Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Its a friend of mine who asked the question because his mk3 and 580ex2 still fires the flash when set to disabled.

whats the other function of which you speak? As the 5d series have no focus assist beam on camera you have to have the flash powered up.

afaik the situation the guy was in was low light event work where he has a skyport connected via the pc terminal to trigger his quadras, but he also needs the assist beam to help focus in low light.

In the AF menu.. there's the option to enable/disable af assist even without a speedlite attached.

Well I've already got a SanDisk Extreme CF card, mainly for the download speed on my USB 3.0 card reader, rather than in-camera performance.

What speed does the 5Diii write data to SD cards at? Im just weighing up the cost differences between an Extreme and Ultra SD card in 32GB.

Im guessing I could leave the SD card in the camera for ever, let it live in there, and use my CF cards as my data cards - with the SD as a backup should the need ever arise?

I have no idea what speed the camera writes to the SD card.It uses the standard SD spec so I guess it's around 20-30Mb/s. The CF uses the latest spec so that can write much faster and can accommodate the faster cards on the market. However unless you need to shoot a lot at max burst I can't see a ultra fast card would make any difference as you wont be filling the buffer anyway. Also remember that just having the SD card in the camera slows the write rate down.

Well I hit the order button yesterday, so now I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive. Gonna be a big change from my 5Dc or MkIIN, but I'm hoping that it'll be the combination of the two, with extra resolution, ISO performance and video. Just got to decide on a backup now. Either a 1D MkIII or a 5D MkII, hmmmmmm.

Well I too have just bitten the bullet! Thanks Mal for pointing me to Panamoz.... they have indeed let me order it for £1995 all in.... Can't wait... kid in a toy shop and all that!

peely said:
Well I too have just bitten the bullet! Thanks Mal for pointing me to Panamoz.... they have indeed let me order it for £1995 all in.... Can't wait... kid in a toy shop and all that!

You did well there, I looked last night but now showing out if stock! That is a really great price ;)

I'll keep looking....

Hi Phil, It was showing out of stock for me too but you just need to contact them and they will source one.... Am hoping it's all ok, £1995 via bank transfer.... a lot of money for me even if it is still cheap!
But if Mal got his no problem I guess it should be ok. Have had confirmation they have received the funds and should get a tracking number soon.

Hi Phil, It was showing out of stock for me too but you just need to contact them and they will source one.... Am hoping it's all ok, £1995 via bank transfer.... a lot of money for me even if it is still cheap!
But if Mal got his no problem I guess it should be ok. Have had confirmation they have received the funds and should get a tracking number soon.

Ah ok, brilliant, I'll give them a call. Cheers! (y)

Just said goodbye to my Mark 2 and replaced it with the Mark 3... Trouble is, I've just got home and I've got to go out tonight so I won't get to play with it until later! ;)

Ah ok, brilliant, I'll give them a call. Cheers! (y)

I have actually received a thank you from Tanya for putting business their way:). It is best to do it via the contact us form then your discussion is all documented via email.

Galaxy66 said:
I have actually received a thank you from Tanya for putting business their way:). It is best to do it via the contact us form then your discussion is all documented via email.

I think it would be nice if we all say that you referred us, it may knock the price further down for any of your other purchases with them Mal, not getting mine just yet. :(

£1000:00 less than my local supplier ... that's some saving!

One day... one day... Although I really should get my hands on one to compare with the 1DIII before dropping £2-3K

I think it would be nice if we all say that you referred us, it may knock the price further down for any of your other purchases with them Mal, not getting mine just yet. :(

Nice thought Mani but no need to, just pleased to have passed on the opportunity to a few members.

BTW absolutely love the MK3 :) i have been through a few changes lately, two MK2's, two 7D's, plus a flirtation with the M4/3 format but this is definitely the one for me!!

Well I certainly owe you a beer anyway Mal! Thanks again for the heads up.... Can't wait for mine to arrive

Nice thought Mani but no need to, just pleased to have passed on the opportunity to a few members.

BTW absolutely love the MK3 :) i have been through a few changes lately, two MK2's, two 7D's, plus a flirtation with the M4/3 format but this is definitely the one for me!!

I sent an email earlier but won't hear back until the middle of the night probably. I mentioned TP but forgot to mention you Mal, I'll make sure I do in the next reply!

You never know, they might look after you in future ;)

I'll have to wait and see now, hope they can source one!

Mine turned up today, stunning camera - better in every way over the mk2. Think it's my new goto camera even or wildlife over the 7D, time will tell how it copes with BIF

One thing I love... and didnt know it did, until I got it and had chance to play with it, was the M-Cfn button to change focus point selection from:

Single Point
Single Point with smaller black square (for more accurate focus??)
Single Point with 4 adjacent points (top, bottom, and either side)
6 points

One thing it says it does in the menu, but I didn't see was the "zone AF" how do you select this? Can imagine that being quite useful for tracking on one third of the viewfinder?

Another thing I LOVE (and also didnt know it did) was being able to have different portrait/landscape orientation focus points pre-set - genius!

One thing I love... and didnt know it did, until I got it and had chance to play with it, was the M-Cfn button to change focus point selection from:

Single Point
Single Point with smaller black square (for more accurate focus??)
Single Point with 4 adjacent points (top, bottom, and either side)
6 points

One thing it says it does in the menu, but I didn't see was the "zone AF" how do you select this? Can imagine that being quite useful for tracking on one third of the viewfinder?

Another thing I LOVE (and also didnt know it did) was being able to have different portrait/landscape orientation focus points pre-set - genius!

Hi Nick,

If you look in the 4th AF (purple) menu and go into 'Select AF area selec. mode' then you can enable the zone AF from there (believe it is not selected as default).

For what it's worth, I'm using 64GB and 32GB SD cards for backup - like the idea of being able to just leave the card in the camera for long periods of time without feeling the need to clear the pictures off, just in case I do something stupid with the ones I took off the CF card (even though I do go a bit overboard in having backup copies of stuff!)

Not sure if this is any use to users here. I always buy an L bracket for my bodies as I do a lot of landscapes with a tripod. Until now, I bought Kirk brackets, but they are invariably difficult to get hold of in the UK as WEX are the only retailer I know of and they are expensive.
I took a look on eBay and found one by Sunwayfoto at £69.99 and decided to try it. Purchased from CGUK and I have to say their service was excellent. They made a mistake and sent out the wrong model and not only were they honest enough to say they had made a mistake, they took 15% off the price!
The bracket itself is surprisingly well made and a bargain for anyone looking for an L bracket for their Mk3.

I got a reply this morning saying they would do it for me too, so I've gone for it!

With the weekend fast approaching I expect it will be about a week before it arrives. Just too good a price to turn down.

Cheers again for the heads up Mal, how are you getting on with yours?

Edit: I just got an email from Tina saying the item has been dispatched already. Now that is quick! I'd never heard of Panamoz before but if all goes well I'll certainly use again.

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before in relation to the MK3 so apologies if it has but someone may find it useful.

I got rid of my EF100-400mm to partly fund my MK3 but kept my EF70-300mm L (because it's a sharper and newer lens). As you probably know, the 70-300L won't work with Canon or Sigma tele-converters but will work with the Kenko Pro300 DGX. On my MK2 the AF performance was iffy sometimes but on the MK3, it works as well as though the TC wasn't even there!

To prove a point, I put the camera on auto ISO and took a shot of the dog. I was stood outside in the sun and the dog was indoors. The ISO went straight to 6400 but the AF didn't even hiccup... It just locked straight on! :)

I'm rather chuffed with that sort of performance... It certainly bodes well for Welsh Summer (rainy) wedding shoots! :D

I got a reply this morning saying they would do it for me too, so I've gone for it!

With the weekend fast approaching I expect it will be about a week before it arrives. Just too good a price to turn down.

Cheers again for the heads up Mal, how are you getting on with yours?

Edit: I just got an email from Tina saying the item has been dispatched already. Now that is quick! I'd never heard of Panamoz before but if all goes well I'll certainly use again.

Good to hear that :) it can't get any better than mine for delivery, ordered on the Friday afternoon and here 9.00am Monday, tracked all the way.

Before I commit to buy from Panamoz; is the body a UK model or a grey import? What's the situation with the Canon warranty? I note it says "1 year warranty" on the advert; but does that relate to a genuine Canon warranty or something offered via Panamoz?

Cheers,

Rhod

Hi Rhodri, mine is in transit and is tracking from Hong Kong, as expected it will be a grey import and therefore I believe the responsibility of the warranty will lay with Panamoz. But for £1000 cheaper than UK high street I am willing to take that risk.

Before I commit to buy from Panamoz; is the body a UK model or a grey import? What's the situation with the Canon warranty? I note it says "1 year warranty" on the advert; but does that relate to a genuine Canon warranty or something offered via Panamoz?

Cheers,

Rhod

The body I received from them was identical to a UK model, was supplied with a UK manual and UK charger and with all languages installed, I was given the understanding in an email ( re post 554) anyone else would get exactly the same deal but it is the buyers responsibility to confirm this when ordering.
The warranty should it ever have to be used is via a UK address, there is also an optional warranty you can pay for whereby you receive a direct replacement rather than wait for one to be repaired. Full details are on the site.

I am not associated with Panamoz in any way other than as a customer :D

The body I received from them was identical to a UK model, was supplied with a UK manual and UK charger and with all languages installed, I was given the understanding in an email ( re post 554) anyone else would get exactly the same deal but it is the buyers responsibility to confirm this when ordering.
The warranty should it ever have to be used is via a UK address, there is also an optional warranty you can pay for whereby you receive a direct replacement rather than wait for one to be repaired. Full details are on the site.

I am not associated with Panamoz in any way other than as a customer.

Regards,
Tina
Customer support

:D

Fixed that for you ;)

I've had an email confirming the price too - can't decide if I should stretch to it or not.

Where can I get a D4 or D800 £1000 off UK price? :shrug:

Galaxy66
your a top fella.... although my wife might not think so when she gets home!!!

ordered myself a nice shiny new 5D3 from Panomoz hopefully be here early next week
so thanks for the heads up regarding the price
I nearly paid £600 more 3 weeks ago so glad I held out and then came across this thread
(y)

Buttkicker said:
Galaxy66
your a top fella.... although my wife might not think so when she gets home!!!

ordered myself a nice shiny new 5D3 from Panomoz hopefully be here early next week
so thanks for the heads up regarding the price
I nearly paid £600 more 3 weeks ago so glad I held out and then came across this thread

Good man, another one onboard the Panamoz express!

They're going to honour you with a plaque in their office Mal ;)

Well, I'm really close to getting one now I think - all I need to do is sell a load of stuff to raise the cash - the list is currently on the price check list if anyone is after some more kit :)

Update: stuff now for sale!!

:clap: Just got mine about a month ago and love it. Mainly do street shooting and the Silent Shutter is a dream.

Last edited:
Back