Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Are you using single point AF for BIF a or do you expand the array Joe

Use 9 point mate, the main point with a few around it incase of unpredictable movement it gives me a little bit of time to adjust.

Will be doing a 7D Mark II review for action photography & wildlife soon if anyone is interested and will be comparisons to the full frame cheaper 6D & compared to the more expensive 1Dx and will be giving AF guides and setup advice.

Joe

Last edited:
I have been tending to use 5 point expanded and one go with large zone with Case 6.

I agree with you that the 1DX has the edge on it in AF, which you would expect really but the MkII has some nice touches such as the ability to have different focus set ups on the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons which I use a lot. Wish the 1DX had that.

Biggest issue for me is ultimate image quality. Both myself and a mate are thinking about selling it and going back to a 5D3 or another 1DX

I pretty much use it in good light only and that seems to be its forte.

Cheers

Not happy with the camera at the moment was in the process of trying different set ups, when the camera went err 20. Only got to around 400 shots on the camera and the mirror box has locked up. So waiting for it to come back from Canon.
Had the focus issues which looked to have been solved by the firmware up date. Here's hoping that it comes back better than it was, if not replaced.

I have been tending to use 5 point expanded and one go with large zone with Case 6.

I agree with you that the 1DX has the edge on it in AF, which you would expect really but the MkII has some nice touches such as the ability to have different focus set ups on the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons which I use a lot. Wish the 1DX had that.

Biggest issue for me is ultimate image quality. Both myself and a mate are thinking about selling it and going back to a 5D3 or another 1DX

I pretty much use it in good light only and that seems to be its forte.

Cheers

I agree with you, really the 7D Mark II & 1Dx have there own good AF points in each way, considering also the price of the 7D Mark II the AF is superb value for money. I agree with you regarding the light, it really does seem like a camera for only good weather with the ISO which I always stay way below 800. I found with some golden light the results can be excellent with the camera, this is a shot at ISO 100 the other day, when shooting in good light the extra few million pixels over the 1Dx do show.

If I was you I would keep the 7D Mark II for good light camera and use it along side a 1Dx which I tend to do,(I must admit I tend to only shoot in nice light and with the extra reach I'm more and more leaning towards the 7D Mark II when I go out in the field) it then gives you versatility of a cropped body giving you more reach at certain times, along with the fast continues shooting and AF better than the 5D3.

7D Mark II & 500mm f/4
f/5.6 - 1/1250 - ISO 100
Taken at sunrise.

p1214921410-3.jpg

I use mine more as a walk about camera with a 100-400 MkII on it. Pretty lightweight set up. I will probably stick with it for a while. The 1DX comes out when the light isn't so good and I use a 1.4 on the 500 or when I want to be absolutely sure of nailing the shot. I've found that the biggest difference between the two bodies is the 1DX gets into focus faster on something that appears suddenly in the AF array.

Are you sure it doesn't?

Positive. It has a version of it but you don't get all the settings. You can choose the AF case and whether it's AI SERVO or ONE SHOT but you can't have individual focus arrays on each button.

I've got the C1 C2 C3 settings set up for individual focus cases and arrays and then put these on the M-Fn button where you can cycle through them.

I don't have the latest firmware in my 1DX but I can see nothing in it that refers to these settings.

Battery life seems poor on mine,nowhere near the 7d,put in a third party one that has worked fine on the original and get message can't communicate with battery pack.Or words similar any one else had this ?.

Positive. It has a version of it but you don't get all the settings. You can choose the AF case and whether it's AI SERVO or ONE SHOT but you can't have individual focus arrays on each button.

I've got the C1 C2 C3 settings set up for individual focus cases and arrays and then put these on the M-Fn button where you can cycle through them.

I don't have the latest firmware in my 1DX but I can see nothing in it that refers to these settings.

On my cameras the AE-lock and AF-On buttons have similar options in the customisation menu (apart from the 1DX has the 14fps option and the 7DII as AF-Off instead). In fact the 1Dx is better in that not only can I assign different AF parameters but I can also change shooting mode (for example if in TV mode I can set it to go to AV mode at a set value when the AF-On button is pressed and then back to previous TV mode settings when released).

I believe it was firmware version 2.0.3 that added it.

Would rather lose the 14 frame option and have the AF array option instead. still found a work around that works for me now so don't lose much time in changing over.

The other way of registering settings just seems over complicated

Last edited:
What AF array option is it? I've looked in my 7DII custom controls menu and I can only see the 'register/recall shooting function' and 'one shot to AI servo' options for the AF-on and AE lock buttons, what am I missing?

Go into custom controls and select either the AF ON or AE LOCK button and set either to METERING AND AF START. The page will then default to the CUSTOM CONTROLS PAGE again. Select either button again and when the page comes up with all the options for that button press INFO. You get a new page that allows you to choose AF start position, the AF CASE, AI SERVO or ONE SHOT and which AF AREA you want to use.

Last edited:
Go into custom controls and select either the AF ON or AE LOCK button and set either to METERING AND AF START. The page will then default to the CUSTOM CONTROLS PAGE again. Select either button again and when the page comes up with all the options for that button press INFO. You get a new page that allows you to choose AF start position, the AF CASE, AI SERVO or ONE SHOT and which AF AREA you want to use.

Nice (y). Cheers for that, I had no idea.

Battery life seems poor on mine,nowhere near the 7d,put in a third party one that has worked fine on the original and get message can't communicate with battery pack.Or words similar any one else had this ?.

Following on from this after I removed the third party battery and inserted into the charger all it does it flash orange constantly, and won't charge.It was showing full green bars recharge performance in both the 7d and 60d so not sure what's happened.

will you get the cashback?....they have to be a Canon approved UK dealer AFAIK.......? and it's only if you buy certain lenses I think.

Camera now advertised via your link at £1429.

Yes, at the time of posting it was 1299, its now gone up. They advertise the cashback on the page.

Will be doing a 7D Mark II review for action photography & wildlife soon if anyone is interested and will be comparisons to the full frame cheaper 6D & compared to the more expensive 1Dx and will be giving AF guides and setup advice.

Joe

Battle of the Canons : Canon 7D Mark II, 6D, 1Dx
Regarding lots of interest I have had regarding the comparisons of the 6D, 7D Mark II & 1Dx I will be posting the review and video review live to view that is scheduled to be live on the 15th July After I have been able to test all three cameras out in the field for a month photographing waders, shooting in deserts and many other challenging environments & subjects including Eleonora's Falcons and many other species of wildlife that will put the cameras to their peak. Thank you again everyone for the interest, I will be posting here the video and written review in the near future when released.

Thanks again for your support :)

Joe

Last edited:
I had an afternoon photographing dog racing on Sunday. I took my 1DX and 7D MkII and used them both with the 100-400 MkII. I set both cameras up with the same AF case (4) but set the MkII on Zone AF (12 points) and the 1DX on 9 point expanded.

Must admit I was disappointed with the results from the MkII. It never even came close to the 1DX on this occasion. I was surprised how much difference there was with just the extra AF points active.

I didn't have time to try the MKII on 9 point to see if it was better as I was trying to get shots for people's dogs running and didnt want to risk missing more.

I have a theory that the AF points on the MkII are bigger than the 1DX but I'm finding it difficult to prove categorically. Its just a feeling that I have from using both of them.

It's great having all these different AF cases but a bit of a chew trying to come up with the right settings for everything.

Last edited:
I had an afternoon photographing dog racing on Sunday. I took my 1DX and 7D MkII and used them both with the 100-400 MkII. I set both cameras up with the same AF case (4) but set the MkII on Zone AF (12 points) and the 1DX on 9 point expanded.

Must admit I was disappointed with the results from the MkII. It never even came close to the 1DX on this occasion. I was surprised how much difference there was with just the extra 3 AF points active.

I think that has more to do with the different AF modes rather than differences between cameras. Expanded mode is putting assist points around a main focus point which has majority/sole priority. Zone mode gives each point equal priority and has to figure out what you're trying to focus on, it's almost like being a giant single AF point that will focus somewhere within the outer box.

I hardly ever use Zone AF as I too find it inaccurate compared to single point or expanded.

I think you might be right. I will give it another go sometime but might do what you do and just use the 5 or 9 point.

Unfortunately I am running out of patience with the MkII. Sometimes I think that I've got a handle on it and then other times I just think its pretty poor.

If I get rid of it then it will be the last time I buy a crop sensor camera and I will get another 1DX. The 1DX files will take a crop pretty well and a 1.4 on my 500 generally gets me close enough.

Will persevere for a bit. Got a couple of nights on Skomer Island off the Pembrokeshire coast later this month so that will really be the MkII's last chance.

Keep the 7D Mark II in 5 or 9 point AF mode and you can't go wrong with it, equally as fast as the 1Dx, admittedly the 1Dx does just get the focus a little bit faster but not by much at all. I have found all the default cases are not as good unless you customise them, I will be talking more about this with a setup guide in my review coming soon.

Im sure that you're right Joe. The last time I compared the two with exactly the same settings the MkII was pretty good. That was on a rally and it had a pretty good hit rate. I think for me, after having used FF for a while now and got used to ramping up the ISO without really worrying about loss of quality, I'm struggling with the lower image quality from the MkII.

I'm not alone in this. A mate feels exactly the same about his compared to his 1DX and another would choose the 5D3 over the MkII if pushed to make a choice.

We will see what the next outing brings.

I know that the price differential keeps coming up between the 2 cameras as a reason for the 1DX being better but at the moment, to me, the 1DX justifies its price.

Last edited:
I know that the price differential keeps coming up between the 2 cameras as a reason for the 1DX being better but at the moment, to me, the 1DX justifies its price.
To be realistic, the price difference is pretty massive!
Disregarding the grey market for now, the current prices on Camera Price Buster are: EOS1DX = £4449, EOS7DMk2 = £1428.
That's a difference of £3021 !! .... you would expect the 1DX to be a little bit better surely?
Until I win the lottery I'll happily stick with my 7DMk2. :)

That's a difference of £3021 !! .... you would expect the 1DX to be a little bit better surely?
£3K is the difference between "will do it" and "might do it" or, in more challenging circumstances, "can do it" and "can't do it". You can apply the same judgement to cars, phones, horses and almost any other facet of life and just make an adjustment to the price differential.

Bob

Fair comment Bob. We all spend our money differently I suppose. It depends on your overall photographic budget and where your priorities lie.

To be realistic, the price difference is pretty massive!
Disregarding the grey market for now, the current prices on Camera Price Buster are: EOS1DX = £4449, EOS7DMk2 = £1428.
Until I win the lottery I'll happily stick with my 7DMk2. :)

Yes its a big difference and I would love to be able to say that I can rely on the MkII to get the shot but at the moment I just cant. I can with the 1DX. I've had some nice stuff with the MkII but I've not had anything that i would consider good in challenging circumstances or low light and I have not seen much either.

I will keep plugging away with it and hopefully it will start to come together. Maybe its me and I just havent found the right combination of settings yet but its not for lack of trying.

I accept that if I didnt have the other camera I would probably think that the results were just fine. But I do and I dont

As an example of what is so good about the 1DX this was a grab shot. I had been photographing a different dog and just saw this coming and had maybe 1/2 a second to get something. 4 out of the 5 images were sharp. This is the sort of performance , or close to it, that I am expecting from the MkII.

Dog-2

Dog-1

Anyway onwards and upward. Roll on Skomer.

I accept that if I didnt have the other camera I would probably think that the results were just fine. But I do and I dont

I think that this is the key point, Gaz. It seems that the folk who are experiencing what they consider to be 'below par performance' are the ones who have a 1Dx and/or 5D3 for comparison. Lagging behind in noise levels, overall image quality, build quality and alike are all tolerable and expected given the price and sensor size but we clearly expect the focusing and tracking to be up there and to be comparable.

Bob

I note toggerman's comment about zone AF but last weekend I found exactly the opposite….

Here is my scenario and looking for feedback/suggestions:

I have done quite a few airshows before, but last weekend was my first with the 7D Mark 2 and 100-400 Mk2. Had prepped with birds at the local lake to get used to the new body & lens, sorting out AF cases and refreshing my panning technique.

Taking out those shots with motion blur or heat haze distortion; what was in focus was rivet-counting sharp, but a lot were just a bit mushy, even at shutter speeds that where blur should rarely be an issue. 1st/2nd image all set to focus priority. I usually use single-AF with expansion. I tried different settings during the day including: AF points, bump focus, even reducing fps. Did not play around much with AF cases though.

What really surprised me was Zone-AF with iTR (since its not just for faces and brings in data from the RGB metering sensor). My hit rate of tack sharp shots went up to ~75%, even during the same display.

Still lots to assess why the other AF modes didn't work very well but now I know just how sharp the images from this camera can be.

Technique can always be improved but am not an airshow newbie. Here are a couple of examples where I can explain each one individually but not work out the overall pattern.

Helicopter in hover so not a huge risk for motion blur.
View attachment 39207
Focus point is on the cabin but the DOF (it was an unplanned grab shot) shows area ion focus is clearly towards the tail rotor. This suggests lens is back focussing massively. Based upon Reikan Focal, the lens is MFA'd to -2 at Wide angle. A few test shots early in the day did not indicate a 'local' change was needed.
50% crop unprocessed
Shutter: 1/125
Aperture: f8
Focal length: 100mm
Focus point: Single with expansion
Mode: AI Servo. Lens IS mode 2
I was wondering if rotational axis/parallax may be an issue but it was turning so slowly I ruled that out; besides the rotational axis would be further forward than the area of focus.

Next shot - all in focus - still 100mm
View attachment 39208

50% crop unprocessed
Shutter: 1/160
Focal length: 100mm
So… not back focussing after all.

Air shot: tack sharp. All of it. - can even see the vortex off the right wing
View attachment 39210
50% crop unprocessed
Shutter: 1/2000
Focal length: 400mm

Air shot: mushy. This is the following shot in the continuous burst sequence.
View attachment 39211
50% crop unprocessed
Shutter: 1/2000
Aperture: f10

and now for Zone AF with iTR:
View attachment 39213

50% crop unprocessed
Shutter: 1/800
Aperture: f5.6
Focus point: Zone AF with iTR

Firmware 1.0.4. Yes I did do the battery out thing after the firmware update.

Here are the things I am trying to work out:
  • Why the huge back focus on the helicopter?
  • Some tack sharp shots at 1/250 f/7.1 and 400mm
  • lots of mushy ones at 1/1000+ or 1/2000+ f8 and 400mm
  • Reikan Focal gave consistent MFA results and a few local test shots at the start of the day seemed to confirm MFA settings.
  • Technique is always a factor but just seems too much inconsistency.
So far am loving Zone AF with iTR but at a loss with the poor performance of the staple that is Single point with expansion.

Keen for suggestions/advice.

John.

Gaz - brilliant dog shots you have there!

Thanks John.

I know I come across as being pretty critical of the MKII. I just tell it how I see it. Its not a poor camera and I have good shots with it and will get more. Others will have other opinions, equally if not more valid than mine. Im just an average amateur photographer who is trying to get better. I will be having another crack with it end of this month beginning of July and we will see what comes out of it.

Joe

....Please post a link to your review here when posted, Joe :)

^ PLEASE IGNORE - I HAVE NOW SEEN YOUR LATER POST

Last edited:
So far am loving Zone AF with iTR but at a loss with the poor performance of the staple that is Single point with expansion.

....I'm probably being thick but what is "iTR" please?

iTR is EOS intelligent Tracking and Recognition. A tick box in the AF menu.

p128 in the manual.

I note toggerman's comment about zone AF but last weekend I found exactly the opposite….

John, I agree with you in that shooting aircraft is the only time I'll use zone AF (although I tend to use all points mode instead) as it works better. With aircraft you typically have a single object on a uniform background and at a distance and focal length that DoF usually doesn't matter, therefore you can focus anywhere on the object and don't need to be so precise. Single point can be difficult to keep on target, especially on fast moving aircraft, so use as many active points as possible.

Why the huge back focus on the helicopter?

Possibly just focus drift with trying to use AI-Servo on a fairly static subject?

Some tack sharp shots at 1/250 f/7.1 and 400mm
lots of mushy ones at 1/1000+ or 1/2000+ f8 and 400mm

Do you shoot RAW or JPEG? What ISO were you at with 1/2000th and f8? And if JEPG what is your noise reduction setting?

As for the rest all I can really advise is to just keep playing with the settings until you find something you like.

Back