Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II

Edit My Images
Yes
Is it me or has the price of the 70-200 F2.8 IS II been going up recently?

I've managed to squirrel away a few quid, certainly noting spectacular, and by trading a few lenses in and chucking a couple of more quid at it I'm almost in contention to buy one. This of course could be a massive eruption of suppressed GAS. The money is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm not sure how long I can hold out. This started by me reading about the 135L and has grown from there.

Define recent? Canon and Nikon both usually increase their prices for new financial year. Quite often see prices suppressed Nov-Jan then start to rise.

They also have cash back just now I think so could be like the supermarket offers- 'buy half price- cos we doubled it since last week'. Not that I'm cynical or anything:p

Probably over the last 6-8 months, so in line with what you are saying really.

Always liked images form my f4 non is version so interested to see if it lives up to the hype.

I replaced my 70 - 200 with the 135mm f2 200mm f2.8 and sigma 50mm ft. 4, mainly because I was fed up with the comments a white lens attracts. Have to say I'm glad I did.

Sorry can't answer your question and probably confused matters.

i also think lens prices have been going up... over the last year...

I replaced my 70 - 200 with the 135mm f2 200mm f2.8 and sigma 50mm ft. 4, mainly because I was fed up with the comments a white lens attracts. Have to say I'm glad I did.

Sorry can't answer your question and probably confused matters.

Very good point regarding how the white lenses stand out. Even with the f4 version I feel people staring a bit more when out walking round the local countryside.

I haven't noticed any increase in price as such but I certainly haven't seen them coming down in price. They are still holding a good price second hand as well. They are a decent price if you go for a grey import, as I did, and have had no problems with it so it may be worth going that route if you have limited funds.

They are a decent price if you go for a grey import, as I did, and have had no problems with it so it may be worth going that route if you have limited funds.

Of course you are no more likely to have a problem with a grey import than a non grey import as they will be identical lenses.

Last edited:
148A4121 by Niall Allen, on Flickr

I got one a few weeks ago. I've only had the chance to use it once, and it's HEAVY. My god it's heavy. I wasn't feeling too well when I was using it so I struggled a bit that day *cough* hungover *cough* but panning with IS on seemed to cause more problems than it solved. I was going to toddle around the fields near here today with it to do some better testing of it but in luck typical of my life recently, I smacked my wrist in work a couple of days ago and it's swollen now, so I'm waiting a bit!

The price seems to wander up and down a fair amount. It was definitely cheaper a few months ago when I didn't want it, but as soon as I decided it was going to be purchased I noticed it was a fair few quid more expensive.

Last edited:
148A4121 by Niall Allen, on Flickr

I got one a few weeks ago. I've only had the chance to use it once, and it's HEAVY. My god it's heavy. I wasn't feeling too well when I was using it so I struggled a bit that day *cough* hungover *cough* but panning with IS on seemed to cause more problems than it solved. I was going to toddle around the fields near here today with it to do some better testing of it but in luck typical of my life recently, I smacked my wrist in work a couple of days ago and it's swollen now, so I'm waiting a bit!

The price seems to wander up and down a fair amount. It was definitely cheaper a few months ago when I didn't want it, but as soon as I decided it was going to be purchased I noticed it was a fair few quid more expensive.

Did you change the I.S setting for vertical movement? I thought it worked well.

Did you change the I.S setting for vertical movement? I thought it worked well.

Yeah, I switched between the two settings. I think the main problem I had was the fact they were on a small oval track and were constantly switching lanes as a part of the training they were doing, making it very difficult to focus correctly. I had a bit more joy switching to shutter priority, and then focusing on a part of the track rather than the person. I'm very new to this panning lark, which is why I was there (my sister invited me along so I could test the lens) so a lot of learning is needed.

Don't forget there's £210 cashback on it until May 7th, so the cheapest UK retail price now after cashback is £1640 which is pretty good. Whilst you could save a little by going with a legal grey import, it's not worth it for a small saving IMHO.

Is it me or has the price of the 70-200 F2.8 IS II been going up recently?

I've managed to squirrel away a few quid, certainly noting spectacular, and by trading a few lenses in and chucking a couple of more quid at it I'm almost in contention to buy one. This of course could be a massive eruption of suppressed GAS. The money is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm not sure how long I can hold out. This started by me reading about the 135L and has grown from there.

Used prices have been pretty steady at £1200-1350

I wonder what would happen is everybody started commenting about 'Black' camera bodies..on a serious note, have had my 70~700 f2.8 for 7 months now, heavy it is, white it is is, but it's cracking. I do a lot of equine shows and it's excellent both indoor and outdoor, now looking for a fixed 400mm /500mm 'White' Canon to go with the 2 x converter. Paid £1899 and also recieved cashback.

Back