Canon 6D from ebay?

Name
Ramin
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am posting my thread in the wrong section.

I am planning to buy a Canon 6D from ebay from a buyer with %100 positive feedback (out of 3500ish). The item is listed for £1400 which is (£600) cheaper than what I would have to pay at, say Currys for example. The ebay seller seems genuine but I am getting a bit paranoid for the sole reason of the price difference. I was wondering if anyone has used this seller before? Should I be worried that there might be a catch?

Here is the link to the item.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am posting my thread in the wrong section.

I am planning to buy a Canon 6D from ebay from a buyer with %100 positive feedback (out of 3500ish). The item is listed for £1400 which is (£600) cheaper than what I would have to pay at, say Currys for example. The ebay seller seems genuine but I am getting a bit paranoid for the sole reason of the price difference. I was wondering if anyone has used this seller before? Should I be worried that there might be a catch?

Many thanks in advance.

Feedback all looks good and I was looking at a lens from the seller the other day, I strongly suspect that at that price it will be a grey import so my main concern is how or who will carry out warranty work if something did go wrong with your purchase, I can find nothing more about the 3 year warranty other than it states 3yr uk warranty included

Welcome to the forum Ramin

Last edited:
Welcome to TP, Ramin.

That eBay seller is registered in the USA, so that camera is almost certainly being imported illegally into the UK and avoiding import duty and VAT. That's why it's so cheap.

The other think to look out for is the warranty. Do Canon UK provide warranties on illegal imports? If not, who is the warranty with? These are the questions you should be addressing.

That eBay seller is registered in the USA, so that camera is almost certainly being imported illegally into the UK and avoiding import duty and VAT. That's why it's so cheap.

Hi Stewart
Not wishing to hijack Ramin's thread but how did you find that out?

@Ramin welcome, that is an excellent price and the sellers feedback is great. Putting aside that it's probably a grey import which is no bad thing provided you understand what that entails, i'd say go for it. Just check with the seller first about the company that is covering the warranty as it won't be Canon UK, it'll be a 3rd party insurance. Get that cleared up and you'll make a significant saving over UK prices :)

Putting aside that it's probably a grey import which is no bad thing provided you understand what that entails...
Well, it's "no bad thing" if you ignore the illegality, the reduced tax revenues for the UK government, the widespread closure of UK retailers who can't compete against illegal imports, the corresponding rise in unemployment, etc.... But they're pretty much the only downsides.

The negative and neutral feedback suggest that they are grey imports but it personally wouldn't bother me.
Just below the add to basket button there is a 3 year warrany for sale for an extra £269.99, so i would make sure you dont have to buy the warrany for an extra £269.99!
As everybody else says just clear up the warranty issues.

I purchased mine from an e bay seller 4 months ago, brand new and sealed.
I couldn't be happier.

His stock was in the Uk, took 2 days to arrive, and when I registered it with Canon online, there were no problems and it didn't kick it out, unlike my HK purchased 600D.

Ask if it's uk stock, and look around. The one I bought was £1100 body only.

Cheers
Dave

Well, it's "no bad thing" if you ignore the illegality, the reduced tax revenues for the UK government, the widespread closure of UK retailers who can't compete against illegal imports, the corresponding rise in unemployment, etc.... But they're pretty much the only downsides.
Stewart the world and his wife know your stance on grey imports, its tiresome given its been done to death.

To the OP have a read of this about grey imports, which technically it will be but its already in the country so you aren't the importer so no longer liable for tax, import duty etc. : http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...rey-imports-and-other-assorted-topics.512133/

You'll not burn in hell for considering the purchase, no kittens will be harmed if you click the buy button and employment will not rise ten folder because you saved a bit of money on buying your 6D (it's a great piece of kit if you're a Canon shooter).

Last edited:
You'll not burn in hell for considering the purchase, no kittens will be harmed if you click the buy button and employment will not rise ten folder because you saved a bit of money on buying your 6D (it's a great piece of kit if you're a Canon shooter).
Yep, all true. Especially the bit about the 6D being a great bit of kit.

Indeed, the choice of a 6D is a good one.

While a bit gadgety I love geotagging my picture, although the gps does need turning off when your not using the camera for a few days as it will drain the battery.

I'm getting to grips with the wi fi connection to my smart phone too, and getting better results each time I'm using it ( currently on a family of foxes).

It was great at RIAT too!

Hi Stewart
Not wishing to hijack Ramin's thread but how did you find that out?

Click on OP's link. Click on seller's name.

A'm I missing something here, when I click on sellers name or contact details at bottom of listing it states UK seller with a London address.

When I click on sellers name it states on my page, that hes a Uk seller?? Generally interested as I buy a fair bit from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/steadydeals-uk?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Below copied from ebay page.

"Based in United Kingdom, steadydeals-uk has been an eBay member since 20 Feb, 2012"

Last edited:
Reactions: RKC
I can vouch for Panamoz - I had a minor issue with my order (paid via bank transfer). They sorted it out pronto (paid my money back into my account to buy the strap rather than waiting for one to be sent). I won't go into the details about how they work - but they are a good company to deal with and I find their prices very very good. I will be using them again when I need/want something expensive.

possibly something to do with you are using an app, I get same as Simon

Strange! Perhaps he is an importer, but based in London?? If I'm reading it right, David Jones purchased his camera from them and had it delivered in two days, so perhaps he's holding stock in this country?

Theres other companies on ebay based in the UK which are importing and then selling on for a £150.00 or so profit. It was the case particulary when I purchased my XT1 a few weeks ago, may as wll import yourself if going down that route.

Hi Simon,

Not from this company, which is why I suggest contacting them and asking for confirmation that these are NOT grey goods and are currently UK stock.

Sorry for the confusion.
Cheers
Dave

Hi

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Ramin

Have a look here http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-6D-+-24-105mm-Lens

Cheapest UK supplied with full Canon UK Warretny at present £1850 for the 6D and 24-105 lens

HDEW are currently doing the 6D body and seperately a 24-105 lens for £1650 - could be worth a phone call to them to see if the do the kit and how much it is...

Go with a reputable supplier that offers warranty. Imagine you buy off ebay and something goes belly up with the camera! Buy cheap, pay twice!

I'd recommend buying from Panamoz. Have a great reputation and you can get with 24-105 for less than £1,300 delivered. I bought mine frim there about 4 months ago

Is it not worth insuring the equipment instead of worrying about the warranty? That is assuming that the camera and the lens are not faulty when I get them.

Insurance will normally cover damage, theft etc. Warranty will cover against manufacturer falts etc.

Is it not worth insuring the equipment instead of worrying about the warranty? That is assuming that the camera and the lens are not faulty when I get them.

You may well find that your home contents insurance will cover the for theft etc, I pay £13 per year to cover valuables as an extra on my insurance and specifically have stated my camera equipment.
If you click on the square trade warranty you end up here if it helps http://p.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/uk/safetycentre/eBay_SquareTrade_UK_TandC.pdf

Warranty and insurance are 2 different things, it all depends really balancing savings against peace of mind, like in my case it would appear that on a lens I am interested in buying of Ebay or from say WEX I could save £60-70, but if I am unlucky and it develops a fault, the seller has informed me that I have to send it to him at my cost, he sends it to Japan I would get it back in 3-4 weeks, for me I will stick with UK, of course your case is different in terms of savings but the principle is the same.

the kit is on the link i posted above £1649 with 3 year warranty at Hdew

Didn't see that :)

I think personally with the cashback Canon are offering, I'd be tempted to buy a UK one - about £50 more after cashback, according to current price on CPB site.

Canon won't give cashback from HDEW, but there have been posts that they have received cashback on HDEW purchase previously...

Back