Canon EOS 1D Mark 2 - good as a backup or replacement for 550d?

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Good afternoon all,

I'm currently running a EOS 550d, and I've been offered a Canon EOS 1D Mk2. Ooooo Full frame was my first reaction. But then I sat and thought it through... Is it too close to the same performance as my current camera?

What do you guys think? I could use the 550d for Rallying etc, and the 1D for indoor/closeup stuff.

Here are the 550d stats on the canon site:

• 18 MP APS-C CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC 4
  • ISO 100-6400, H:12800
  • Up to 3.7fps shooting
  • Full HD movies
  • 7.7cm (3.0”) 3:2 Clear View LCD with 1,040k dots
  • iFCL metering
  • Quick Control screen
  • Ext. Mic socket
  • Movie crop
Here are the 1D stats on canon site:

• 16.7 MP full frame CMOS sensor
  • 4 fps
  • 32 frame continuous shooting
  • DPP RAW processing software
  • DIGIC II
  • E-TTL II flash system
  • Wide ISO speed range
  • Weather resistant magnesium body
  • Dual performance memory card slots
  • LCD with 230k pixels
It's gunna cost me £190-£200, I would welcome your thoughts.... As I'm indecisive as hell (my personality).
My lenses are kit lens 15-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8 (if it helps).

Cheers

Jim

The 1d mk2 is not a full frame camera. Be very sure about what you are being offered here.

The 1Ds Mk2 is a full frame camera aimed at studio users and landscapes - the specs you listed are from this camera
The 1D Mk2 is and 8mp 1.3x crop camera with 8.5 frames per second and is primarily a fast action/sports shooting body.

Based on the price, I would be suprised if it was the full frame camera...

Your 18-55mm will not fit on either of the above cameras.

Last edited:
"I could use the 550d for Rallying etc, and the 1D for indoor/closeup stuff."

NOOOOOOOOO! :) The 1Dmk2 is a born sports camera. The AF and frame rate is light years ahead of your 550d.

First you need to check if it's a 1D mk2 or a 1Ds mk2. They are VERY different beasts

What you have to decide now is whether 8megapixels (the 1dmk2) is ok for you.

The 1Ds has 3fps and a terrible buffer size and buffer clearance speed, so it's :) not :( if it's a sports camera you want.

Last edited:
What you have to decide now is whether 8megapixels (the 1dmk2) is ok for you.

The 1Ds has 3fps and a terrible buffer size and buffer clearance speed, so it's :) not :( if it's a sports camera you want.

great advice werecow, I think I'll stay clear and save my pennies for something better.

Thank you so much to everyone who took time to respond, my knowledge of cameras and the different models is lacking, so your input has helped me loads.

A 7D will be fine for your needs

Depends what you want to use it for, the 1D MKII a great camera for action photography, built like a brick ****house, still using mine. Downside 8mps and ISO capabilities, can be pushed to 1600, but its big plus is its autofocus system. As others said, miles better than your 550D, especially with the right lens.

IMG_8455copy1_zpsd9d895f8.jpg

IMG_5787copy1_zps72893390.jpg

Another vote for 7d, had both, 1d buffer slow and heavy camera. 7d prices falling, still supported by Canon and likely to be for years to come.

Back