Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Good review Joe, and mirrors my thoughts on just how good a camera it is.

Good review Joe, and mirrors my thoughts on just how good a camera it is.

Thank you, glad you enjoyed reading :)

Thanks for the review Joe.... Now look what you've done.... GAS resurgence! :D:ROFLMAO::clap:

No problem :) & Oops :D But I can assure you its worth the money so get your wallet out :p ;)

A useful read and perfect timing for me as I just ordered a 7D2 yesterday, being delivered at the weekend.

I haven't read too much about it yet, but is there a best method for being able to quickly switch between two case modes ?

Glad the review has been off some help to you!

In regards to switching case modes quickly when I go out shooting I firstly have when you click on the menu move it so that it is hovering over the case modes as the camera will remember the last menu you where on as long as you don't turn it off!, Then if you press the Q button on the back of the camera and go to custom controls and change the SET button so that is it brings up the menu it will go straight to it, I have found when out shooting once I got the hang of this it was a quick 3second pit stop so to speak to change case mode, this is how I do it. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
An interesting read Joe and I will be trying out your settings as I'm still not convinced by the camera. 2 of my mates have sold theirs, one because he bought a 1DX and the other because he wasnt happy with the performance all round of the MkII compared to the 5D3 he had before.

Your thoughts on ISO are the same as mine, too much loss of quality, certainly for wildlfe, at higher ISO

Took the MkII and 1DX to Skomer couple of weeks ago and tried them both back to back. One thing is for sure, on the same AF cases on standard settings the 1DX is comfortably better. I know that everyone says it should be given its 3 times the price but I simply look at it in terms of 'is it better' or not. The comparisons are being made because of the hype surrounding the MkII. Early adopters and some pros were making the comparison and it has gone from there. It would be interesting to see just how much of their work is actually sold from the MkII.

Unfortunately because I work away and cannot do any photography when I am on photography trips I don't really have time to mess about with both cameras. I go for the one that I know will get me the results.

I'm hanging on to the MkII for the time being but will be trying to hire a 5DS or 5DR for a week to see what that's like with a view to changing the MKII for one of those.

The MkII seems harder to get the hang of than the 1DX ever was which is why its good to see comments from people like yourself who is using the camera quite heavily. It gives me some hope that I can find a setting that gives me the results that I'm after.

Cheers Joe and enjoy

Gaz

I have not I'm afraid, I would like to be get to try that set up at one point but I have never been a fan of the 2x Converters as I always felt they degrade the image quality too much but would like to use the set up in due course and see how I get on with it.

I think you'd be surprised how good the mkiii 2x is on the mkii lens, I have a buddy overseas and his is always on and he is getting stunning results, but he is using a 1dx.

An interesting read Joe and I will be trying out your settings as I'm still not convinced by the camera. 2 of my mates have sold theirs, one because he bought a 1DX and the other because he wasnt happy with the performance all round of the MkII compared to the 5D3 he had before.

Your thoughts on ISO are the same as mine, too much loss of quality, certainly for wildlfe, at higher ISO

Took the MkII and 1DX to Skomer couple of weeks ago and tried them both back to back. One thing is for sure, on the same AF cases on standard settings the 1DX is comfortably better. I know that everyone says it should be given its 3 times the price but I simply look at it in terms of 'is it better' or not. The comparisons are being made because of the hype surrounding the MkII. Early adopters and some pros were making the comparison and it has gone from there. It would be interesting to see just how much of their work is actually sold from the MkII.

Unfortunately because I work away and cannot do any photography when I am on photography trips I don't really have time to mess about with both cameras. I go for the one that I know will get me the results.

I'm hanging on to the MkII for the time being but will be trying to hire a 5DS or 5DR for a week to see what that's like with a view to changing the MKII for one of those.

The MkII seems harder to get the hang of than the 1DX ever was which is why its good to see comments from people like yourself who is using the camera quite heavily. It gives me some hope that I can find a setting that gives me the results that I'm after.

Cheers Joe and enjoy

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

I would keep trying with the camera mate, it can produce very good results when you get to know it in and out, I must have done 30k shots with it now and personally finding I am masting it so to speak and getting to know its capabilities and limitations.

As you say I think the ISO we have always agreed on in previous posts, I find ISO 1600 to be the limit but always find myself sticking to 800 or below and if I need higher I will normally turn to either of my other bodies which I have to hand.

I will be taking the 7DII with me funny enough with the 6D to the Farne Islands towards the end of this week and next so will be using the 6D for static birds and the 7DII for inflight shots, would love to take the 1DX but its in for servicing. When you relate to work being sold with the II I always like to bring up Glenn Bartley, I have spoken to him a few times and came across really nice when I asked a few question, if you check out his work in my eyes you can't beat it and he has been a 7D only user since the model line was released.

Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the 5DS/R as I have heard a few people have mixed thoughts about that so would like to hear what it is like out in the field.

I would just like to say thanks for taking the time to reply and read my review, I hope it has been of some help to restore your faith in the camera, so to speak :)

Joe

I think you'd be surprised how good the mkiii 2x is on the mkii lens, I have a buddy overseas and his is always on and he is getting stunning results, but he is using a 1dx.

The way I look at that situation is this, I could use the 500mm + 2x on the 1DX I own giving me 1000mm f/8 now in this case it is most likely the subject is far away so you need as much reach as possible, OR I could use the 7DII with the 500mm f/4 + 1.4x III Extender to give me 1,120mm f/5.6 a entire stop faster along with better IQ as its keeping more pixels by only adding the 1.4x not 2x. This is a feature of the 7D which I love, like for example the 500mm lens is a 800mm effectively with the crop sensor of 1.6x.

Last edited:
Hi Gaz,

I would keep trying with the camera mate, it can produce very good results when you get to know it in and out, I must have done 30k shots with it now and personally finding I am masting it so to speak and getting to know its capabilities and limitations.

As you say I think the ISO we have always agreed on in previous posts, I find ISO 1600 to be the limit but always find myself sticking to 800 or below and if I need higher I will normally turn to either of my other bodies which I have to hand.

I will be taking the 7DII with me funny enough with the 6D to the Farne Islands towards the end of this week and next so will be using the 6D for static birds and the 7DII for inflight shots, would love to take the 1DX but its in for servicing. When you relate to work being sold with the II I always like to bring up Glenn Bartley, I have spoken to him a few times and came across really nice when I asked a few question, if you check out his work in my eyes you can't beat it and he has been a 7D only user since the model line was released.

Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the 5DS/R as I have heard a few people have mixed thoughts about that so would like to hear what it is like out in the field.

I would just like to say thanks for taking the time to reply and read my review, I hope it has been of some help to restore your faith in the camera, so to speak :)

Joe

I'm always keen to learn Joe. Unfortunately not everyone is so willing to pass on info in my experience.

I think what I need to do is take the camera, use it for a couple of days, and not worry to much about what I'm photographing. There are some really nice touches on the camera that I wish were incorporated into the 1DX. The ability to set different AF set ups on the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons for example. Although it can be done on the 1DX its far more complicated than the MkII setup although I've got around it to a certain extent by utilising the C1-C3 custom functions on the 1DX and assigning them to the m-fn button that will cycle through each one is sequence.

As for the 5DS. Hiring has to be the way to go initially for me. The massive resolution brings its own set of problems with camera shake and lens quality although from what I have seen even lenses that are considered average benefit from a resolution increase on the camera. I wont ever be in a position were a dealer or a company will lend me such a camera and its too expensive to but because you think it will be suitable.

Had a look at Glenn Bartleys web site and he has some great images on there.

I will definitely try your settings. I would love to have the confidence in it as a BIF body.

Cheers

Gaz

I'm always keen to learn Joe. Unfortunately not everyone is so willing to pass on info in my experience.

I think what I need to do is take the camera, use it for a couple of days, and not worry to much about what I'm photographing. There are some really nice touches on the camera that I wish were incorporated into the 1DX. The ability to set different AF set ups on the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons for example. Although it can be done on the 1DX its far more complicated than the MkII setup although I've got around it to a certain extent by utilising the C1-C3 custom functions on the 1DX and assigning them to the m-fn button that will cycle through each one is sequence.

As for the 5DS. Hiring has to be the way to go initially for me. The massive resolution brings its own set of problems with camera shake and lens quality although from what I have seen even lenses that are considered average benefit from a resolution increase on the camera. I wont ever be in a position were a dealer or a company will lend me such a camera and its too expensive to but because you think it will be suitable.

Had a look at Glenn Bartleys web site and he has some great images on there.

I will definitely try your settings. I would love to have the confidence in it as a BIF body.

Cheers

Gaz

I know what you mean about how customisable the 7DII is, I think in some ways like you say it is better than the 1DX in this area.

I can understand your concerns with the 5DS and camera shake, I had that sort of issue at slow shutter speeds with my old Nikon D800, it just required a fast shutter speed and a study tripod to get the shot, will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

I hope my settings can help you with your wildlife shots, as my 7DII is my main BIF camera and will be for along time to come as it offers everything I need.

Joe

@Joeturner11.....your review shows a couple of examples of "hit rate" but doesn't mention focal length, distnace and aperture (all of which are very relevant to the results). Can you fill in the blanks?
As you expand the depth of field then the hit rate will increase dramatically and shooting a bird against a blue sky even gives a weak argument for quasi hyperfocal shooting.

Bob

@Joeturner11.....your review shows a couple of examples of "hit rate" but doesn't mention focal length, distnace and aperture (all of which are very relevant to the results). Can you fill in the blanks?
As you expand the depth of field then the hit rate will increase dramatically and shooting a bird against a blue sky even gives a weak argument for quasi hyperfocal shooting.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I have added the EXIF to the sequences, thanks for spotting it out :) Without going into detail I have explained the review as simply as I could for people to understand without going massively in-depth about hyper focal etc.

Joe

Hi Bob,

I have added the EXIF to the sequences, thanks for spotting it out :) Without going into detail I have explained the review as simply as I could for people to understand without going massively in-depth about hyper focal etc.

Joe
Thanks Joe....it gives a little more meaning to the figures now.

Bob

Is anybody using the sigma 17-70 2.8-4?
I may be looking at a 7d2 as nothing seems to be able to keep up with my kids-well not in low light. So I am looking for a general purpose lens for the 7d2.
I did read some pages that say focus is slower with sigma than canon lenses on the 7d2.
I was thinking either the 17-70 or the 35 f1.4 from sigma. I don't really want more than f2.8 so possibly the new canon 35 f2?

I have a mk2 and the sigma 17-70os and it works very well. I would post some shots but traveling for the next few weeks

I'm a brand new member of this forum. First post! I'm from across the pond, New Jersey USA. I'm also a new 7d Mark II owner as of 3 weeks ago, upgrading from a 60D.. I ran across this thread and this site while doing a generic 7D Mark II search and thought I'd join to see what I can learn and what I can share. This thread has gone on for 44 pages but since I just got here I hope its not yet played out. I'll be going through all 44 pages to see if there is any new info I haven't picked up yet. All I can say is that I'm extremely pleased with everything about this new camera, especially the auto focus choices.

I use my camera for general use at present although I'm planning to get a Canon 70-200 IS f/4 L for sports and wildlife in the near term. Much of what I take currently is indoors and in low light at museums, cathedrals and such. For that I generally use my Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS on the 7D II. The low light performance with that combo is just stellar. I also use my generally excellent Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 but that lens is such a big and heavy beast especially on the 7D2, and I find I'm using it less and less..Although its the sharpest lens I own, the AF on the Sigma is inconsistent especially wide open in low light with low contrast targets. Its very frustrating at times and seems to focus more poorly on my 7D II than it did on the 60D so micro focus adjustments are in my future. As a general walk around lens I use my Canon EFs 15-85 f/3.5-5.6

Mark

Last edited:
Another shot with the 7D II, More images of Puffins, Razorbills etc. taken with the 7D Mark II here if anyone wants to have a look by CLICKING HERE

p1344993741-4.jpg

Last edited:
Another shot with the 7D II, More images of Puffins, Razorbills etc. taken with the 7D Mark II here if anyone wants to have a look by CLICKING HERE

p1344993741-4.jpg

Some lovely images there Joe. I'm off to Troup head in 10 days time so will give the MkII another go and maybe take in the ospreys in Aviemore. I'll give your settings a good try as I've got a few days there.

Some lovely images there Joe. I'm off to Troup head in 10 days time so will give the MkII another go and maybe take in the ospreys in Aviemore. I'll give your settings a good try as I've got a few days there.

Cheers mate the 7D II was tracking everything quite easily in flight when using my custom case mode 2, look forward to seeing your images from the trip. I hope the case modes work well for you as they have done for me!

Thank you for your comments! They were all taken with the 7D Mark II with the 70-300mm L version and 500mm
Great set of shots Joe - I'm seriously considering the 70-300mm L to go with my 7D Mk2. How are you finding it in general? I'm currently using the non-L version and it's pretty good, but just a little soft wide open, particularly at the 300mm end.
One of your selection is taken from the quayside - I guess this is with a wider lens?

Last edited:
Great set of shots Joe - I'm seriously considering the 70-300mm L to go with my 7D Mk2. How are you finding it in general? I'm currently using the non-L version and it's pretty good, but just a little soft wide open, particularly at the 300mm end.
One of your selection is taken from the quayside - I guess this is with a wider lens?

Hi Peter forgot to add the wide angle shots are taken with a 17-40mm f/4L or a 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye which was used for the quayside shot. Regarding the 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS It is seriously an amazing lens, I love it and was my main go to lens over the 500mm on the Farnes giving me 480mm at the long end on the 7D Mark II with superb fast focus, the IQ wide open is simply pin, I can't recommend the lens enough + its compact, lightweight and superb IQ which is ideal for travel :) Here a couple of shots taken with it on the 7D Mark II with the EXIF :)

7D Mark II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6L USM - 236mm - f/5.6 - 1/2500 - ISO 400

p1346558839-4.jpg

7D Mark II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6L USM - 300mm - f/6.3 - 1/1250 - ISO 160

p1344487033-4.jpg

and for landscape photography @70mm shows how flexible the lens is...

p1344824639-4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the response and some more great pics Joe. I might just order a 70-300mm L from Panamoz, they're going for £755 at the moment - pretty good! ;)

The 70-300L is superb. The only reason I don't have one now is because I now have the 100-400L which is equally superb.

Ordered a BG-E16 battery grip from WEX on Thursday. Paid extra postage for Saturday delivery. Waited in all day and it never turned up! :(

Back