Canon 7D

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
I had it in the back of my mind that I might look for a change from my 50D and was looking at the Canon 7D. There seem to be a lot for sale on here and I was wondering why so many people are selling them or are there no more ads than for other models but I am not interested (read cant afford) them.:shrug:

I bought one second hand recently. Really cracking camera.

From what I have read on here they are a cracking camera but a little bit marmite, you either love it or you just cannot get on with it so hate it.
If I had the money i would buy one

spike

Maybe for a newbie they are daunting but for someone who has used a Canon camera sionce the 20D and also used the ST-E2 (wireless remote flash) it all pretty much made sense - Only the AF is different and even at that it wasn't too difficult to understand.

An outstanding camera with amazing quality video too!

I think most 7D sellers move up to full frame, with the 5Dmk2 prices dropping quite a bit recently now is a good time..

Seen a couple for sale recently, came from a 40D so apart from the AF menu, not that much different really, but can see how it could appear a bit daunting

Very satisfied with mine and only complaints I have seen are about noise when viewed at 100% using high'ish ISO

Nice solid cameras with plenty of customisation options, battery lasts for ages and no real cons I can think of, maybe a bit weighty I suppose

Certainly very satisfied with my 7D. Its a great all round camera for most things, unless to desperately need full frame. It absolutely does take a little playing with to get all the custom functions set up right.

I think most 7D sellers move up to full frame, with the 5Dmk2 prices dropping quite a bit recently now is a good time..

I have had a 5D for longer and I do prefer the FF only for the wider angle of the lenses but really there is not much in it. I like the 7D for the "extra" reach too..... Not much between them for me.

how does the viewfinder size compare between the 7d and 5d series cameras? is the 7d noticably smaller? i upgraded from a 30d to a 5dc and have always been wondering about the 7d. i love the viewfinder on the 5d but the higher iso capabilities and af of the 7d is always nagging me in the back of my mind.

20d - 50d then the 7d, you wont use all the functions on the 7d unless you have mastered the 50d! 50d is a excellant camera. The 7d is an amazing camera.

I think this statement might be a little misleading. The 7D has some capabilites, especially autofocus, that the 5D II can't match. As a wildlife or sport body to cover fast moving targets I would say that the 7D would be preferable to the 5D. If you are looking for top quality images and high ISO performance then the FF 5D might be a better choice.

Or just bite the bullet and get a 1D IV or wait for the 1DX

I think this statement might be a little misleading. The 7D has some capabilites, especially autofocus, that the 5D II can't match. As a wildlife or sport body to cover fast moving targets I would say that the 7D would be preferable to the 5D. If you are looking for top quality images and high ISO performance then the FF 5D might be a better choice.

Or just bite the bullet and get a 1D IV or wait for the 1DX

I didn't say the 5d2 was a better camera in every way, all I said was I'm seeing quite a few people going full frame, hence selling their 7D.

Whilst its not that important to me some see full frame as the ultimate for IQ.

how does the viewfinder size compare between the 7d and 5d series cameras? is the 7d noticably smaller?
I don't know but this site says...

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II-vs-Canon_EOS_7D

"Significantly larger viewfinder 0.71x vs 0.62x More than 30% larger viewfinder"

and this bloke says...

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos7D_vs_50D_vs_5DII.html

Viewfinder
The EOS 7D has a 100% 1x optical viewfinder. The 50D has a 95% 0.95x viewfinder and the 5D MkII has a 98% 0.71x viewfinder. From these numbers you might think that the 7D has the largest viewfinder, but if you did, you'd be wrong. You have to take format size into account. In fact the relative viewfinder screen size you see when looking through the viewfinder is given by (coverage x magnification)/(digital multiplier factor). The digital multiplier factor for APS-C is 1.6x and for full frame is 1x. So the relative viewfinder sizes are:
•EOS 7D - 0.62
•EOS 50D - 0.56
•EOS 5D MkII - 0.7
So the 7D viewfinder is about 10% larger than that of the 50D, but about 12% smaller than the 5D MkII

but I wonder if it matters? When I use my 20D I never notice anything wrong :)

Canon 7D - absolutely fantastic camera!

I use it for field hockey (has to be one of the fastest outdoor team sports on the planet) and it never lets me down!

Rugby and football are a breeze with this camera, especially after photographing hockey.

I love my 7D, I'm not sure why there are so many posts on how tricky it can be to use it. I went from a 550D to the 7D and haven't really hit any problems. The biggest problem I had was fixed when I took the UV filters off the lens and put a hood on instead. Sharpness has improved no end. If I was going to go FF I'd sell my 550D, definately not the 7D.

Another thumbs up for the 7d from me(y), I have the 5d mark II as well and although the 5d does have slightly better image quality the 7d is a great all-rounder and much better for moving subjects:)

Just purchased a 7D used here on TP after shooting (fairly unsucessfully) a local football match with a 60D and deciding I need a better AFing camera and can honestly say the 7D is better in every single way.

I'm not too hacked about an articulating screen before anyone points this feature of the 60D out.

I shot a couple of gigs with the 7D last weekend and was blown away with its AF ability.

Nothing quantitative comparison wise I'm afraid.

Also use a 5D2 and, obviously, they are different bodies which complement each other VERY well. You will see quite a lot of people here on TP have both.

In short, you cannot go wrong with a 7D as an APS-C body. The 5D2 is MUCH better at handling high isos and for control of DOF but for everything else the 7D pretty much wins out.

You will also see lots of 5d2s for sale here as well as 7Ds and I think a lot of to-ing and fro-ing in the For Sale forum is people just checking out the merits of these bodies for themselves.

Good luck with your selection.

Thanks for all your comments. I just might start dropping some hints what with December not that far away.

The 7D is a quality camera and as has been said above, performs a different role from the 5D. It is great for action or sports photography. Having said that I notice that David Ziser, an extremely well known wedding photographer recently has said he'd pick the 7D for weddings over the 5D if he had to choose. Can't say I agree with him, but then who am i to argue.

I was told by a Canon rep today that it wont be to long before the 7D mk2 and the 5d mk3 are not far away?
What he means by not far away i have no idea :)

Back