Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Hi guys,

I had a search to see if this was discussed before, but shows no results. I've had the MK III for about 2 months and it's great. I love it, and I use a MK II alongside it.

Battery life, though, is not so good and it drinks battery juice so fast that I'm beginning to wonder if it's functioning properly. Has anyone else found this? MK II is really good in that respect and with a battery grip, I can easily get a good 600 or 700 shots. The MK III just runs out of battery all the time.

I must say that I am using third party 2100mah batteries, which work fine on the MK II. Is there a chance the MK III just doesn't like third party batteries?

Any answers gratefully received.

Cheers,

Allan

Hi guys,

I had a search to see if this was discussed before, but shows no results. I've had the MK III for about 2 months and it's great. I love it, and I use a MK II alongside it.

Battery life, though, is not so good and it drinks battery juice so fast that I'm beginning to wonder if it's functioning properly. Has anyone else found this? MK II is really good in that respect and with a battery grip, I can easily get a good 600 or 700 shots. The MK III just runs out of battery all the time.

I must say that I am using third party 2100mah batteries, which work fine on the MK II. Is there a chance the MK III just doesn't like third party batteries?

Any answers gratefully received.

Cheers,

Allan

I have both genuine Canon and 3rd party... can shoot all day and not run out on one battery...

Does not mean much. The screen is what kills the battery more

Hi

Don't really use the screen much for review only bother if i am running low on card capacity then delete some perhaps.

Do you use the screen much as in maybe live view?

My Mk 2 would run maybe 800 images and for me the mk3 does way better on battery

Allan

There appear to be a difference of opinion regarding the rear viewing screen.
Some say the screen can be removed & replaced as the MK2 @ a cost of £20 -30.
Others say it’s an integral part of the rear display & if its damaged a whole new unit will be required.
As there appears to be no definitive answer to the question, I would prefer to air on the side of caution & fit screen protectors.

rtfm !!!! you calling me a girl:eek::LOL:
cheers mate .iam going to be hopping foot to foot till it arrives
one question(already!!)what speed cf card doesnt hold up the camera at all .

I am also a new member of the 5D3 club :)
I also wanted to ensure that I gave my new toy the best possible CF cards I could afford.
Having looked around, I found this as a good form of reference

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12452

I then found some Transcend 16GB 600x Extreme Speed Compact Flash Cards on that 'rain forest' retail outlet @ £34 each.
The reviews are good & the price is reasonable for speed/size.

The cards turned up within two working days & works well (still early days)
Will give them a proper test on the weekend with some fireworks :)

I am also a new member of the 5D3 club :)
I also wanted to ensure that I gave my new toy the best possible CF cards I could afford.
Having looked around, I found this as a good form of reference

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12452

I then found some Transcend 16GB 600x Extreme Speed Compact Flash Cards on that 'rain forest' retail outlet @ £34 each.
The reviews are good & the price is reasonable for speed/size.

The cards turned up within two working days & works well (still early days)
Will give them a proper test on the weekend with some fireworks :)

excellent thank you mate

The actual LCD screen is below a screen protector.

Here is a video how to replace screen protector on 5D2, but I don't think it is that much different for 5D3 (it was the same for my older EOS camera).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqkrLClUv8

Just found the thread on another forum

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1185440&page=3

If you go down the page to SkipD

Also they link to this review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/3

last piece on the bottom

I've got the Kirk without a battery grip, very well made and great fit, fitted it once, haven't had to adjust since.

cheers - i've got one i had for the mk2 which is peeing me off now as they moved the battery access on the grip to the side you now (with this bracket) can't access the batteries to change them:bonk: so have to keep taking it off

thinking of chopping it in for a kirk one as looks good, ta

drew

DuncanDisorderly said:
Slightly puzzled.
IU like the idea of an L-bracket, but how do you access the remote release socket with the L-bracket in place?
Doesn't the bracket cover the rubber doors?
Ta - Duncan

Usually a notch cut out for the cable release cable and doors open fine

Just checked it has 1.1.2, will upgrade as no one is shouting "DON''T DO IT"
Thanks for your help, normally never worry about it and just upgrade whenever I think about it but someone I know was fretting about upgrading their mk3 as had a bad upgrade experience with a 7d.
Cheers again.

Silly question but is there a way to turn on a count down clock on the rear screen for when doing long exposures +30 seconds as my 450D had it by default but it seems to be only available on the top screen that is no use to me, and I cannot find any option in the menu....

New to the forum but would just like to extend a big thank you to everyone who has posted about Panamoz. I've been saving every penny just to get a Canon 5D mark II. In the saving process the Mark II became a Mark III. Even better or NOT as the case may be as the priced doubled.

Anyhow to cut a long story short. All the experiences that i've read about have led me to Panamoz. Prices are the cheapest on the Internet and service sounds amazing. So having asked the very nice Tina. I've waiting on my invoice and BT details. About to order and see my balance being reduced to a few pennies.

Will keep you posted

Update:
Balance is still at a few pennies but proud owner of a 5d Mk iii and a 24-70 mk ii. Just would like to thank the team at panamoz for an almost perfect quality price and service. I can't blame them for a slightly bruised package/box (thanks to UPS). Used the camera over the weekend in the local park. Managed to snap a few trees still boasting their golden leaves against a very nice blue sky.

Last edited:
Slightly puzzled.
IU like the idea of an L-bracket, but how do you access the remote release socket with the L-bracket in place?
Doesn't the bracket cover the rubber doors?
Ta - Duncan

Usually a notch cut out for the cable release cable and doors open fine

Yep, a cutout on the corner, I can get to both the hinged flaps (the cable release one and the HDMI one) no problem.

well mines just arrived ( from Panamoz(y))with uk charger and Manuel ,batterys on charge cant wait.

Aberystwyth is rapidly turning into a 5DMKIII (and X10) zone! (y)

Might catch you over the weekend,
Cheers,
Si

Aberystwyth is rapidly turning into a 5DMKIII (and X10) zone! (y)

Might catch you over the weekend,
Cheers,
Si
cool ,sounds good
theres one or two about :D,my x10 has gone back
now to find my way round the menus in this bugger

Whilst copying files over to my laptop, I accidently pushed against the SD card, thus ejecting it.. tried to put it back in, but it wouldn't read, used an external card reader, and it said it needed formatting... eek... put it back in my camera, and I could see all the photos.... so tried to use the USB cable to copy it, but didn't know how to do it lol.. is there a menu I need to go through to do it??

Anyway, I had clients over, so left it... went back, and tried again in my laptops SD card reader, and it worked fine - phew!

So for next time.. anyone know how to transfer files using the USB cable? I would have thought it would have popped up as a new drive like a USB Stick... I really should RTFM, but I'm in work now lol.

I have a 5D3, a 580EX2, and a Yongnuo flash. I am also using Yongnuo radio triggers for off camera flash stuff.
Now, whenever I am using liveview, the off camera flashes just wouldn't go off when pressing the shutter.
Switch the liveview off, flashes go off fine.
I think it is the same with 5D2. And I am not sure if it is just setting issues, or it just won't work on liveview.

Anyone encounter the same issue or know the solution?

Cheers

I have a 5D3, a 580EX2, and a Yongnuo flash. I am also using Yongnuo radio triggers for off camera flash stuff.
Now, whenever I am using liveview, the off camera flashes just wouldn't go off when pressing the shutter.
I think it is the same with 5D2. And I am not sure if it is just setting issues, or it just won't work on liveview.

Cheers

I encounter this too in eos utilities.

Cheers

I found this, not sure if it helps: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3206261

Back