Canon EOS 40D - cheapest price?

£739 with a CF card and free P&P from this ebayer - 99% pos feedback too

"THIS CAMCORDER comes with 1 YEAR LIMITED Japan WARRANTY,if anything goes wrong need return to our UK address."

Camcorder? Some very strange cut and pasting going on in this ebay sale. Still, we pay our money and takes our chance.

Has anyone asked Kerso for a price yet?

I've emailed him for a price on the D40, no reply yet but only just sent it. Maybe he can do a bulk buy if there's two of us wanting one. :)

Rivit, just to clear it up the D40 is a nikon the 40D is the new canon :)

EDIT - FranchiseJuan beat me :p

Yer sorry bit of a typo there. I've asked for a price on the canon 40D. I'll get used to it at some point i'm sure :)

Sorry to throw this off topic but have people seen the price of the new D300 £1099 from them, already £200 cheaper, its so tempting :bang:

hi all
not been on the forum for ages with different things going on and lost a bit of interest in photography but visit this forum most days , so now im back and hoping to upgrade my camera to the 40d which is around $1,399 in canada(£656) then you have there tax over there which would be around 14% makes it a simalar price to the uk , im off over there soon and as a visitor u can claim the tax back so im told ,so hoping to do this in september and sell my 10d to fund this so will let you know how i get on , and glad to be back

Just a word of warning about buying Canon camera bodies from overseas guys and gals.

Unlike lenses, the warranties are *not* international and so Canon UK have no legal obligation to honour it and I believe I'm right in saying that they therefore don't!

Some of the HK traders on Ebay do offer a warranty, some for up to 3 years and the best ones will arrange for the camera to be repaired in the UK rather than being shipped back to HK for warranty work.

Just my 0.02p worth :D

hi all
not been on the forum for ages with different things going on and lost a bit of interest in photography but visit this forum most days , so now im back and hoping to upgrade my camera to the 40d which is around $1,399 in canada(£656) then you have there tax over there which would be around 14% makes it a simalar price to the uk , im off over there soon and as a visitor u can claim the tax back so im told ,so hoping to do this in september and sell my 10d to fund this so will let you know how i get on , and glad to be back

You could still be stung for duty and vat bringing it back through customs.

The price of the bundle from RGB Tech is amazing.

1 x Bundle: EOS 40D Body including:
Lens EF-S 17-85 IS USM
£999.99
Delivery £0.00
Grand Total £999.99

They sell the lens for £399.99. That makes the body just £600!! Or am I missing sommat?

Just a word of warning about buying Canon camera bodies from overseas guys and gals.

Unlike lenses, the warranties are *not* international and so Canon UK have no legal obligation to honour it and I believe I'm right in saying that they therefore don't!

Some of the HK traders on Ebay do offer a warranty, some for up to 3 years and the best ones will arrange for the camera to be repaired in the UK rather than being shipped back to HK for warranty work.

Just my 0.02p worth :D

good point, i thought they did as i bought a canon video cam in spain and that was repaired in the uk when it went wrong must double check on that before i go over to canada .

Bodies are a worry for warrenty. I've seen the 40D body only at £769 in the UK, £709 from Japan/US which works out at a possible £60 saving and getting it about two weeks earlier, but you've have to return it to the US/Asia if it breaks. I'll wait until it's released here.

It does suck though that list price in the US is £650 against £900 here.

Another 2 weeks guys and these babies will be everywhere.............................

Any word back from Kerso yet?

has anyone had a good indication of when it will be available in the UK?

Nope not heard from Kerso yet :( Emailed him on 29th, he must have a bit of a backlog at the mo :(

The 40D's due out this month but unless you've per-ordered it's gonna be first week in October till they hit the shelfs in most places.

£719 from onestop-digital inc p&p.

Just had a look and they also do canon 24-105mm L series IS lenses bundled with the 40D for an extra £555!!

I've got one coming already for steveinspain but this is a great deal!

good point, i thought they did as i bought a canon video cam in spain and that was repaired in the uk when it went wrong must double check on that before i go over to canada .

I suspect the camcorder had an EU warranty, like my 350D which was bought in the UK but had been sourced from Germany.

Nope not heard from Kerso yet :( Emailed him on 29th, he must have a bit of a backlog at the mo :(

I've sent another email to Kerso today, to chase the other request. Really unlike him to take this long... I hope all is ok with him...

has anyone had a good indication of when it will be available in the UK?

15th September is the latest guess. The place I had marked at a price of £769 went up to £799 yesterday.

Warehouse Express are quoting October. If that's true I may well pick one up when I'm in the US in October

Now up to £899 list price? EH! Guess I'll wait until they become available to see what price they are...

So do we really think the 40D is worth the wait (and extra cash)? I just can't decide! Was thinking maybe just go for a 30D (with decent lens) after all. Whats the main benifit to the 40D other than the 3" screen?

:thinking:

Main benefits to me:

The 40D has a larger viewfinder with a greater viewing angle. And with the option of interchangeable focus screens makes it better for manual focussing.

All 9 AF points are cross-type rather than just the centre one which makes the outer ones a lot more useful.

Permanent ISO display.

It has increased dynamic range with the highlight tone priority option, which going on the few comments I have seen about this feature on the 1DIII it actually works. It also has better handling of noise at high ISO.

In raw mode images are now stored in 14 bits, increasing the number of tones recorded per colour channel from 4,096 to 16,384.

A dedicated AF button on the back so presumably you can retain * for AE Lock. I would find that better than half pressing the shutter although it is not a major issue.

Three configurable preset options on the mode dial. When out you could configure one for shooting into sun and another for shade then just flip the dial to switch between them as required, instead of having to manually keep jumping between different settings.

And better ergodynamics.

And that is without considering it being quieter, the higher resolution sensor, larger LCD and live view facility, better low light metering, faster frame rate, larger buffer, in-camera cropping and rotating, or mini raw mode, all of which will be important to some. Ken Rockwell likes that you can set to a lower temperature for white balance.

And while people dismiss the sensor cleaning option, anything is still better than nothing but it is often missed that it includes the option of using a 'dust map' to save time having to manually hunt and clone spots out.

The auto ISO options sounds disappointing and not a proper ISO priority mode which is what it should be. And the environmental sealing sounds redundant when it is in only in half the places it is required.

Whether it is worth the extra depends on how much that will be. As much as I seem to be in the minority to like the changes in the 40D, if there was, say, £300 between then I would be tempted to put that money towards a lens.

Michael.

Thanks Micheal, sounds like you've doon a lot of reading up on it. Much appreicated.

Looks like there will be about £200 between the two. Which isn't really enough to get a decent lens. I've got a canon 24-105mm f2.8 L IS but i think i'll need a wide angle as well. I could get the 30D bundled with a EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 mkII lens for just a little more than the 40D but its just the kit lens which i'm always reading are not really much use.

10Mpixel rather than 8, but with a newer image processor to the 400d.

Raw and sRaw

6.5 frames per sec. 17 shot buffer in raw, 75 shot buffer in jpg

oh and wetherproofing.

I'll be upgrading from a 300D so it'll be a big leap for me :D

Oh and the kit lens isn't bad. It's nowhere near as good as an L lens, it feels really cheap and plastic, and yet I still get good shots from it.

For me the best features are the larger view finder and the faster, more accurate AF. I also find that manual focusing is easier, especially when using wide apertures (f/1.8 and larger).

Having the ISO displayed in the viewfinder and top screen is also handy though the fact that AutoISO only seems to have a range of 400-800 makes it somewhat useless to me unless I'm shooting indoors using available light only (even then I have found I often have to adjust it as ISO800 isn't high enough.

The buffer seems huge compared to my old 20D and the shutter noise is much less intrusive. The mirror is now moved via motors rather than a spring which is probably the reason for the quieter action. You can also select an option in the menu that enables MLU for as long as you like rather than just a single frame like the 20/30D.

With regards to the IQ..... the DPP software had a hissy fit with the first set of images I tried to upload to it and kept on crashing, despite a reinstall. I've just taken a couple now with a card that was formated in the 40D instead of the 20D and the software seems happy enough. (Seems a bit of a strange reason for it to crash though) so I'll be able to get some shots over the weekend and process the RAWS.

Whether it is worth the extra depends on how much that will be. As much as I seem to be in the minority to like the changes in the 40D, if there was, say, £300 between then I would be tempted to put that money towards a lens.

Michael.

If I take off the price I got for my 20D it cost me a little over £300 and IMO is definitely worth it for the improved AF, bigger viewfinder and larger buffer:)

Hi, I now have the 40D /28-135mm IS kit at £880 & 20 postage if interested? Still waiting on bodies only. Can do a nice price on Sandisk cards too. Ian.

I've emailed him for a price on the D40, no reply yet but only just sent it. Maybe he can do a bulk buy if there's two of us wanting one. :)

Hi, I now have the 40D /28-135mm IS kit at £880 & 20 postage if interested? Still waiting on bodies only. Can do a nice price on Sandisk cards too. Ian.

Whats the price of the body only

... dang beaten to it

Very interested! but got myself a nice 24-105mm f2.8 L IS from Steveinspain a week ago now so just need a good body (for me as well as the lens :LOL:)

Back