Canon 600mm F4 depreciation

Edit My Images
No
Started to enjoy bird photography. Never thought I’d get back in to photography - but there you go.

Contemplating a secondhand 600mm F4

If purchased, am I likely to loose much money value wise ie depreciation ?

Thanks

I’m not sure about depreciation but if it’s an older lens double check that Canon still service it parts are no longer available for older big whites

Sounds obvious but depreciation is most dependent on purchase price. If you get a bargain it won't depreciate much, I've made money of quality lenses I have bought after keeping them for years. As above the older lenses cannot be serviced but they have also nearly hit their bottom price and the pre IS and VR lenses from Canon and Nikon are still fantastic performers. The older lenses may not give the full FPS on mirrorless cameras so that may knock a bit from their value in years to come.

check that Canon still service it parts are no longer available for older big whites

That's what would be the very first thing on my mind. It is a very shameful conduct by canon selling 10K lenses and telling you to F-OFF 10 years later. Do other brands treat customers just as poorly? This would be enough to make me change brands in an instant.

And I would certainly want most components made out of metal and replaceable / available electronics.

The oldest Canon 600mm f4 i.s lens Canon service. Is the current mkii version. I sold my mki version about 2 years ago when I found out they would no longer service the mki version.

The oldest Canon 600mm f4 i.s lens Canon service. Is the current mkii version.

That's correct. Now how many more years will mkII be still covered considering it is also discontinued and mkiii is out, presumably only to be replaced with RF version imminently?

I sold my mki version about 2 years ago when I found out they would no longer service the mki version.

That's a shame if you were forced to do this because of the servicing rather than gain of function or weight reduction. If some Canon rep is reading this I want to make it crystal clear to you how unreasonable you are,

Back