CANON 6D OR NIKON D600

Name
Sohail
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone help I need to buy a new camera, and had my eyes set on the Canon 6D.

After reading/watching reviews of the camera :bang:, I am now worried about the AF system, and someone has suggested the Nikon D600.

On paper they both seem to be the same, can anyone shed some light.

Thanks

Saul.

Your info indicates you already have Canon gear so go for the Canon. If you don't, try and handle both cameras and see which one feels best. I wouldn't worry overly much about the AF systems in either, unless you are intending to shoot fast action sports and the like. The AF on either won't match the top of the line bodies but that doesn't mean they don't work ;) They do, and work fine from my own experience (D600) and what I've seen of the 6D.

saul01 said:
Can anyone help I need to buy a new camera, and had my eyes set on the Canon 6D.

After reading/watching reviews of the camera :bang:, I am now worried about the AF system, and someone has suggested the Nikon D600.

On paper they both seem to be the same, can anyone shed some light.

Thanks

Saul.

Personally i will go with the 6d just to avoid the dust paranoia and good lens are a lot cheaper with canon.
I have the D800 and quality pro glass = big buck
you can get the 17-40 f4 for about 500 pound and on the used market you will have more choice if you tight on budget.

In my humble opinion the D600 has a superior sensor, a far better dynamic range, better resolution (although that is something most of us don't need) and is a great camera throughout, much closer to its more professional brothers also on the software side than - again in my humble opinion - the 6D. I really loved it... except for the sensor dirt issue.

I was prepared to clean the sensor every couple of weeks, and bought the D600 despite knowing about the issue. At first I took a few hundred pictures without problems and I really like the camera and the results, but then the dirt issue got so bad that I would have had to clean the sensor every couple of days, and that's when I decided that the camera is unusable for me.

So if you are lucky and get a D600 which does not have the issue (one guy on this forum with a camera with a serial no. of 90xxxx says he doesn't have the issue), the D600 would be my preference by quite a margin. But as things are, and also with Nikons for me not very conclusive information policy as to what will happen in the future, I personally would get the 6D, if only these two cameras were on the list to chose from.

Last edited:
Seeing as you already must own Canon lenses probably would be sensible to get the 6D

Daresay the D600 dust issue is no worse than your 5D if mine is anything to go by

A lot of people talk about the 6D's AF, the center point is very very good, in fact it is more sensitive than the one in the 5DmkIII as it goes to -3ev compared to -2ev of the 5mkIII.

Yes, the outer ones are not great, but still work well in most situations and generally, the majority of people I speak to use the centre point anyway.

Do you struggle with AF on the 5D? What sort of shooting are you looking to do as that will say if the AF isn't going to work in your situation?

Im not sure why its sensible to stick with Canon just because you may have some lenses, switching systems doesnt take very long and doesnt mean it will cost a lot or you'll lose a lot. Just depends on if you sourced new lenses or if you bought them used, most of the time you can make all your money back on used goods.

Last edited:
Im not sure why its sensible to stick with Canon just because you may have some lenses, switching systems doesnt take very long and doesnt mean it will cost a lot or you'll lose a lot. Just depends on if you sourced new lenses or if you bought them used, most of the time you can make all your money back on used goods.

It depends what and how much you've got. I could have done it 4 years ago, but now that would be unthinkable unless Nikon came in and offered a very sweet swap-over deal

You're right of course, if most of the glass was bought second hand. But if you had bought new and had a reasonable collection of lenses the losses could well be significant and there would have to be a really good reason to take such a hit for me.

One other advantage the Nikon has over the Canon is the viewfinder is 100%, if your shooting landscape thats certainly something to consider.

I went for the 6D because I did not want to give up my lens collection. I have amassed some very nice lenses and did not wish to start again, losing money on the sale of each piece of glass, and then playing a lottery of whether I got a good Nikon copy or not.

If I was starting out I would probably have chosen the D600. It pips the 6D in most areas, but for me the glass I already owned was much more important than a minimal body upgrade. Modern bodies can almost be be thrown away after 4-5 years, but good glass last a lifetime.

I'm currently asking myself the same question, i will be selling my Sony stuff to get either, at the moment the 6D is getting the nod but that could change as i've not handled either.

I'm currently asking myself the same question, i will be selling my Sony stuff to get either, at the moment the 6D is getting the nod but that could change as i've not handled either.
Are you unhappy with Sony bodies or lenses? The Sony A99 may be a more sensible bet if you have a large collection of Sony kit. It offers similar IQ to the D600 (same sensor) plus a few hardware/feature improvements?

If you really want to change, I suggest looking at lenses first, and deciding which lineup (Canon vs Nikon) best suits your needs. Both camps have some great lenses, but they are not always of the same length, range, or even price band. Good lenses will last through multiple bodies, so chose which ones you need and then buy the body to match.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thank's to all for their advise and comments. I have finally bit the bullet and decided to pay the extra money and bought the Canon 5D MK III :naughty:

Can't wait for it to arrive now.

Saul

Are you unhappy with Sony bodies or lenses? The Sony A99 may be a more sensible bet if you have a large collection of Sony kit. It offers similar IQ to the D600 (same sensor) plus a few hardware/feature improvements?

If you really want to change, I suggest looking at lenses first, and deciding which lineup (Canon vs Nikon) best suits your needs. Both camps have some great lenses, but they are not always of the same length, range, or even price band. Good lenses will last through multiple bodies, so chose which ones you need and then buy the body to match.

All my lenses are DT lenses so it would act like a crop camera or vignette like mad if the camera doesnt recognise the lens is a DT. Yes i'd get better performance than my current camea but still in a crop setting with lower resolution images. Plus the price for just the A99 is more than what the cost of a 6D with a 24-70! Plus low light peformance, which im interested in doesnt cut it with SLT's.

Congratulation to saul01. Good choice and pretty sure you won't regret it. It's a big step from 5D1 to 5D3, I made the same step last year.

Congratulation to saul01. Good choice and pretty sure you won't regret it. It's a big step from 5D1 to 5D3, I made the same step last year.

Thank you, happy times ahead.:clap:

Back