Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Yes I have the Canon grip on mine. It does help with balance and grip. I personally would recommend one.

and this one from bank holiday weekend at rhyl air show ,got a half page spread in the north wales daily post yesterday tues 6/9/16 with this shot,sigma 150-600 sport
topsy turvy by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Excellent work!
Reminds me of......."and what were you doing there" ....."communicating, communicating.....giving him the bird, you know the finger"......"I know the finger Goose" name that film!

Yes I have one fitted ,a Meike one two reasons one I have big mutt hands ,and secondly my main lens is a sigma 150-600 sport and the rig felt front heavy without the grip .all works fine and the battery life is like forever

Yes I have the Canon grip on mine. It does help with balance and grip. I personally would recommend one.

Thanks very much. I decided to get the Canon grip off of amazon. Feels a lot better balanced with my 70-200 with it attached.

This thread has done its work and I am now the proud owner of a 80D! And a Tamron SP AF Di LD (IF) 200-500 mm lens to go with it - the 18-135 kit lens was looking lonely (my excuse, any road).

Been raining all day so all I have done is read the manual and photograph my toes.

Un touched and un processed (apart from a resize for the forum)
80d Tamron 70-300 VC USD @ 200mm
1/1000
F5.6
ISO 5000

I know I could have dropped the shutter speed to reduce the ISO but I was throwing the ball for the dog before taking this snap so my settings were for that. I was using AI servo, zone AF I think. coming from a 550d where it didn't even know what ISO 5000 was, this is amazing to me. Very happy.

Poppy on the 80d by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Tried the Tamron and 18-135 USM in identical conditions.

The Tamron is being part-ex!!!

18-135 knocks the spots of the Tamron (apart from reach, but I still have the 55-250 and it is a good example - got some cracking shots of Red Arrows with it.

I'm not saying the Tamron is bad, but you have to work at it (focus in particular is sluggish and variable), not what you want for air-shows. I also think it lacks contrast compared to my Canon lenses.

I can't rate the canon 18-135 IS high enough. It's a cracker of a Lens, exceptional focus speed and really great sharp images.

Have to say I am still highly tempted to swap my 7D MKI in for one of these. Must be worth it for the better iSO alone.
I wouldn't, at least not just for that.
There are many excellent shots posted here but I doubt the 7Dmkii would have done worse.
From what I have read the Dynamic range is better at base ISO but in the upper ranges the 7D still has it as far as noise goes. I would say, in my experience this really doesn't amount to much real world difference once you get away from low ISO and even that seems to be only an advantage to certain shots.
Saying that, I do think the 80D is the better camera, but for its features rather than IQ. Not that it's lacking IQ of course.

My old 5Dmkiii is now getting a rather nice layer of dust on it, that's how much I like my 80D.
This might all change today as I'm meeting up with my mate who has a shiny new 5Dmkiv Other than the flip screen it seems to be the best of both worlds. Out of my price range really though.

Sorry but I have to dispute your words of wisdom ,I do think there's a degree of what software is used to eliminate noise in it ,but there are two 7D2's in the house and a 7D so I have had plenty of time to play with the combos ,the mk2 marginally beats the 80d on speed of focus ,( that initial) failure to grab focus but once locked on I feel the 80D holds it better the joystick on the mk2 also helps ,but once it comes down to I.q and high I.s.o use the 80D wins hands down I have not even pushed mine to the limits yet but I have never yet noticed noise as being a problem .
A lot of perceived problems with any camera body are down to the use you intend to put it to ,the lenses used ,and the processing skills of the user I.e I have a friend that has a 7D2 coupled to a 100-400 mk2 lens ,but still shoots in j.peg ,some shots are super but others lack badly .

Ive never read that the 80D ISO wins hands down over the 7Dmkii before. Although im not disputing your findings, all the reviews that ive read comparing these cameras say high ISO wins on the 7Dmkii, but there isnt a lot in it.

The rest i agree with. As i said, i think the 80D is the better camera, but either are more than capable of taking any of the shots in this thread IMO. Its the operators skill that gets amazing images, not the gear.

End of the day, i stand by my advice not to get the 80D just for ISO advantages. The 7Dmkii is a very, very capable camera.

Last edited:
Ive never read that the 80D ISO wins hands down over the 7Dmkii before. Although im not disputing your findings, all the reviews that ive read comparing these cameras say high ISO wins on the 7Dmkii, but there isnt a lot in it.

The rest i agree with. As i said, i think the 80D is the better camera, but either are more than capable of taking any of the shots in this thread IMO. Its the operators skill that gets amazing images, not the gear.

End of the day, i stand by my advice not to get the 80D just for ISO advantages. The 7Dmkii is a very, very capable camera.

Mike.P was talking about getting rid of his 7D mk1 for the 80D

Mike.P was talking about getting rid of his 7D mk1 for the 80D

Ah, my bad then (as the Americans say). That will teach me to use my iphone first thing in the morning. Sorry about that.

In which case its a very good idea.

Shot in Raw today for the first time with this camera. Uploaded the files but my computer won't read the RAW files nor will Lightroom. Any ideas?

The latest version of LR will, what version do you have? If its not up to date you will need to update it. If its lower the 6 then i doubt you will be able ot use it.
As for the computer not reading them, i use Faststone to open them full screen for previewing, and also FastPicute codec to give me thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

Shot in Raw today for the first time with this camera. Uploaded the files but my computer won't read the RAW files nor will Lightroom. Any ideas?
The software from Canon will! I was amazed at the Canon software - last time I looked at it was when I bought my new 350D and it was not very impressive. It is now.

In another post, I asked for help with the user manual for my Yongnuo YN14-EX macro flash. The reason being I couldn't for the life of me get the flash unit to work properly on my 80D.

It works just fine on my 5D MkIII.

I've read elsewhere of some third party batteries not functioning correctly in Canon bodies. Is this functionality issue starting to include accessories now?

Anyone else have this problem?

In another post, I asked for help with the user manual for my Yongnuo YN14-EX macro flash. The reason being I couldn't for the life of me get the flash unit to work properly on my 80D.

It works just fine on my 5D MkIII.

I've read elsewhere of some third party batteries not functioning correctly in Canon bodies. Is this functionality issue starting to include accessories now?

Anyone else have this problem?

Re yongnuo flash - Mine will fire when camera mounted and will fire via a trigger/receiver when I press the shutter - manual mode only on the flash however. My 80d doesn't recognise it when I go to the flash settings menu.

Ordered mine today from Clifton Cameras and will arrive sometime tomorrow:banana: i haven't told my wife yet though:runaway:

A brave man, I think :(

Just returned from the Lake District which was the first serious outing for my 80D. I'm certainly well chuffed! Did a walk round Derwent Water starting in less than ideal conditions, but I got some cracking shots!!!!

Very pleased, and the 18-135 USM is a peach!

I've recently got back from a safari where I took my 80d and Mk1 100-400, although I got some amazing shots I did have some focusing issues with the 100-400 when it's at about 200mm focal length.
For some reason the focusing was slow and would hesitate back and forth until after 20 seconds or so when it would finally focus, however if I changed to a shorter/longer length focused and then moved back to around 200 it was ok.
This was using the AI servo mode.

Just before I went I had an issue with the friction ring on the 100-400 so sent it off to Canon for a repair and service and it came back as being all in perfect condition, so I don't suspect an issue with the lens.

Has anyone else found this? or have any ideas?

I've recently got back from a safari where I took my 80d and Mk1 100-400, although I got some amazing shots I did have some focusing issues with the 100-400 when it's at about 200mm focal length.
For some reason the focusing was slow and would hesitate back and forth until after 20 seconds or so when it would finally focus, however if I changed to a shorter/longer length focused and then moved back to around 200 it was ok.
This was using the AI servo mode.

Just before I went I had an issue with the friction ring on the 100-400 so sent it off to Canon for a repair and service and it came back as being all in perfect condition, so I don't suspect an issue with the lens.

Has anyone else found this? or have any ideas?
Possibly your menu settings not being right for whatever it needed to focus on ,this is a complicated camera in respect to its menu when used under adverse conditions .and it really does need thought as to what you intend to take with it

origonal file .jpg one from yesterday ,the original file was grossly overexposed due to very bright sunlight on the bird and a dark background ,plus it was a grab shot so no time to adjust settings etc ,what i am impressed with is how the file reacted to p.p .the original raw file unedited is shown at the top the p.p one is underneath .
stunned by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back