Canon AE-1 or A-1

Name
Paul Tomlinson
Edit My Images
No
can anyone tell me which canon camera is better AE-1 or the A-1.

can anyone tell me as well which is a better canon 35mm slr than the two mentioned.

Canon F1, it's the daddy of old school and the EOS 1 is hard to fault in any way either.

Canon F1, it's the daddy of old school and the EOS 1 is hard to fault in any way either.

do you know where i can find one.

Paul

Out of the AE-1 and A 1 the A1 is the better camera.

And Yes the New Canon F1-N is the daddy of them all, it is pro spec camera and I think the F1-N has aperature prority where as the A1 has Aperature, Shutter Priority as well as Manual and Program modes. All of the above use FD Mount lenses and so can not be used on the EOS or Digital machines.

The EOS 1 machines are great and very well built the orginal EOS 1 is a bit old in the tooth, and was upgraded to the EOS1-N, I think the final incarnation of it is the EOS1-VS, which is a fully weather proofed camera. Also the lens one the EOS are autofacous and can be used with the Canon Digital machines.

The only downside to the F1 and EOS is the weight.
The Canon F1-N + 50mm lens approx 1200grams
EOS 1 with out a lens 1430grams

As far as i can remember, at that time the series went AT-1 (manual only), AV-1 (aperture priority), AE-1 (shutter priority, manual), AE-1 Program (shutter priority, program mode & manual), A1 (shutter priority, aperture priority, program mode, manual)
There was also an AL-1 that had rangefinder focusing or something similar...

Then you had the real 'pro' bodies, the F1 and F1n (built like tanks!)

THIS site may help

Thanks folks for the information regarding the named camera's, i do still use the AE-1 and very pleased with it, i think the one i will be buying next will be the F-1 or the F-1n if i can find one, if anyone is selling one please let me know.

PAul

Thanks folks for the information regarding the named camera's, i do still use the AE-1 and very pleased with it, i think the one i will be buying next will be the F-1 or the F-1n if i can find one, if anyone is selling one please let me know.
PAul

I assume you saw the links CT posted above ^^^^ ?

I have an A1 and it is superb to say the least and still use it now and then. Better than the AE-1 as it has more functionality.

I assume you saw the links CT posted above ^^^^ ?

I did and thanks for the info,

I am going to buy a F-1 or the F-1n if i can get my hands on one. Years ago i used the Zenith TTl and at the time thats all i could afford, i still want to use 35mm so the F-1 will do nice.

PAul[/QUOTE
I have two F1N body's and a A1, and can't recommend too highly the F1N, I made my living for more than twenty years with them, the A1 is a consumer grade camera that was built to a price ( they start off with the eventual selling price , it's place in the market when designing the camera, and work backwards from there ) The F1 was designed to be a working tool for professionals, to whom toughness and reliability was more important than price, it was backed up with an accessory system of drives , lenses , etc..that at the time was the biggest in the world
They will have to prise mine out of my cold dead hands !

I did and thanks for the info,

I am going to buy a F-1 or the F-1n if i can get my hands on one. Years ago i used the Zenith TTl and at the time thats all i could afford, i still want to use 35mm so the F-1 will do nice.

I do have a Canon A1 in mint condition with 5 fps motordrive, 4 lenses, and a flashgun. I'd go so far as to say the camera and the motordrive are the nicest you're ever likely to find - like they just came out of the box. You should find it in Classifiied, but way back although the pics may have died by now.

Let me know if you're interested - or anyone else and I'll renew the pics. Sadly it ought to go where it's going to be used, and it makes more sense for me to use the EOS 3 with my EF lenses.

I do have a Canon A1 in mint condition with 5 fps motordrive, 4 lenses, and a flashgun. I'd go so far as to say the camera and the motordrive are the nicest you're ever likely to find - like they just came out of the box. You should find it in Classifiied, but way back although the pics may have died by now.

Let me know if you're interested - or anyone else and I'll renew the pics. Sadly it ought to go where it's going to be used, and it makes more sense for me to use the EOS 3 with my EF lenses.

Hi CT, i could use the A-1 for all my collage work if you still have it, I did buy a 1N HS in mint condition, if you still have it let me know what you want for it mate.(y)

Back