images could a 16GB or 32GB SDHC card hold in RAW format?

Typical class 10 SD cards write at about 20Mb/s, although Sandisk claim that theirs can hit 30. Problem is with the 5Dlll if you have a SD card and a CF card in together the camera defaults to the slower card. So getting an Ultra fast CF card may be a waste of money.

I run mine with Sandisk Extreem's (SD)and a variety of CF cards currently Lexar UDMA's. I've not had any real problem with Buffer Full messages, but then I don't do a lot of continuous shooting. Extreme's work fine for HD filming as well. Look out for deals on SD Sandisk cards, often good price bought in twin packs

Well I've already got a SanDisk Extreme CF card, mainly for the download speed on my USB 3.0 card reader, rather than in-camera performance.

What speed does the 5Diii write data to SD cards at? Im just weighing up the cost differences between an Extreme and Ultra SD card in 32GB.

Im guessing I could leave the SD card in the camera for ever, let it live in there, and use my CF cards as my data cards - with the SD as a backup should the need ever arise?

Where from Mal? I would snap one up at that price.

I wouldn't mind knowing too as I am just about to hit the buy button on one from HDew.

Hi Mani, Andy, I have bought it from Panamoz an Asian company I have dealt with them before and to have the price reduced by 5% you have to be brave enough to pay via BT.

I enquired via their contact us form on the website as to when they were stocking the 5D MK3, this takes you their agent in the UK, they said they had none in stock and asked if I had bought from them before, I said I had and "Tania" came back and said they might be able to get one for me and the price would depend on where they sourced it from and what my requirements were(they are not a drop shift outfit btw) I said I would prefer one with an English manual the same as the 7D I bought from them recently.

To my surprise she/he (there is doubt as to the sex of this Tania :D) came back with an all inclusive price of £1995 via BT including English manual, UK charger, and delivery via UPS, I promptly agreed once I had it confirmed it was not a PDF manual.

Since I initially enquired they have now listed the MK3 here at Panamoz at a higher net price than was offered, and no mention of an English manual or charger, but their price including delivery would still come to an attractive £2043.45 inc. if you are brave enough to pay via BT. unfortunately it is listed as out of stock at present.

I only confirmed the order on Friday gone and it arrived first thing this morning.

Whether mine was a one off or not I do not know but needless to say I am delighted at the deal I was offered:).

Should anything go wrong they have a UK address for returns.

Last edited:
Posted a couple of these elsewhere but here's a few from the weekend.

7488042540_90435a9a07_c.jpg
[/url] H83A0786.jpg by BigRobinRob, on Flickr[/IMG]

7488033132_d967563af4_c.jpg
[/url] RMW_0365.jpg by BigRobinRob, on Flickr[/IMG]

Galaxy66 said:
Hi Mani, Andy, I have bought it from Panamoz an Asian company I have dealt with them before and to have the price reduced by 5% you have to be brave enough to pay via BT.

I enquired via their contact us form on the website as to when they were stocking the 5D MK3, this takes you their agent in the UK, they said they had none in stock and asked if I had bought from them before, I said I had and "Tania" came back and said they might be able to get one for me and the price would depend on where they sourced it from and what my requirements were(they are not a drop shift outfit btw) I said I would prefer one with an English manual the same as the 7D I bought from them recently.

To my surprise she/he (there is doubt as to the sex of this Tania :D) came back with an all inclusive price of £1995 via BT including English manual, UK charger, and delivery via UPS, I promptly agreed once I had it confirmed it was not a PDF manual.

Since I initially enquired they have now listed the MK3 here at Panamoz at a higher net price than was offered, and no mention of an English manual or charger, but their price including delivery would still come to an attractive £2043.45 inc. if you are brave enough to pay via BT. unfortunately it is listed as out of stock at present.

I only confirmed the order on Friday gone and it arrived first thing this morning.

Whether mine was a one off or not I do not know but needless to say I am delighted at the deal I was offered:).

Should anything go wrong they have a UK address for returns.

Cheers for that Mal, I may give them a ring. A very big risk paying by BT though.

Mani Gill said:
Cheers for that Mal, I may give them a ring. A very big risk paying by BT though.

They are an established company with good feedback , a risk yes but i wouldn't say it was a big risk ......' He who dares wins" :D

I wonder if someone with a 5d3 and a 580ex 2 flash could check some thing for me.

put the flash on the camera and whizz through the menu on camera to speedlight settings, can you see if the focus assist beam operates but the flash does NOT fire as per page 191 of the manual.

Pleeeeease :)

Reply to me from Panamoz. FWIW seems my "friends" can have the same deal:)

support@panamoz.com

09:09 (12 minutes ago)

to me
Dear Mal,

Thanks for your support. Great to know it arrives so soon. We can do the
same deal for your friends, but of course, it'll have to be by bank
transfer also. Please let us know if you're interested?

Regards,
Tina
Customer Support
Panamoz.com

> I would just like to say thanks for an excellent service, it has just
> arrived ! I amazed at the speed of delivery!.
>
> I have just noticed you have them listed on your website at a higher net
> price than i was quoted, and no mention of an english manual and charger,
> was mine a one off at that price? will they all come with english
> charger and manual? I ask because my contacts will want to know how much I
> paid etc.
>
> One again many thanks, Panamoz are certainly gaining a good reputation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mal.

Last edited:
I wonder if someone with a 5d3 and a 580ex 2 flash could check some thing for me.

put the flash on the camera and whizz through the menu on camera to speedlight settings, can you see if the focus assist beam operates but the flash does NOT fire as per page 191 of the manual.

Pleeeeease :)

I've just tried this for you, and yes the focus assist beam does operate without the flash firing.

I can't see why anyone would want that though, surely that just like shooting without flash as you can set the assist beam independantly by the menu anyway, so that the assist beam operates in all situations if required?

Surely you'd just turn the flash off.

Or am i missing something here? :thinking:

Galaxy66 said:
Reply to me from Panamoz. FWIW seems my "friends" can have the same deal:)

support@panamoz.com

09:09 (12 minutes ago)

to me
Dear Mal,

Thanks for your support. Great to know it arrives so soon. We can do the
same deal for your friends, but of course, it'll have to be by bank
transfer also. Please let us know if you're interested?

Regards,
Tina
Customer Support
Panamoz.com

> I would just like to say thanks for an excellent service, it has just
> arrived ! I amazed at the speed of delivery!.
>
> I have just noticed you have them listed on your website at a higher net
> price than i was quoted, and no mention of an english manual and charger,
> was mine a one off at that price? will they all come with english
> charger and manual? I ask because my contacts will want to know how much I
> paid etc.
>
> One again many thanks, Panamoz are certainly gaining a good reputation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mal.

Brilliant, I've give them a call today

I've just tried this for you, and yes the focus assist beam does operate without the flash firing.

I can't see why anyone would want that though, surely that just like shooting without flash as you can set the assist beam independantly by the menu anyway, so that the assist beam operates in all situations if required?

Surely you'd just turn the flash off.

Or am i missing something here? :thinking:

Its a friend of mine who asked the question because his mk3 and 580ex2 still fires the flash when set to disabled.

whats the other function of which you speak? As the 5d series have no focus assist beam on camera you have to have the flash powered up.

afaik the situation the guy was in was low light event work where he has a skyport connected via the pc terminal to trigger his quadras, but he also needs the assist beam to help focus in low light.

Its a friend of mine who asked the question because his mk3 and 580ex2 still fires the flash when set to disabled.

whats the other function of which you speak? As the 5d series have no focus assist beam on camera you have to have the flash powered up.

afaik the situation the guy was in was low light event work where he has a skyport connected via the pc terminal to trigger his quadras, but he also needs the assist beam to help focus in low light.

The flash always does fire, even when apparently disabled, though it's a very low power flash (less than the 1/128th minimum power setting). It won't show in pictures except in unusual circumstances. Nikons do it too.

I thought that was only when the flash was in wireless mode though. :thinking:

I thought that was only when the flash was in wireless mode though. :thinking:

Oh yes sorry, you can't disable the flash except in remote wireless mode. Canon assumes that if you want to do that, you just switch it off ;)

A lot of people buy an ST-E2 master unit for just this purpose, ie to use the AF assist light with zero flash contribution. You can achieve much the same effect by covering the flash head with a few layers of dark red cellophane from a box of Quality Street, and it still triggers the remotes (within reason).

Back