Canon 7D or 5D MkII

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
While I'm not up for buying either yet, I am confused as to which represents the better camera and better value, I guess there £400 to £500 difference. By the numbering convention canon appear to be putting the 7D in the same group as the 5D, although the sensor and lens mount differ, the 7 D lacks the shooting options such Landscape etc as does the 5D, are they edging away from the full frame?.

The 5D2 is the sister to the 1Ds Mk III and is ideal for the landscape, wedding or portrait photographer.

The 7D is the sister to the 1D Mk III and is ideal for the sports or nature photographer.

Both are aimed at different audiences.

AndrewC summed it up perfectly!!

For me its about what you use it for, the 7D has the 1.6x crop (i believe) making it very useful for motorsports and animals. Added with the monstrous FPS it has!!

I currently have both (although hopefully not for too much longer), They are completely different tools for different jobs.

For sport, wildlife and general use at a reasonable cost the 7D is probably the best option, for the highest image quality, high ISO IQ, potential for the largest prints and an exceptionally wide AOV the 5D Mk2 is the better choice especially when used for landscapes. portraits and wedding photography.

Edited to add, obviously I must type faster!

I agree with all the above to a certain extent but so many put the 5D mk2 as your typical "Landscape" "Portrait" and "Wedding camera" but i can tell you it's a great Wildlife DSLR too. I don't really do much in the way of birds in flight so the 5D mk2 suits me as a bird DSLR, Romy Ocon also uses the 5D mk2 for birds, In flight also and Wildlife tog Neil Mcintyre uses his 5D mk2 more and more for his wildlife shots. It's a great camera......But not just in a studio :)

I agree with all the above to a certain extent but so many put the 5D mk2 as your typical "Landscape" "Portrait" and "Wedding camera" but i can tell you it's a great Wildlife DSLR too. I don't really do much in the way of birds in flight so the 5D mk2 suits me as a bird DSLR, Romy Ocon also uses the 5D mk2 for birds, In flight also and Wildlife tog Neil Mcintyre uses his 5D mk2 more and more for his wildlife shots. It's a great camera......But not just in a studio :)

think people favour the 7D than the 5Ds mk ii as it has the crop factor on, getting closer to the action with wildlife and motorsports. If I could, I would have both!! lol

Autofocus isn't up to scratch on the 5D MkII for action photography

5D2 will take EF lenses
7D will take EF lenses and the small quantity of EF-S lenses.

However both will really shine with top quality optics, L glass or close to it.

1D4 is possibly being announced next week, but at a premium price!

1D4 ???

god that confuses things more!! :)

There big rumour of a new Pro product from Canon, now it could be a camera a Lens or just a darn printer.

50years.jpg

By the numbering convention canon appear to be putting the 7D in the same group as the 5D, although the sensor and lens mount differ, the 7 D lacks the shooting options such Landscape etc as does the 5D, are they edging away from the full frame?.

The 7D and 5D aren't intending for NEWBS, they are intermediate / semi pro camera's for those of us that have ventured to the dark side of the control dial and use the AV Aperture Priority, TV Shutter Priority and M Manual modes

:tumbleweed:

think people favour the 7D than the 5Ds mk ii as it has the crop factor on, getting closer to the action with wildlife and motorsports. If I could, I would have both!! lol

I suppose it also depends on your glass, I'm very fortunate to have very big glass so can levy the need for a crop sensor and in the bargain i get that gorgeous F/F sensor. Having said that if i did not have big glass i would go for the 7D myself. :)

WOW is it? so no EOS lens will fit?

Sorry Chaz, as was noted by PearceJJ, and what I meant was the the 5D will only take the Ef lenses while the 7D will take the EF-S also, it has the red and white spot mount.
Perhaps for the general photographer like myself the 7D does, and from what your comments, seem to tell me is perhaps the better option. The difference in the body cost may be better spent in going for better lenses. Perhaps the ID4 will give a clue as to where Canon are going.
Thanks everyone for your input, horses for courses seems to be coming through as common theme(y)

The crop factor is an issue at the other end of the range as well.

If you think you may be using wide-angles a lot, the FF format is a better option. 24mm on your 5D = 38 on a 7D - hardly wide at all really.

If you've got Canon lenses already, your choice of new body could involve buying a new lens as well.

The question is what's the better choice for those of us who take wildlife and landscapes :(

Can stick a 10-22 / 17-40 on the 7D but if you want L glass people say the 24-105 isn't wide enough on a crop which leaves it lacking a bit in the walkaround L glass department?

The question is what's the better choice for those of us who take wildlife and landscapes :(

Can stick a 10-22 / 17-40 on the 7D but if you want L glass people say the 24-105 isn't wide enough on a crop which leaves it lacking a bit in the walkaround L glass department?

I use the 24-105L as a walkabout on my 40D and find it absolutely fine.

Try looking through your images and see what the widest you normally take at is. Thats what I did before changing from a 17-85 and was suprised by what I found!!

Then you drop in a 10-22, which at 300gms is lightweight in the camera bag and a great lens, or take a few steps backwards:D (I have the 24-105 as walkabout)

Try looking through your images and see what the widest you normally take at is. Thats what I did before changing from a 17-85 and was suprised by what I found!!

Nice idea, I found a couple of apps that do it for you but can't find one for the Mac! will keep looking though otherwise I'll look through them manually.

Then you drop in a 10-22, which at 300gms is lightweight in the camera bag and a great lens, or take a few steps backwards:D (I have the 24-105 as walkabout)

Good point, providing the range doesn't mean I'm always swapping, I'll have to have a go with a 24-105 I think :)

Nice idea, I found a couple of apps that do it for you but can't find one for the Mac! will keep looking though otherwise I'll look through them manually.

Ermmm are you not using Aperture if you have a Mac? Shame on you! :eek::LOL:

Canon 5D MK2... and I'm a Nikon lover.

Having worked at a camera shop and only left a week ago, we got to play with a lot of cameras. This includes the 7D and the 5D MK2.
The 5D has full Frame to start with, so if you want full frame or you want APS-C?

The main reason i dont like the 7D, (and not just me, everyone iv talked to about it) is the sound of the shutter. It sounds like a toy monkey with plastic symbols!!!

I don't get this disliking of sound. If you want sound, buy a hifi. If you want to take pictures, get a camera.

The 7D has the quietest shutter of any DSLR I've owned...

Exactly and the aps c sensor is a plus not a minus for a lot of us!!

Well said, about time people realize that Full Frame is not the holy grail of photography.

They seam to think that having APS C makes you a second class photographer. but forget that to a Medium Format tog Full Frame is second class, it's horse for courses.

What about L glass and L image quality without a red ring EF-S 17-55 f2,8 IS

What about L glass and L image quality without a red ring EF-S 17-55 f2,8 IS

Many people also rate the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 as a very good lens.

This debate is really all about what you shoot and where the ultimate destination of your finished images end up.

I have a 24-70L and find it a nice range for a walk around lens on a 1.6x crop (38-112mm), and would carry the 10-22 EF-s with me if I thought I would need a wider AOV.

As previously stated, I have gone back (if that is the correct word) from FF after having a 5d and 5DMk2 to a new 7D. The narrower AOV at the long end, better AF and faster FPS trumps the advantages of the FF cameras for me such as better high ISO quality, wider AOV at the short end and the larger pixel count.

As I do not usually print larger than 10" x 8" and I find the image quality from the 7D is more than acceptable.

I think the 7D has made the 5DII look out of date. What I would really like to see is an update to the 5DII, something like a 7D (new metering and autofocus) but with a full frame sensor.

I do, but it never clicked that I can do a select all and view the average! d'oh

The way I do it is I have a folder (for tidyness) containing a load of smart folders such as Lens type, Camera model, various apertures, various shutters speeds, and various focal lengths (10-20, 20-30, 30-40, 40-50 etc). It's really easy analyse what type of shots you take most of and taylor your gear to suit.

The way I do it is I have a folder (for tidyness) containing a load of smart folders such as Lens type, Camera model, various apertures, various shutters speeds, and various focal lengths (10-20, 20-30, 30-40, 40-50 etc). It's really easy analyse what type of shots you take most of and taylor your gear to suit.

Thats a handy tip!

Back