Canon 70D & Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone else use this combination?

I'm starting from scratch as I'm upgrading from an Olympus E510.

Now I've pretty much 99% made my mind up on the 70D as the video capabilities really float my boat. To be honest it was a toss up between that and the Nikon 7100, IMO the 70D pips the 7100 in the video department, hence wanting the 70D.

Now the bigger decision... I'm going to be stuck with 1 piece of glass for a while (unless I can convince SWMBO to let me get the cheap Canon 50mm)

HDEW (yes I now they're imports) do the Canon 70D & EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM or for a touch more from Jessops I could get it with a 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens.

I know glass seems to be the 'be all and end all'

So I really have 2 questions...

1. Is the L glass really that much better?

2. Which combination would you pick out of those two?

Thanks in advance,

HG

Last edited:
As you want a 70d then think crop factor a 24-105 will look like a 38 - 168, now a 17-70 will get you back the the range 24-105

38mm as a minimum is a bit long as a do everything lens. I would agree with the previous comment, what about a 17-70 or a 18-55 f/2.8?

Depends if you need the wide angle end. I use a 60d with sigma 17-50 f2.8 but find I use zoom end alot more then the wide. Kinda wish I went with the 24-105L now. Not saying the wide end isn't necessary but just depends what you are shooting and your shooting style at the end of the day.

38mm as a minimum is a bit long as a do everything lens. I would agree with the previous comment, what about a 17-70 or a 18-55 f/2.8?

Or a 15-85, which is a great lens and is the equivalent of 24-136.

The 15-85 is also a very highly rated lens even though slightly slower than the 2.8s but that's what you get for comprises with longer ranges. Again all depends what you are shooting really. Do you need a faster aperature for lower light? Or do you need the longer range? The sigma 17-70 has the wide angle and faster aperature with more range then the 17-50 but you will lose the higher aperture at the zoom end.

Everyone will recommend something that suits their shooting style so you need to think what you will be using it for, how long you would have to wait for another lens etc.

Are you set on a 70d? What about buying a used one? Then using the extra money for another lens. Worth looking on ebay, trade section on here etc, you can get mint condition lens/body for alot less then an new and then if you find you have made the wrong choice on a lens then atleast you can sell it on without as big a loss.

More info on what you plan on shooting will be a great help though

Thanks for all the replies and helpful information.

It's going to be typical 'family shots' wife, baby, dog etc...

Now I don't know what to do :(

If you are going to stay with a crop body for a while I would say get the 15-85 Efs lens.

I used one on my 7D and having switched to a 5D3 and a 24-105 I can now see how good it is.

It might be my 24-105 still needs a bit of tweaking but on first use it's disappointing me a bit compared to the 7D 15-85 combination

HTH

David

I bought a 15-85mm (on a 50D) ahead of our trip to Oz and NZ earlier this year and think it's an excellent lens. Fitted in well with the 10-20mm and 70-200mm too, covered a lot of ground. Would definitely recommend the 15-85mm..

If you are going to use the superb video features of the 70D then also look at the STM range of lenses, as these work so well with the focusing system, they are near silent and blisteringly fast. My 70-200 L series, and Sigma 10-20mm can't compete in use against my STM lenses for video. They may not match the L glass for ultimate quality, but they are far from shabby and would save a lot in the initial outlay... well worth a look if you want to do a lot of video.

That's a good point. The 18-135 isn't a bad lens, especially the stm version for your videos. Also cheaper then the other lenses mentioned. So could possibly get a zoom or prime aswell?

Most places will do it as a bundle with the 70d I believe

If you are going to use the superb video features of the 70D then also look at the STM range of lenses, as these work so well with the focusing system, they are near silent and blisteringly fast. My 70-200 L series, and Sigma 10-20mm can't compete in use against my STM lenses for video. They may not match the L glass for ultimate quality, but they are far from shabby and would save a lot in the initial outlay... well worth a look if you want to do a lot of video.

Brilliant, thanks for the advice :cool:

I have a 70d and one of the reasons for getting it is video capability, I have only dipped my toes into video but enough to decide a STM lens is the way to go, noise from anything else I have is clearly heard as it tracks focus unless there is a lot of noise around but even then it can be heard.
For what I would use it for the 18-135 is stm is going to be my next purchase

Either I'm drunk or it's just come down £150 on HDEW since this morning :confused:

The price seems very low at the moment... I paid around £900 a few months back, and then it went up to well over a grand a week later. £805 with the 18-135mm seems an utter bargain :cool:

Edit: to add I have the 18-135mm and 55-250 STM lenses, and love them as much as my L 70-200.

Last edited:
Atleast the 18-135 would give you decent video (without focusing noise), fairly good range (28-216 if my maths is right?) And fairly good IQ. Then like I say you can get that with the 50mm for less then £1000 on DR and you have a good little prime. Too many choices isn't there?

Atleast the 18-135 would give you decent video (without focusing noise), fairly good range (28-216 if my maths is right?) And fairly good IQ. Then like I say you can get that with the 50mm for less then £1000 on DR and you have a good little prime. Too many choices isn't there?

Yup, far too many :runaway:

I have a 70D and of my various lenses the 15-85 is my most preferred and used. The ISO capability of the 70D is good so I don't miss the 2.8 aperture too much.

Cracking image quality and I use it comfortably from family shots to landscapes.

I got a 24-70 2.8 along with my 7D and used that combo most of the time. I did always wish that it was wider though.

From looking at what's available just now I do like that 70D with 18-135 STM lens from hdew.

I have a 70d with a 24-105. I bought it using bank transfer from panamoz. They were the cheapest around at the time. I bought it specifically for a holiday and for some wildlife type shots. Periodically I think the 24 isn't wide enough, but I think anything less than 105 wouldn't be long enough.

Reactions: RKC
I've had the 24-105 on crop cameras and found the focal length to be ok, but once you experience a wider lens you get to realise its a bit too long for confined work (indoors mostly).
I had the 15-85 and found it to be much better, it's a really nice lens and I had no complaints. This replaced a much loved 17-55 f/2.8 and it's smaller, lighter, IS is almost silent and the range is better.

A friend recently got a 18-135STM and that lens seems just perfect on a crop. It seems just as sharp, better range, AF is very good, it's designed for video with the newer cameras and it's cheaper.

My opinion is don't waste money on the 24-105 yet, it's IS is very noisy and not good for video (IME of course)

I'd get the 18-135 STM (definitely not the USM version) and maybe the 50mm f1.8 or even pancake lens Both very cheap. The Pancake is also very good, although not that fast.

When I was looking for my 60d I checked reviews on slrhut, none gave me confidence to use them.. items not arriving etc.. The risks you take to get good prices like that unfortunately. Could work out but I wouldn't use them personally

If it's for family stuff then I'd get the 18-135mm STM. I have that and a Canon 17-55 2.8 and the focusing noise on video is really annoying, so I try to use the 18-135 when in video mode or I turn the AF off on the lens and manually focus when I don't have time to change lenses.

When looking back through old family photos and videos, it's the videos that let you relive the moment and have the biggest emotional impact. You want to make sure you have a good wide angle on your lens so you don't miss anything, so I would get something that starts around 18mm rather than the 24-105.

I found IS noise on the 17-55 is very loud, and was one of the things that convinced me to get rid of it. The newer lenses are much quieter.
For video I found the 15-85 to be almost perfect on my 60D.
Another reason to go wider is if you are handholding for video then there is going to be les noticeable camera shake at the wider focal lengths.

Hi mate,

I have that very 24-105 L lens. It's a fantastic around great piece of glass. My avatar was taken on my 6D with it.
Can't fault it, even use it on my 50D and 600D if I'm shooting 2 cameras.

You won't go far wrong
Cheers
Dave

If it's for family stuff then I'd get the 18-135mm STM. I have that and a Canon 17-55 2.8 and the focusing noise on video is really annoying, so I try to use the 18-135 when in video mode or I turn the AF off on the lens and manually focus when I don't have time to change lenses.

When looking back through old family photos and videos, it's the videos that let you relive the moment and have the biggest emotional impact. You want to make sure you have a good wide angle on your lens so you don't miss anything, so I would get something that starts around 18mm rather than the 24-105.
You can cancel out the focus / IS noise just by getting a decent mic.

My thought process at the moment is to get the 70D with the 18-55 STM kit lens as it's only £60 more than just the body, but also buying the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM. For the extra £60 I'll have a lens for filming and anything where I need a wider angle.

I have the 70D with the 18-135 STM lens. Bought it in May and so far been very happy with this combo, I havent tried the video yet as it's not something i'm into. Don't forget the Canon cashback of £100 on the 70D.

Are you sure I wouldn't hear the autofocus with that sat on the top of my camera?
Yep. Turn the in camera gain down, and the external mic gain up. Or use manual focus?

My issue was the IS noise, but my mic filters that out ok? You can always try a cheaper mic to experiment on, but those Rode mics are very good, so if video is your thing it's a must really.

Just thought I'd better update this thread so you all know the direction I took...

I walked out of Jessops yesterday with a 70D, EFS 18-135 and a 50mm 1.8 II.

Sooooooo much to learn, the menu's are a little confusing at the moment, but I'm getting there :D

T'was a big investment (for us) and I'm determined to make the most of it :cool:

Back