Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

I updated to 1.0.5 last night, shot ~350 frames today no issues.

AF on the 17-55mm f2.8 does seem much better in terms of accuracy and consistency. I'm happy.

Every time Canon release a new firmware for any of their cameras some people insist that the AF has improved. Can I just ask why you think thta Canon doesn't mention this inconsequential fact?

If canon said the firmware improved the AF, that would imply that the AF was poor beforehand

If canon said the firmware improved the AF, that would imply that the AF was poor beforehand

Not necessarily. Improved could mean making something that was already good even better, although usually firmware upgrades from any manufacturer are designed to rectify users issues

When Canon released this firmware it was expressly to fix AF issues with two specific lenses (and other bugs). They are not hiding anything.

When Canon released this firmware it was expressly to fix AF issues with two specific lenses (and other bugs). They are not hiding anything.

Even the technicians at Elstree don't know what all is in the updates, but, what the heck, if it improves things who cares?

Firmware update done this evening.

Camera is fine, will be interesting to have a play.....

just ordered one from HDEW £900 with post just lets hope the iso is a lot better than the 7d

Well I've sold mine. Kept leaving it in the bag and that's not what I bought it for. So I guess the hunt is on for a replacement.

Well I've sold mine. Kept leaving it in the bag and that's not what I bought it for. So I guess the hunt is on for a replacement.

Sadly, Gary, I don't want to put a damper on anyone, but I've done the same and got a 1 D4 as a backup now for the 1 Dx which I'd hoped the 7D2 would be...I'm sure there are some great bodies out there and people are posting some great shots, but I just wasn't getting them even with the replacement body....great pity.

Let's hope Paul gets a good one!!

There was nothing wrong with mine George as far as AF went. It seemed accurate whenever I tested it and consistently so. It always fell short of my1DX and that's my yardstick, three times the price or not. I guess I was guilty of believing ALL the hype before I bought it. It was really down to just not giving me what I wanted from a back up camera. Strange when I had crop cameras I thought they were great. After using FF for a while now the shortcomings of the crop sensor stand out for me. I got some very nice images from mine and have seen plenty more from others. So I guess it's probably either another 1DX a 5D3 or 5DS for me. Going to wait a bit. Don't really need a back up body over the winter as I won't be going anywhere special.

Yup, Gary, that's the problem, once you've had a 1 Dx you are spoilt....problem with the 5D3 is I can't get exposure comp in manual with auto iso, don't ask me why not!!..I'm sure a firmware update would sort it!!

I've been lucky to borrow on a long term basis a 1 D4 so I await the next big FF with interest...

Mine's departed too....always fourth in the queue for an outing. I've gone backwards 5 years to a 1DMkIV for a bit of crop to mix up the lenses.

Bob

Hi new to this forum…. shot taken by my 16yr old son with 7DmK2 with 300 2.8 +1.4

He's happy with the focus seems pretty good compared to my old 1DMk2n that he's used for a while.

Re-bought may confirm my suspicions. May I ask why exactly? Any points you do miss having done so Bob?

The 7D2 is a very capable camera for the price and can produce decent results but mine just didn't give the focus tracking consistency that I'm used to with the 1Dx's and 5D3 (and my previously owned 1D4's). In one shot it'd nail focus all day long but that's not how I wanted to use it.

Bob

Last edited:
The 7D2 is a very capable camera for the price and can produce decent results but mine just didn't give the focus tracking consistency that I'm used to with the 1Dx's and 5D3 (and my previously owned 1D4's). In one shot it'd nail focus all day long but that's not how I wanted to use it.

Bob

I've read so much on the same issue. Mind made up then it's the second hand market for a 1dmk4. Thanks for the feedback Bob, appreciate it.

Bob
Me too,.....

Hi new to this forum…. shot taken by my 16yr old son with 7DmK2 with 300 2.8 +1.4

He's happy with the focus seems pretty good compared to my old 1DMk2n that he's used for a while.

Great capture! Looking forward to shooting some bikes and cars with my 7D2.

Why do people want to compare a 7d2 to a 1d, it is not a 1d upgrade. It's a 7d upgrade and should l d be taken in that context. It is a very good upgrade and a very go poo d camera

Well Said (y) Many people compare the camera to the 1D series just goes to show how good the camera is specially when you reflect at the price/value for money factor.

Why do people want to compare a 7d2 to a 1d, it is not a 1d upgrade. It's a 7d upgrade and should l d be taken in that context. It is a very good upgrade and a very good camera

The question was "which should I buy and why".......which inevitably asks for a comparison. Our comments I hope give the pros and cons of each, and let the poster choose for himself. It's always a difficult one and should be approached as dispassionately as possible,.....and it's not straight forward. Having used both, we're just giving our thoughts, others may feel differently!!

Why do people want to compare a 7d2 to a 1d, it is not a 1d upgrade. It's a 7d upgrade and should l d be taken in that context. It is a very good upgrade and a very good camera

Its a crop camera. That's its link to the 7D. In all other aspects it is more closely linked with the 5D3 and 1DX. In fact reviewers seemed to want to compare it with the dearer cameras and Canon were quite happy to allow the comparisons.

It's got a lot going for it but it doesn't tick all the boxes for everyone and that's why some of us have sold and moved to something that we know will give us what we are after.

You can't just have the goody goody comments in threads because the camera satisfies a lot of people's needs. Prospective buyers have to weigh all the comments and make their own choice. It's only right that they get that info to make the best decision for them.

If I could have got to use one before I bought mine then I would never have sold my 5D3. Expensive mistake but hey ho that's life.

Last edited:
Just had a quick read on the last few posts, I am currently deciding what to do with my camera. Currently use a 70d which has had focus issues despite being supposedly fixed by canon and I have had 2 like this.

Thinking of a 7d2 and wondering if I should choose this route or not. I don't want my run of misfortune to continue lol

Back