Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

Press the drive button to select the silent shutter mode, s.

A little softer but not completely silent.

Actually I now have another question.

Last night I attempted to download the images on the camera down to my desktop. With the 450D, and other cameras, all I had to do was connect it up with a cable and the Windows Import Pictures would open up and I could do it all through that. If that failed to appear I would go into Computer, locate the camera in there, right click and then either open the folder or click on the import pictures option.

For some reason this new camera neither triggers the WIP or appears in Computer. I have installed the software as per instructions and when that didn't work I uninstalled the software along with any traces of old files left behind from the 450 install using C Cleaner.

Googling the problem I found the option to use the EOS Utility to do what I want but when I open that up the only option I get is to Monitor Folders. The download images links are greyed out.

I know I can, hopefully, take the card out and use a card reader but I prefer the speed at which I used to be able to download images over that fiddly way of doing it.

I just cannot understand why the camera doesn't appear in Computer as a drive. I have also tried to do the above on my laptop too with the same results. PC is 7 and the lappie is 8.1 btw.

Actually I now have another question.

Last night I attempted to download the images on the camera down to my desktop. With the 450D, and other cameras, all I had to do was connect it up with a cable and the Windows Import Pictures would open up and I could do it all through that. If that failed to appear I would go into Computer, locate the camera in there, right click and then either open the folder or click on the import pictures option.

For some reason this new camera neither triggers the WIP or appears in Computer. I have installed the software as per instructions and when that didn't work I uninstalled the software along with any traces of old files left behind from the 450 install using C Cleaner.

Googling the problem I found the option to use the EOS Utility to do what I want but when I open that up the only option I get is to Monitor Folders. The download images links are greyed out.

I know I can, hopefully, take the card out and use a card reader but I prefer the speed at which I used to be able to download images over that fiddly way of doing it.

I just cannot understand why the camera doesn't appear in Computer as a drive. I have also tried to do the above on my laptop too with the same results. PC is 7 and the lappie is 8.1 btw.
I've never connected my 70D to the computer before as I just pull the SD card out but I just tried it,no problems,laptop(win8.1) just loaded the drivers and then a list of options appeared as to what I wanted to do with the files, try re-booting your computer and try again or try a different USB port,hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just tried it out on a mates machine, 8.1, with the same result.

Never had a canon camera near it so I installed the software etc. Plugged the camera in and nothing, zilch. No WIP or reference in Computer. Think I might try resetting the camera back to out of the box state next. See what that brings.

Never had a canon camera near it so I installed the software etc. Plugged the camera in and nothing, zilch. No WIP or reference in Computer. Think I might try resetting the camera back to out of the box state next. See what that brings.

I have always just taken the SD card out and put it into a usb reader or now I have a an SD slot straight in the side of my Macbook Pro. Quick and easy :D

Seems obvious but you did turn the camera on after plugging it in ?

I don't have a 70D, but for my 450D I have always just inserted the memory card direct into my computer and the EOS untility to download opens automatically. That also happens with my Canon G7X.

The reset didn't do much. It appears you cannot hard reset a Canon camera anymore.

What I did do is update the EOS Utility software to version 2.14.20 by downloading direct from Canon. The update from the 2.13.0 that came on the disc said there was no update available. There was and the new version works perfectly.

I'll need to take some more piccies now to see if the USB option works now.

The reset didn't do much. It appears you cannot hard reset a Canon camera anymore.

What I did do is update the EOS Utility software to version 2.14.20 by downloading direct from Canon. The update from the 2.13.0 that came on the disc said there was no update available. There was and the new version works perfectly.

I'll need to take some more piccies now to see if the USB option works now.
Ah,could be,I had terrible problems when I tried to get the wi-fi option to work, the new version of the utility software works a treat.

Also, make sure wifi setting on the camera is set to disable. If set to enable it will not interface with the pc. Drove me nuts until I figured that was what was wrong.

Now I have the problem of getting the RAW files to open in PS 5.

Downloaded the latest ACR release, 8.8, but Photoshop says it's the wrong version.

With the cost of PS 6 I'm close to giving up and going to LR, Elements or PSP

Ah,could be,I had terrible problems when I tried to get the wi-fi option to work, the new version of the utility software works a treat.

I can empathise, I still forget after a year of having one.

Now I have the problem of getting the RAW files to open in PS 5.

Downloaded the latest ACR release, 8.8, but Photoshop says it's the wrong version.

With the cost of PS 6 I'm close to giving up and going to LR, Elements or PSP

Photoshop won't recognise the files from the 70d, apparently Adobe stop adding cameras when they launch a new version to encourage users to buy the next one. I have found the dng. converter to work well, although you end up with yet another version saved on your desktop which is annoying!!!

I've been doing a bit of video on mine lately but I'm a bit put off by the loud clicking from the autofocus on playback.

I've looked for a setting that silences it but can't find one. Does anyone have an answer to the problem please?

I've been doing a bit of video on mine lately but I'm a bit put off by the loud clicking from the autofocus on playback.

I've looked for a setting that silences it but can't find one. Does anyone have an answer to the problem please?

I don't think you can silence can you. I know the other day I was using a friends lens on the 70d and the auto focus drove me crazy so I ended up using a stm lens which is designed for video has well. And didn't hear it on play back. What lens was you using for video?

Sigma 17-50 f2.8

Does it on the Canon 55-250 f4 too after I thought it might just be the lens

Is it a standard lens a stm version if standard then it will the stm were designed for use for video work. My 55-250 is ll can be heard, but the stem version you won't hear

I used my 70D last weekend for both video and stills and used the 18-135 STM and didn't hear any AF noise when playing back. The 18-135 STM is a tad sharper than the older IS version lens as well so I was in a win-win situation. I rarely use the 70D now as I passed it over to my wife when I got a 7D MkII but the 70D is still the best for videos IMHO. The audio sounds cleaner with almost no distortion on the default settings compared to the 7D MkII and being able to move the screen for the best view is really handy too. I don't think I'll be getting rid of this 70D any time soon.

Hi. New to this forum and forums in general...

Can anyone tell me which time-lapse remote to buy for a Canon 70D? Canon's own seems a bit pricey. There seem to be a lot of different models on Amazon around the £15.00 mark but none of them seem to mention that they're compatible with a 70D. Has anyone got first hand experience?

Hi. New to this forum and forums in general...

Can anyone tell me which time-lapse remote to buy for a Canon 70D? Canon's own seems a bit pricey. There seem to be a lot of different models on Amazon around the £15.00 mark but none of them seem to mention that they're compatible with a 70D. Has anyone got first hand experience?

I just got this for my 70d arrived today ain't had a chance to use it yet. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191177476638

Be interested to know what you think of it when you do. Great price.

Have you managed to try your remote yet?

I'm confused! I had this email from Neewar last week!

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your contacting.

But we don't have any timer remote which can work with Canon EOS 70D, sorry for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact with us if there is any other question.

Have a good day!

Best regards,

Neewer support team

Last edited:
Rhetorical question, but I wonder if Canon will ever release a firmware update that will allow the 70d to retain autofocus beyond f5.6?

I have a 2x converter I'm considering selling as won't work with my 70-200 f4 is,

Don't know about technical possibility of this being possible by firmware update. But I guess this will never reach the 70D. Has it's a selling point to buy there more expensive model!

Dear Paul,

But we don't have any timer remote which can work with Canon EOS 70D, sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a good day!

Best regards,

Neewer support team

Nope haven't managed yet, will try tonight when I get home and let you know

Dear Paul,

Have a good day!

Best regards,

Neewer support team

Just tried the remote and works fine.. Set timer to 30 secs, to take 6 images 10 sec interval, worked fine.

Stuck it in build mode and done 30 sec exposure fine as well

Hope that helps

Hello All,

Just picked up my 70D with 18-135 kit lens.

Are there any must haves for this camera? Lens, filters etc? I'm thinking the Canon 10-18mm STM and 50mm 1.4 USM.

This completely depends on what you want to do with the camera. The 18-135 lens you have is a great all purpose lens.

Personally, lenses aside, I find a battery grip a boon, but it's personal taste really.

I would say the 55-250 is a great lens for occasional longer focal and it's very cheap, i don't put a filter on mine.

After that it's all depending on you really...

Personally, lenses aside, I find a battery grip a boon, but it's personal taste really.

that - and its worth noting that where the Bge14 grip is over 200 notes, the Hahnel clone is about 100 and the Mieke clone is about 30 (ive used both hahnel and mieke grips on other xxDs without a problem)... i've just ordered a mieke for my 70D

The DTSE grip is even cheaper but i don't trust them - principally because their website claims that their batteries are based on sanyo eneloops, but pulling one apart showed them to be based on chinese batteries... I don't mind chinese technology if the price is right, but i do object to being lied to

that - and its worth noting that where the Bge14 grip is over 200 notes
I bought mine from DR for half the price. I much prefer using the grip too.

Are there any must haves for this camera? Lens, filters etc? I'm thinking the Canon 10-18mm STM and 50mm 1.4 USM.
Depends on your needs. I use the 18-135mm for most of my shots. I have the 1.8 50mm and it works albeit slightly noisy on focussing. A lens hood, spare battery and some memory cards. I also hate the included Canon camera strap (mine failed on me) so I'd look at replacing that.

I bought mine from DR for half the price. I much prefer using the grip too.

Depends on your needs. I use the 18-135mm for most of my shots. I have the 1.8 50mm and it works albeit slightly noisy on focussing. A lens hood, spare battery and some memory cards. I also hate the included Canon camera strap (mine failed on me) so I'd look at replacing that.

Mainly static car shots, portraits (read people/groups) and urban photo's. I have read about the strap issue. What would you recommend as a replacement?

Dont forget theres the new 50mm 1.8 STM.

I've seen that, but after trying that and the 1.4 USM I preferred the 1.4.

Back