Canon 60D 17-55mm or 24-105mm????

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to upgrade my kit lens (18-55mm) for my 60d. I was 100% decided on a tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non vc, however I have now come into some cash and can increase my budget.

I immediately switched my attention to a Canon 17-55mm 2.8 but have had a few suggestions of getting a Canon 24-105mm. I've never considered this before as I've always thought of it as a 100% full frame lens and not for crop cameras.

Now I really can't decide between the 2. Obviously the 17-55 would be wider and is 2.8, but the 24-105mm has more reach and is a L lens (plus would give option to upgrade to full frame at a later date).

Does anyone here use a 24-105 with a crop camera? What everyone do in my position and why? Really can't decide

The 17-55 is supposed to be as good as L glass and has the nice f2.8. You can always sell it, if you go full frame.

I'd hold off on the 24-105 too. The 2.8 will be more useful and anyone I've asked about the 24-105 says it's not wide enough on a crop. Get a 70-200 F4 at a later date and you're covered. If/when you go FF then look at 24-105.

I'm fortunate to have both the 17-55 and the 24-105 and use them both on a 7D. Both lenses are excellent and have their plus points.

The extra reach of the 24-105 is very useful, but sometimes minimum focal length of 24mm is just not wide enough, especially in an urban environment.

The 17-55 is sharper than the 24-105 and the range is about right for a general purpose lens. The 2.8 aperture is handy too.

If I had to choose, the 17-55 would be my favourite, it's a lovely lens and the perfect match for a crop sensor.

I doubt you would be disappointed with either lens, both are a delight to use.

Chris

I have the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non vc for my 60D and think it's great. I read somewhere when I was researching the lens that the non vc is far better than the more expensive vc. I do landscapes mainly so use a tripod though.

Thanks for all the input guys. I was decided on the tamron but have now definitely ruled it out for either of the 2 canons mentioned.

I think I'm 80% decided on the 17-55 / 20% on the 24-105

Don't let a possible decision of full frame in future influence your decision now unless you are actively saving for it now.

Buy what is right for you now...

What do you shoot mainly?

Don't let a possible decision of full frame in future influence your decision now unless you are actively saving for it now.

Buy what is right for you now...

What do you shoot mainly?

Sage advice. Why worry about a possible full frame upgrade?... Just worry about the lens that suits your shooting now.

As for the 17-55mm, it's a decent lens optically (not groundbreaking) but its not the most rugged of designs. It feels pretty weighty but it still has a very plasticky feel and does suffer from a slight bit of zoom creep. It also has a very long extension of the zoom barrel so could be prone to sucking in dust through the action of the zoom. it also has the most god-awful placement of the manual focus ring.... Truly awful design.

I use one on a 650D regularly both as a second video camera and in the studio and it makes me appreciate how much better my Nikon 17-55mm is for the same money (on the used market).

Last edited:
Partly depends on what other lenses you have too..

I use the 24-105 as a walkabout lens on my 7D, but if I know I'll want wider (e.g. a day walking around a city), I'll put my 10-20 on. Or for more static shots, I know it's in the bag if need be. Having said that, I rarely find myself reaching for it, despite the fact I love the WA Sigma...

My only gripe is f4 isn't that fast, so can come up a bit lacking unless you want to push the iso or really blur the backgrounds.

I've decided I'm going for the 17-55mm. Main reason is that I'm not 100% certain I'll definitely go full frame in the future. Gonna buy it next week, cheers for all the info guys :)

Last edited:
Well..............my new purchase has just been delivered, and it is not a 17-55mm!

I got a rush of blood to the head and ordered a Canon 6D + 24-105mm kit lens (even though my last post says i'm not sure if i'll ever go full frame, took me less than a week to change my mind and go full frame) :LOL:

I couldn't resist the £150 cashback + an additional £150 discount + a free BG-E13 grip + free adobe lightroom 5 and elements 11. With all that free stuff, once I've sold my crop camera and crop lenses my outlay will be about the same as just buying a 17-55mm.

Now to sell my 60d with 18-55 & 55-250 lenses!

Last edited:
Well..............my new purchase has just been delivered, and it is not a 17-55mm!

I got a rush of blood to the head and ordered a Canon 6D + 24-105mm kit lens (even though my last post says i'm not sure if i'll ever go full frame, took me less than a week to change my mind and go full frame) :LOL:

I couldn't resist the £150 cashback + an additional £150 discount + a free BG-E13 grip + free adobe lightroom 5 and elements 11. With all that free stuff, once I've sold my crop camera and crop lenses my outlay will be about the same as just buying a 17-55mm.

Now to sell my 60d with 18-55 & 55-250 lenses!

Fair play :woot:

Back