Canon 85 1.8 or 100 macro

Name
adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a lens for both macro and portrait and in a bit of a dilema. Would the 85 with extension tubes be a reasonable macro or should I go for the 100 which is a proven macro and double up for a portrait lens

Any adargvise appreciated as I know someone who is selling a 100 macro for a bargain price

what lenses are you pairing it with?

if you have another lens that covers 85mm very nicely maybe the macro?

do you like to shoot ambient and outside stuff in which case the 85 is faster?

david thanks,

I would use the 85 with extension tubes, or look at a dedicated macro lens from 60 - 100 mm. My other lenses are a 17-40 and a 100-400. One of the reasons I would be inclined to go for an 85 is it would be better in lowlight and fast AF, if I then really get into macro I could go for a dedicated macro lens from there

You may suffer from some autofocusing lag due to the macro extension tubes as the camera is expecting a certain aperture as reported by the lens but the aperture is being lowered by the tubes. The upside of using the tubes is that you can maintain a reasonable distance from the subject.

With the macro (100mm Macro) however it is designed specifically for the job and is also a mean portrait lens.

Back