Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Centre point only when using F8 AF

....When I rarely mount my Canon 1.4x on my 400mm F/5.6 L + 7D2, I get F/8 AF but the centre 5 pts. So are you saying that the 100-400mm only offers 1 AF pt?

....When I rarely mount my Canon 1.4x on my 400mm F/5.6 L + 7D2, I get F/8 AF but the centre 5 pts. So are you saying that the 100-400mm only offers 1 AF pt?
It's classified as a "Group G" setup so it should work the same, Robin, as long as you have AF point expansion enabled.

Bob

Showing my ignorance Bob, can you explain about the groups please.
Canon allocate lenses and lens/converter combinations to "Groups" so that it can be quickly identified whether the setup will work on various bodies in various modes.

Eg....a body's spec could well detail which groups will autofocus with all AF points as opposed other groups which are restricted to a smaller number of AF points.

Bob

Canon allocate lenses and lens/converter combinations to "Groups" so that it can be quickly identified whether the setup will work on various bodies in various modes.

Eg....a body's spec could well detail which groups will autofocus with all AF points as opposed other groups which are restricted to a smaller number of AF points.

Bob
Thanks Bob, that makes sense now (y)

Might vary between lens/tc combos I guess but mine was with my 200-400mm and both the builtin TC and a 1.4 mk3 TC. Tbh I've only used it a few times and I remember not being able to switch to a different single point but maybe there's an option to have a few more points around the centre one? I'll have to test the next time I the kit out :)

I have just discovered that whereas mounting a Canon 1.4x III Extender to group lenses such as the 400mm F/5.6 L and the 100-400mm L Mk2, doesn't allow AF pts on the 7D2 beyond the central 5 pts, if you mount a Kenko DGX Pro300 1.4x it does allow your selection of ALL the AF pt options on the 7D2.

I have both Canon and Kenko 1.4x extenders because the Kenko fits my Canon 100mm F/2.8 L IS Macro lens but the Canon 1.4x III doesn't physically fit. I thought I would try the Kenko on my 400mm to see what happened. The Kenko is also lighter weight and a better balance when handheld. It probably doesn't have the same extent of weatherproofing but that is easily solved simply by not using it in such extreme conditions.

This info might be useful to someone?

It's classified as a "Group G" setup so it should work the same, Robin, as long as you have AF point expansion enabled.
Bob

....I have all the AF area options ticked to be able to lever scroll through and select with my thumb.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the results will be equal between the different flavoured converters Robin.!

....Possibly but I am trying it out. I certainly am not that impressed with the Canon 1.4x III on my Canon 400mm F/5.6 L (on 7D2). I only tend to add a 1.4x when the subject is at considerable distance as that is I think what it's designed for. Quality of light, ISO, and amount of cropping/enlargement, are all factors which influence image quality regardless of which extender is mounted. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so we'll see.

Robin 400 on a cropper yields you more reach than my 600 on my ff, I know it's nice to fill the frame with a bird on a stick or whatever takes your fancy, but how about thinking more about the image and consider making it more scenic.. That's what I have been concentrating on since going ff, and now I don't crop at all. Just a thought, maybe it could help.?

Robin 400 on a cropper yields you more reach than my 600 on my ff, I know it's nice to fill the frame with a bird on a stick or whatever takes your fancy, but how about thinking more about the image and consider making it more scenic.. That's what I have been concentrating on since going ff, and now I don't crop at all. Just a thought, maybe it could help.?

....I agree and I actually prefer to create images which at least show a bird in its environment although I'm not anti pristine 'bird-on-stick' images. I like to do a bit of both but usually with wildlife they don't do what you would like them to do and so you just capture what you can at the time.

My images on Flickr show my typical final images: https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/

....I agree and I actually prefer to create images which at least show a bird in its environment although I'm not anti pristine 'bird-on-stick' images. I like to do a bit of both but usually with wildlife they don't do what you would like them to do and so you just capture what you can at the time.

My images on Flickr show my typical final images: https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/
You have the equivalent of 896mm on the end of your 7D2! With no IS! Sounds like a lot of pain to me? Do you use a monopod at all!?
Regards Steve
Like your Egret shot..

Last edited:
You have the equivalent of 896mm on the end of your 7D2! With no IS! Sounds like a lot of pain to me? Do you use a monopod at all!?
Regards Steve
Like your Egret shot..

....Yes, I often use a monopod.

A Canon 100-400mm Mk2 is being delivered to me tomorrow, so it'll be good to see if the IS works as well as it is claimed.

The Little Egret shot was done on a monopod and with the 1.4x Extender on the 400mm.

As you know redrobin i have just took delivery of the 100-400 usmII Just put on my kenko 1.4x pro 300 on my 7d2 and unfortunately the camera does not like it and throws up an error (n)
Does anyone know if any other 3rd party converters will work ??

As you know redrobin i have just took delivery of the 100-400 usmII Just put on my kenko 1.4x pro 300 on my 7d2 and unfortunately the camera does not like it and throws up an error (n)
Does anyone know if any other 3rd party converters will work ??

....My 100-400mm Mk2 has arrived today and I have a Kenko 1.4x DGX Pro300 extender (for my Canon 100mm F/2.8 L IS Macro lens occasionally) and I also have the Canon 1.4x III Extender but haven't tried either of them on the new lens yet.

What is the error? Or is it just an advisory message?

it comes up with....." Stop being a tight arse and buy the proper canon extender" :mad:

it comes up with....." Stop being a tight arse and buy the proper canon extender" :mad:

ROFL.gif

I literally laughed out loud when I read that, Steve!

But seriously, what error does it throw up, please? [Note that I am being a wuss by not trying it out myself]

err 01 communication between the camera and lens faulty. clean the lens contacts

err 01 communication between the camera and lens faulty. clean the lens contacts

....So Miss Canon is calling Miss Kenko a dirty slut! :D

For what it's worth, when I use the Kenko 1.4x on my Canon 400mm F/5.6 L prime they hold hands willingly (must be lesbians?) and Miss Canon Seven Heaven 7D2 even goes as far as allowing enough contacts to touch so that all the AF pt options are available.

I suspect that it might have something to do with the 100-400mm being a zoom lens in which the widest aperture very happily slides as the focal length increases. [Note that I resisted adding sexual innuendo on this last sentence]

....So Miss Canon is calling Miss Kenko a dirty slut! :D

For what it's worth, when I use the Kenko 1.4x on my Canon 400mm F/5.6 L prime they hold hands willingly (must be lesbians?) and Miss Canon Seven Heaven 7D2 even goes as far as allowing enough contacts to touch so that all the AF pt options are available.

I suspect that it might have something to do with the 100-400mm being a zoom lens in which the widest aperture very happily slides as the focal length increases. [Note that I resisted adding sexual innuendo on this last sentence]

Nice take on it mate lol

The convertor works on my 7d2 with my other lenses so i would think its the 100-400 usmII

The convertor works on my 7d2 with my other lenses so i would think its the 100-400 usmII

....As you have already been there and done that, I'm not going to bother trying to introduce Miss Kenko. Afterall, there's no point upsetting Miss Canon 100-400 so early in our relationship. :D

I want to get to know the 100-400mm Mk2 + 7D2 combo a bit before trying out the Canon 1.4x III extender. One step at a time.

Extender will work fine, Robin.

....Yes, I know it will (assuming you are talking about the Canon 1.4x III). I'm only saying that I want to learn the lens without an extender to begin with. Unless of course a shot comes up which begs for it and if it's also in my pocket. I want to see what image quality differences might be when an extender is added but first I need images to compare it with.

Last edited:
hi everyone im thinking of getting the 7dmk2 and id like to know which memory cards are your all using and whats the battery life like . thanks in advance

Finally caved and got one ordered after my 7d struggled in some woods shooting firecrest. Hope it's here for the weekend. Any bird photographers with mk ii 's what focus option are you using?

Finally caved and got one ordered after my 7d struggled in some woods shooting firecrest. Hope it's here for the weekend. Any bird photographers with mk ii 's what focus option are you using?

At the risk of stating the obvious here. It depends on what you're shooting, BIF or Static? Some of the AF cases are not available with certain AF point selections.

The MkII allows you set the camera up in several different ways. For example I, like many others use BBF and have the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons set up with two different AF cases and two different AF selections and I just switch from one to the other as circumstances dictate. But others will have completely different set ups.

There isn't a right and wrong way or a particular AF case and point selection for a given scenario. Some people can track really well with single point, others, including me, can't so use an expanded AF point selection to help them.

Yeah it will be both. On my mki my standard av setup was for static and I had custom 3 setup for bif. I'll be doing the same again if the mkii has custom setups you can have on the turn wheel.
From what you are saying am I right in thinking I can have my back button af using single point and static bird af case but the ae lock using all points with a bif style af case? That would be extremely handy if that's the case.

Yes you can set those buttons up that way. Or any other combination of AF cases, one shot or servo, AF points or zones. I find it very useful as it allows me to change without taking the camers from my eye. Didn't find any real issue with using two buttons instead of one. You soon get the hang of it.

3 things ive learnt from my first day with my 7d mkii
1. It is an unbelievably good camera. The new features (from a 7d) are exactly what I can put to use in bird photography. In only 30 minutes this morning i have gotten my best ever in flight Kittiwake shot, better than the last 12 years of photography! The af feature Gaz said about is so brilliant and useful its just amazing.
2. The battery is rubbish. Need to buy spares
3. I need to upgrade my CF card. After after 5 shots my card was buffering and its not exactly a slow card.

Glad you are pleased, Peat, mine's being replaced next week as I'm just not satisfied with it's af performance, especially in low light and it seems that some of the early bodies (I got mine the first day) suffer some problems with af.
Next time I'm going to wait for a few months for a newly released body, although that wasn't possible in this case.

Looking forward to the change!!

Glad you are pleased, Peat, mine's being replaced next week as I'm just not satisfied with it's af performance, especially in low light and it seems that some of the early bodies (I got mine the first day) suffer some problems with af.
Next time I'm going to wait for a few months for a newly released body, although that wasn't possible in this case.

Looking forward to the change!!
Got my new one this week, I sent the first one back for a refund early in January, it was useless on AF. I was worried in case it was me not using the camera correctly, and on one shoot out of 368 shots, 3 were acceptably in focus, a desperately dismal rate. I did try a controlled series of shots and that confirmed that the camera was giving very inconsistent results.
I waited about 6 weeks before ordering a replacement in case it was a faulty batch. I ran off about a 100 bird shots on Wednesday, but due to the poor weather I didn't stay out long, and I can honestly say that it didn't miss a beat, even it poor light.
I now need to learn the camera but so far I am very pleased indeed.

First bird I took a shot of with my 7d mkii. Very handy Shag standing still so I could sort my MA and bits and bobs on him.
I never used Auto ISO on my 7d but I think I will be using it all the time now on my 7dmk ii. It was so useful today.
This is at ISO 5000 (and ran through noise reduction in Photoshop CC). It blows my tiny mind that I can get decent enough (for me) end results at that level ISO.
Lens was a 500mm f4 mk I + 1.4 TC

rcqRnhq.jpg

What cf cards are people using with their 7d mkii's? I am a bit out of the loop as my 16gb cf card has done me fine since I got a 7d on launch, now it seems its a bit out of date.

Here's a comparison of different cards (in a 7D2) I posted in another thread, although limited to the ones I had, it gives you some idea.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-26%20at%207.04.07%20pm.jpg

Back